Newegg hard drive packaging

MassiveOverkill

[H]ard|Gawd
It took them 7 years (that's how long I've been shopping the Egg) but Newegg has finally come around:

NeweggNewPackaging.jpg

I ordered 3 drives through work, and specifically told them NOT to buy the drives from Newegg (my boss probably didn't listen because I buy everything else through them).

I was pleasantly surprised to find all three drives packaged individually above. No, it's not foam or retail-type packaging, but it's a step in the right direction and actually acceptible to me. Those 3 boxes were in with the rest of the stuff I ordered with full peanut packaging, so nothing was able to flop around.

Better late than never and finally I think I can start buying drives from the Egg again (all three drives are working fine but I'll be sure to update this post if any of them fail).

FYI I bought two 7200.12 1 TB Seagates and one 7200.11 1.5 TB Seagate drive.

Which warehouse were they shipped from? Every warehouse packs things differently.

CA,but believe I've received drives from both the NJ and CA locations, and never had them shipped like the above picture. At best they were 'sufficiently' bubble-wrapped.

The drive I got yesterday from the CA warehouse was packaged the same way. Hoping they all go with this style.

Sweet looks like the drives that I just got from Amazon. I like the packaging.

That is good news.

I bought 4 Hitachi 1 TB drives from New Egg about six weeks ago and they were packaged well... but not as good as above.

still like to see a bigger box myself, its packed good for vibration and stuff but the drive isnt packed all that well for an impact

then again if UPS (who ive blacklisted both at home and work) would stop playing football with them...

I wish Newegg would just get the nice foam boxes.

Even if it didn't provide any more protection than their regular bubble-wrap and peanuts... it would just make me FEEL better.

A step in the right direction to be sure, especially if this is a new policy (finally), but it still seems like there's room for movement for the drive just secured by some bubble wrap in a small box.

Lets hope they continue this trend. I am not going to raise my hopes unless if more users report this type of packaging from other warehouses.

Buy a SSD No need to worry about packaging lol

JK :D

LOL, they put mine in an envelope.

I just received two Seagate 2 TB LP drives from Newegg yesterday packaged exactly like the photo in the first post (inside individual boxes wrapped in bubble wrap).

I received a 1TB Hitachi on tuesday. Was packed the old way. Bubble wrap in a box of foam peanuts. Installed it in WHS yesterday and was making a funny noise upon boot up. Not recognized, DOA. Shipped from CA. My 6th Hitachi, and probably 20th hd from Newegg. First one I ever received DOA.:(

newegg_pack_wd.jpg

Ordered 9 WD Black Drives a few months ago, came in this packaging. No DOA.

Edit: Was 9 drives, curse my terrible memory.

Last edited:
Ordered 7 WD Black Drives a few months ago, came in this packaging. No DOA.

Well, that's how they pack it if you order multiple drives, but the fact remains that Newegg's single (or even double) drive packaging in their old style is still unacceptable.

Just ordered (3) 1.5TB Samsung F2 Ecogreens from the Egg. I was pretty impressed with the packing. This was all in another layer of bubble wrap and that in a tight box with peanuts.

IMG00023-20090820-1835.jpg

Just ordered (3) 1.5TB Samsung F2 Ecogreens from the Egg. I was pretty impressed with the packing. This was all in another layer of bubble wrap and that in a tight box with peanuts.
Nothing to be impressed about, bubble wrap and foam peanuts are technically not the correct way to ship a drive.

If one of those are DOA then i wouldn't personally blame the manufacturer.

Nothing to be impressed about, bubble wrap and foam peanuts are technically not the correct way to ship a drive.

If one of those are DOA then i wouldn't personally blame the manufacturer.

The drives were all in plastic cases inside the bubble wrap. Compared to the traditional Newegg packaging, I'll take it, thank you very much.

The drives were all in plastic cases inside the bubble wrap. Compared to the traditional Newegg packaging, I'll take it, thank you very much.
Well why didn't you say so :p

I just bought one of the same 1.5TB ecogreens from another merchant, i'll bet they're kick butt and problem free, for file storage anyways...

