Newegg = Chiefvalue?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Nitron, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Nitron

Nitron n00b

This discovery was made by a member of supraforums, Eugene.

Just thought I'd relay the message if it wasn't already known.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=2774358#post2774358

2. MooCow

MooCow [H]ardness Supreme

I just came across Chief Value... interesting.

Anyone know why they are doing this?

3. marley1

marley1 [H]ardness Supreme

any reason why they are doing this you think?

just to make more money?

4. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah. It's even evident in their website. They have all the usual pictures and good display of information, although it's nothing close to newegg.

5. Nitron

Nitron n00b

ttt.....................

6. MrSlacker

MrSlacker [H]ard|Gawd

their prices ARE the same....... or even better...

7. Compuwiz

Compuwiz Limp Gawd

very weird. Im still loyal to newgg though, they are the best out there. Im stickin with them for the majority of my computer parts.

Or will I?? Their prices are better:
    Plextor 16X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW SATA:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1
    http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productlist.asp?linkid=100&submit=search&description=PX-716SA/SW

Konica Minolta DIMAGE Z2 4.0MP:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=30-126-013&depa=0
    http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productlist.asp?linkid=100&submit=search&description=Dimage Z2

ChiefValue not only has cheaper prices, but has free shipping on majority of their products also. If its the same "company," then why do they have diff prices? (Has anyone else noticed how when newegg was relatively new they had really cheap/free shipping, and now they jacked it up?) Bastards...

8. Met-AL

Met-AL [H]ardness Supreme

They also rais the prices on things such as video cards when their stock is getting low.

For instance, I was gonna buy a Saphire X800-XT. It started out at $470. Now it is $520. The only reason I can determine is that their stock is getting low. Other sites have it listed as out of stock.

9. Bad_Boy

Bad_Boy 2[H]4U

this is a pretty interesting find. hmmmmm

10. Ballz2TheWallz

Ballz2TheWallz 2[H]4U

kickass find...but it generally is a couple bucks cheaper on chiefvalue

11. MaMMa

MaMMa [H]ardness Supreme

ownage, good shit

12. gamekid

gamekid Gawd

i signed up to chiefvalue.com incase i wanted to buy something from them and it was interesting to find hardforum in the "where did you here about us" list........

13. Erasmus354

Erasmus354 [H]ardForum Junkie

chiefvalue is more expensive in some items however...for example the lian-li pc65 is about 10 dollars more expensive at chiefvalue.

14. Jonnywalker2000

Jonnywalker2000 Limp Gawd

CRAP!!

I could have saved $30 bucks plus shipping on the 6600GT I just got today.

Thanks for the info on a new place to shop.

15. XDude

XDude n00b

Maybe they are getting ready to revamp their image and store and change their name or something?

Or, I work in a grocery store and I'm sure all of you have noticed, there is name-brand food and then store-brand. It is the same stuff. For instance, I work at a IGA grocery store and our IGA coffee is simply Folger's coffee in a different can and for cheaper. Because if someone isn't going to pay for Folgers they are still at least going to make a little money off the IGA.

Maybe Newegg has the same philosophy.

16. Bullitt

Bullitt 2[H]4U

Heh, I like the "free" shipping (nothings free, but I like that the price includes shipping).

17. SJConsultant

SJConsultant 2[H]4U

Heh...

Newegg is probably adding "competition" to themselves and still profiting in the end. :p

18. xaeniac

xaeniac n00b

19. patriot71

patriot71 Gawd

basatrds have G skill pc4400le. i waited for 3 weeks for newegg to get that crap in and there it was all along, at a cheaper price. what bastards.

20. corebreach

corebreach Limp Gawd

They're probably aiming for the slightly less tech-oriented buyer market. Note the fixed width ChiefValue pages, this is typical of "general" consumer sites.

