Newegg: Open box deals

Feileung

Limp Gawd
Does anyone have any experience buying open box products from Newegg? I've come across a couple of good deals but I'm not sure I want to take the risk.

Anyone have any advice?

I purchased an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro for $12.99 and received a used, scratched up, piece of junk with bent fins and a clicking fan. Never again...

Video cards, motherboards, RAM have all come and worked without issues for me. YMMV though.

Yeah, I'm not sure...ugh. It's a bit scary to buy an open box motherboard. It sames $36.00 though!

That could be a pain in the ass.

You'll be fine if the end user just returned it due to not wanting it anymore. If it was returned due to an actual technical problem newegg didn't catch or couldn't reproduce before reselling it, then you're screwed. To me it wouldn't be worth the chance, but it's up to you. Just your shipping for a return or rma would more or less make the savings worthless anyway. I just don't like buying someone elses problem.

I bought an open box mobo from the egg; saved $75 over new. Came full retail with everything and works great. Also if you happen to get a defect you have 15 days to return it I believe. I think most open box items are because the person wasnt happy with it and not the fact that something was actually wrong. I was skeptical my first time too but this will be my new way of buying. you can save so much money with open box items. and these items should stull have full warranties through manufacturer.

INFRNL

Video cards, motherboards, RAM have all come and worked without issues for me. YMMV though.

Very True. However my cousin has purchased 2 Gigabyte open box mobos (NF3 and DS3) and they have worked flawlessly. On the other hand he got a ATI graphics card and it got RMA'd real quickly.

For me depends on the product and how delicate it is or how vulnerable it was to abuse. A video card would be ok for me. A mobo with a lot of connectors and damage potential I would not buy OB just to save a few beans.

A buddy of mine bought an Open box Lan party motherboard for Socket 939 and it works great. He has had no issues from it and runs it 24/7.

Ditto (almost) for me. Got a K8N Platinum SLI on the cheap (got it for the SB Live! 24-bit, that was a mistake). I haven't had a single problem with the board, but it came bare as can be, not even a connector plate (USB, keyboard/mouse, etc.) :rolleyes: If you think you can take the risk, go for it. But if it were me, I'd probably keep it where I can make sure it works good from the start (i.e. ram you can run MEMTEST on), or I have a way to make sure it works to my expectations, 1 of the 2 :p

Ditto (almost) for me. Got a K8N Platinum SLI on the cheap (got it for the SB Live! 24-bit, that was a mistake). I haven't had a single problem with the board, but it came bare as can be, not even a connector plate (USB, keyboard/mouse, etc.) :rolleyes: If you think you can take the risk, go for it. But if it were me, I'd probably keep it where I can make sure it works good from the start (i.e. ram you can run MEMTEST on), or I have a way to make sure it works to my expectations, 1 of the 2 :p

Yeah, I bought a motherboard (see sig) and all it came with just the board alone. It didnt come with any accessories. Just the board and some static bag. However its working like new and I have saved about $90 from the retail version. Its a risk, but I said what the hell. And besides they offer you 15 days for it to return.

In the past, I believe they used to include more accessories with the Open Box items. Now, it appears that more and more of them are shipped as just the unit itself. I purchased an Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 MB last week from them for the low price of $29.99, and it turned out to be just the MB in an anti-static bag.

However, I emailed Asrock and they will sell me the I/O shield for $5 shipped - so I still make out well.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase most Open Box items from them - just don't count on anything else being included.

From my experience about 70% of open box work fine. Video cards are the best, because they either work or don't. I think I had to reflash a bios on a video card once, and also received a dead one. Motherboards can be more of a headache if something like the audio or ethernet aren't working and you spend hours trying to troubleshoot. I thinks it's worth the chance though. If you have to RMA I would do an RMA replacement so they can't hit you with the 15% restock fee. Most of the time they won't have a replacement so they have to give a full refund.I just got a Micro ATX board that had no accesories but works fine. As mentioned before the I/O shield is the only issue if you have a box of parts lying around.

Bought a MSI rd480 neo2-fi "open box"

Got a the motherboard itself (and luckily the crossfire selector chip) in an anti-static bag in a bunch of packing peanuts.
Worked fine after a BIOS update.
Was about $40 cheaper though.

Rather buy an "open box" from fry's
Like my ASUS P5N-E... was $100 open box, bought it, the southbridge was fried, returned it and got a brand new motherboard as an even exchange.

I don't trust newegg open box/refurbished items...but tigerdirect items i've had pretty good experience with.

I bought my second 8800GTX openbox and it came just as OEM does... works great, saved 75$ wootski!

I got my first X1900XT open box, had to RMA it immediately, I think it was a static victim. Got a second one open box, worked fine, but didn't OC very well. If you have to RMA an openbox item, you'll have to call Newegg to get them to waive the restocking fee, b/c RMA repair won't be an option. Its worth trying, if the amount you save is more than it will cost to send the item back if it is defective, which it normally is. Just make sure to test it immediately, the RMA period is only 14 days, IIRC.

As a system builder i order alot of motherboards and ive ordered many of these off newegg over the years...Ive had maybe 3 out of 50 that were bad and all were replaced or refunded within the 15 days..I make sure i have all the other pieces before ordering so i can put it together within the first couple of days and test it out...Some came with accesories and some not but i would not hesitate to order one if i was trying to save money...I have an msi am2 board coming right now and it saved me 50 dollars.

As a system builder i order alot of motherboards and ive ordered many of these off newegg over the years...Ive had maybe 3 out of 50 that were bad and all were replaced or refunded within the 15 days..I make sure i have all the other pieces before ordering so i can put it together within the first couple of days and test it out...Some came with accesories and some not but i would not hesitate to order one if i was trying to save money...I have an msi am2 board coming right now and it saved me 50 dollars.

pretty much what wesleys dad said.

i've built a number of systems off the "open-box" deals . my DOA rate was about the same as a new retail mb would be . most came bare bone--just a mb in a plain box . but a few were retail and had everything . some had just a few things but not others .

i don't buy the referbs unless there about half retail price and i have all the parts to run it as soon as it arrives --usually there is only a 15 day doa warrenty on them . they can be a very good buy if you know exactly what your getting . if you don't care if you get a rev 1.0, don't care if it has all the cables or back-plate--could be a deal--:cool:

Back