I think the bubble wrapping is superior to rigid foam blocks. Bubble wrap acts as a cusion and dampner, where the foam blocks just transfer any bumps and bruises to the drive.

But all of this may be worrying over nothing. I mean, the hard-drive heads are parked when powered off, so they cannot make platter contact. And the platters must be clamped pretty tightly (to withstand all of that centrifugal force)...

Although, I don't know how vulnerable the heads are to striking the walls of their parked location...

A step in the right direction to be sure, especially if this is a new policy (finally), but it still seems like there's room for movement for the drive just secured by some bubble wrap in a small box.
No room for movement in mine, but I would still be concerned with actual impact damage if the little OEM box is not packed securely in the shipping box.

I just got a 1TB Hitachi from Newegg and I was impressed with the packing. It was shipped from La Puente, CA. The drive was wrapped in a thick layer of large bubble wrap and packed in a box full of peanuts. Must more impressive than when I got the same drive from SuperBiiz.

i received 4 1tb hdds today from newegg...shipped from memphis... they came in a foam block and then was wrapped in bubble wrap on top of that...
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I just received a replacement drive from Newegg due to a DOA Samsung. The new one was packed like this. It's about time they listened to the complaints cuz I'm out 5 bucks everytime a drive shows up DOA. It was like 1 out of 5 drives were DOA and with those odds you'd be crazy to buy from them. Hell, I was looking elsewhere too while waiting for my replacement. I'm still a bit annoyed with them and I'm guessing the amount of degraded drives you get from inadequate packing.

And with this most recent DOA drive, it was just packed loosely in peanuts in the plastic shell along with all the items. Guess what happens to heavy things in a box of peanuts when the box is dropped by the boys in brown? Thunk...

I've gotten 3 drives from the Egg recently, all packed like the OP.

Last few sets of drives I ordered either came in tte manufacturer 20 drive box, or bubble wrapped and taped in a box of foam... the box got crushed from UPS... one set of 5 drives came in the foam that's shipped in the manufacturers 20 drive box... the foam was cut out, wrapped in bubble wrap, taped and stuck in a box of styrofoam...
I'll wait a few more weeks to another set of drives and see how they come...
They're mediocre drive packing is hte whole reason I have 3 samsung 1TB and not 4... the 4th was DOA and they refunded the drive which on sale the week before, instead of replacing the drive...
Heres hoping they start moving to enviro friendly packing and get recyclable materials...

Hello all,

I hope you're enjoying this fine afternoon.

I'd like to say thank you all for taking the time to post pictures and share your great, new experience(s) with the way we are starting to package up hard drives. We always had people here and there tell us that the packaging wasn't the greatest; however, we never had enough to where we needed to make this adjustment. As time went on and as Newegg grew bigger, we started to take notice into the smaller things, hard drive packaging being one of the bigger smaller issues. So, we tried out the packaging with a couple of the warehouses and so far it's been a great success. Still, not selling 100% defective free hard drives, we are making an attempt to lessen the amount of the returns.

If anyone ever has a bad experience with Newegg and would like it resolved ASAP, please notify me directly at [email protected].

Thank you all, and have a great day! :cool:

Last edited:
I thought I'd chime in and praise NewEgg for their new packaging. I read all the horror stories about how they packaged their drives, so I was a bit nervous after ordering 9 2TB Seagate drives from them. I made two separate orders within minutes of each other, one for 5 drives, and one for 4. They came in two separate boxes and were packaged beautifully!

Here is a photo of how they looked upon unboxing on 9/2/2009:

NewEggDrivePackaging.jpg

All drives checked out/no errors from the SeaTools scanning tool..

Thanks for listening to your customers, NewEgg!

Chris.

That's how they normally pack drives when you order in large quantity.

We're mainly discussing Newegg's packaging for single (or even two) drives, which used to be pretty sub-par, but according to some posts here and by Newegg Customer Support, it looks like they're trying to improve. Of course, I'll withhold judgment until I see it myself, but if Newegg indeed has improved in disk drive packaging, I may come back to Newegg to order disk drives if the price is right.

Of course, that's provided if CA tax doesn't make it cost more than Amazon. :(

It could be worse! I just received my intel SSD from buy.com and it came in a flimsy plastic packing envelope (not even cardboard!). I was expecting at least a box and packing peanuts... I mean it has no moving parts but still...