21. cell_491

cell_491 2[H]4U

i barely ever purchase from newegg i prefer directron.com they have the BEST customer service on the web

22. Major_A

Major_A [H]ard|Gawd

Don't know if this helps any.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Buckus

Buckus [H]ard|Gawd

...interesting

24. robberbaron

robberbaron [H]ardness Supreme

25. corebreach

corebreach Limp Gawd

Those Whois lookups are the domain registrars addresses, not the person who registered the invidivual domain. This is what many registrars do for "private" registered domains because the admin at the owner of the company(s?) doesn't want their address pasted all over the internet.

26. Buckus

Buckus [H]ard|Gawd

Maybe ABSComputers started up Newegg. Maybe they started ChiefValue so that people who don't want to shop at a "Big" retailer will think ChiefValue is smaller. I dunno. They do seem eerily similiar...they're even both out of stock on the same items.

The categories seem similiar...

I did a search on AMD motherboards and did a count by brand (chiefvalue has the count on the motherboard-amd screen, Newegg you have to do a search first) but for six brands that I checked the number of boards they carry matched.

And who has ever heard of Syntax? Well, apparently both companies, and they carry the same board, and they're both out of stock on that same board.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=13-183-010&depa=1
    http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productlist.asp?linkid=107&submit=property&store=7

This is getting to conspiracy-like levels. Where is the grassy knoll? What about the magic bullet theory?

27. Qwertyman

Qwertyman 2[H]4U

just did a little price checking on items i would have purchased if i had the money
    the now famous L90D+ Imagequest
    Newegg $421 shipped
    ChiefValue $399.99 shipped

NE Raptor 73g $183
    CV $182

rather than keeping going on the first few HD in SATA were cheaper on newegg BUT with shipping Chiefvalue came out on top by about a dollar each time. Does chiefvalue, charge tax though?

28. Laforge

Laforge 2[H]4U

[​IMG]

Odd.. - I sent an email to newegg [which bounced... uh oh] and this is the reply I got.

Additionally..

Here is the registration info for all 3 companies (correctly done)

Here is my somewhat educated guess.

ABS Computers has actually been around longer even than newegg, and, although they aren't quite as large as say, dell... They are a 'full system builder' -- Even going so far as to be found on microsoft's partners page for 'recommended systems'

I'm betting that abs, in an effort to create an offshoot of themselves for the "parts buyer" (since they used to sell just computers) created newegg as a seperate company. (Although they run on the same hosts)

Now, chiefvalue, I'm guessing, was NOT started by either newegg, OR abspc

I'm betting that a year or two ago, when newegg started shipping from new jersey, they (abspc, who I say is neweggs' parent company) BOUGHT chiefvalue.com and now wholly own them.
    Now.. it is possible that abs also purchased newegg - I have no information to confirm or deny it.. But I think it's more along the lines of them creating the company

Now, if we can figure out what computer company they bought in tennessee (since they ship from there, too) we'd find a 4th entry in this mix.

Attn To:
    ChiefValue.com
    10820 Beverly Blvd A5 PMB 15
    Whittier, CA 90601

That means postal mail box : I.e. it's not an actual physical address

I'm guessing that someone wearing a newegg or abspc shirt goes over to the post office and picks up chiefvalue's mail (which is located in new jersey, still)

chiefvalue.com's Fax:1-562-692-5134
    abspc.com's Fax: (562) 695-8923
    newegg.com's fax: (909) 395-8907

Obviously.. chiefvalue and abspc's faxes are in the same city. Hell, they could be in the same building (likely) - but newegg is definately "somewhere else"

There is a 9 mile difference between where newegg and abspc are.

Keep in mind, this is all opinion. Hell, newegg could have bought abspc

but, if that where the case, I would think my email would have bounced from newegg.com, and not abspc.com

http://www.abspc.com/aboutABS/profile.asp
    Founded in 1990, ABS Computer Technologies, Inc.

http://www.newegg.com/app/about.asp
    Newegg.com, founded in 2000 and headquartered in Southern California

29. Vamirr

Vamirr n00b

This is really interesting. I've said for a while now that I liked the "old newegg" better than the new one. Like before newegg went on this huge ad spree, and the previously mentioned free shipping going to the now $5ish dollars per item.