Just received my 2 Samsung 1.5TB drives. Came in bubble wrap and peanuts :( Each drive is in a plastic case but the whole thing is loose and I don't trust it.

I just got two drives, a new 250g which came in bubble+peanuts, and a 2t which came in the box like the OP.

@VulcaN - My Intel SSD and latest Vertex (since they shrunk the box) came in envelopes (the kind with built in bubbles). One was ZZF, the other Egg.

It looks like Newegg is finally making an effort, and that's a huge improvement over the past. But until they ship hard drives in a manner that doesn't void most manufacturers' warranties, I'll buy my drives elsewhere. This new method looks like it might be as good as what the manufacturers recommend, if great care were taken keep the drive boxes away from each other and the sides of the outer box. But that's a lot to expect from people who are still shipping some drives in a padded envelope.

Currently, I'm waiting for Zipzoomfly to stock the drives I want. Why ZZF? Because they are the only online vendor I know of who consistently follows the manufacturers' instructions for shipping hard drives! I assume the manufacturers have tested what works and what does not. Would the sky fall if a vendor followed their recommendations? :confused:

Well I was not so lucky with their "effort". I recently ordered two WD 750GB Green drives from last weeks Shellshocker deal. I received them today and the packaging was very poor. One drive was wrapped in a couple layers of bubble wrap. The second drive was placed inside a small white box and had one piece of bubble wrap that did not even completely go around the whole drive. The white box was sitting on top of the other drive and both drives were placed in one of their standard 9.5" x 11.5" shipping boxes with foam peanuts. The amount of foam peanuts was not nearly enough to pack the box and prevent movement. When I picked the box up off my front porch from after UPS delivered it, you could immediately tell the contents were loose and freely moving around inside the box. Plus, the drive that was inside the small white box was also not secure (due to the one small piece of bubble wrap) and it was freely moving around inside the white box.

I'll be surprised if either drive is functional. And even if they do work, I'm concerned their life has been shortened by the obvious rough handling and poor packaging.

The shipping label states my drives came from Newegg's RMA Warehouse in Whittier, CA. I'm in Michigan. Theirs no doubt they had a very rough ShellShocker trip. :mad:

Does it sound odd that my drives came from Newegg's RMA Warehouse in Whittier, CA? Did anyone else who ordered HDD from Newegg notice there drives were shipped from the RMA warehouse?

I've ordered atleast 30 drives from newegg, not a single DOA and they were all shipped in the old fashion of just bubble-wrap.

And that's how I've shipped most of my drives to users on here and never had a dead drive or complaint about packing.

A few lucky guys got some super nice packing when I stole some seagate boxes from my computer store I was working at. (The packages/foam they use to ship 5 drives at a time)

Does it sound odd that my drives came from Newegg's RMA Warehouse in Whittier, CA? Did anyone else who ordered HDD from Newegg notice there drives were shipped from the RMA warehouse?

When I received my x25-m g2 it came from their RMA warehouse in New Jersey.

OK, well I know when I picked up the box I could feel how the drives were sliding around inside the box due to the insufficient amount of foam peanuts to properly fill the box full. And the one drive that was inside the smaller box had practically no bubble wrap (one small piece that didn't even go completely around the drive). So if these drives check out to be in working order, would the poor packaging give any of you reason for concern to the drive's longevity? :confused:

I don't mean to sound like I'm making a big deal over this. But I was hesitant to order two drives in the same order because I knew how Newegg packaged drives in the past. But I had seen and read this thread prior to ordering and thought that perhaps things have changed for the better; giving me a sense of confidence in ordering. Needless to say I was very disappointed once the package arrived. This was some of the worst packaging I've ever seen and now I'm concerned about adding these drives to my system due to the rough trip they succumbed to from CA to MI.

So if these drives check out to be in working order, would the poor packaging give any of you reason for concern to the drive's longevity?
Considering that, if the manufacturer knew about it, it would void the warranty, yes. I can't claim any direct knowledge, but I have read many times that rough handling can result in a working drive with a shortened lifespan.

Back