Just this month, I had to RMA something to them that I got DOA. It took them 5 days to answer my email and 11 just to open the package once they received it. When newegg was a 'little guy' there wasn't anything like this to complain about.

I noticed on the Chiefvalue website there's a banner that says "Free Fedex Express Saver Shipping on Most Products" Anyone else remember Newegg used to have banners like that in those exact words?

I like how the UPS's are listed as "UPS (Back Up Power Supply)" on both websites.

30. Compuwiz

Compuwiz Limp Gawd

Yeah, I miss those days also :( . Free shipping or dollar shipping on most items was really nice. Ever since they got big, and everyone knows about them know, they are taking advantage of people now. Blast corporate America!

31. Megadeth_Guy01

Megadeth_Guy01 2[H]4U

Interesting... very interesting...

:rolleyes:

32. Dome

Dome 2[H]4U

they can have different prices because newegg has so many loyal customers who don't mind paying extra just because its newegg. if they find the chiefvalue site has the product for cheaper, they still get the business.

33. scottatwittenberg

scottatwittenberg 2[H]4U

damn... i hit backspace and lost what i typed....

ok..

kinda crazy..

i bet, like laforge said.. that they all started seperately.. and merged.. one reason would be to have more warehouses around teh country.. this protects them from things like.. natural disaster, or one warehouse burning down... and lets them ship things shorter distances which is cheaper..

newegg probably also knows that there are some people that don't shop there as much anymore because their prices did go up and they charge shipping on each item... instead of say per order.. so buying bulk rarely saves on shipping.. therefore cv gets some of those people back.. especially the ones that know what they are getting... newegg customer support and service, and less than newegg prices.. i like it.. and probably will be making my next order from there..

34. Tiny

Tiny [H]ardness Supreme

What I don't get is that they can ship me a motherboard with $1 for shipping, but RAM heatspreaders are $5 for shipping.

WTHeck :confused:

35. Laforge

Laforge 2[H]4U

Cause the shipping charge is calculated in the motherboard price.

When you look for ram heatspreaders and newegg comes up at $19 for them and zzf shows $5.. You aren't necessarily going to match up the shipping charges. {i know, i"m exaggerating}

Oh.. and compuwhiz.

Your sig is WAY over 10 lines, no matter what resolution you are at.

36. Tiny

Tiny [H]ardness Supreme

To an extent I agree. I bought a mobo off of newegg for 47 with 1 dollar shipping Friday, last week it was 57 with 10 dollar shipping. I was wanting the RAM Heatspreaders but the shipping just flabergasted me for some reason. So I bought them off of bestbyteinc for less with shipping then the egg was selling them alone. I guess I just have to start shopping around more. No big deal. I was just wondering.

37. Boscolio

Boscolio n00b

You know, 1 email to any of these companies (to an actual person) could probably answer any questions anyone has. I find it funny that everyone's just making assumptions based on sleuth work rather than just asking.

38. DryFire

DryFire 2[H]4U

39. Laforge

Laforge 2[H]4U

As you may or may not be aware

1) It is saturday
    2) I sent an email to newegg today about this.
    It bounced back.
    3) Why would they tell us?

Do you think it's common knowledge that the opteron processors (co-engineered with IBM designers) and the G5 processors (co-engineered with IBM designers) are SO very similair in fact that I am CONVINCED that they are, inf act, the same processor?

:-] Hence.. I've already tried.

40. Boscolio

Boscolio n00b

Well, since it bounced back, it obviously did not make it to a person. It didn't get bounced because you're on to some conspiracy.

It will not harm them in any way to say that they are affiliated with ChiefValue - hell, we'll decide to go there for the good prices or not whether we know if NewEgg owns them. It's possible that whoever gets the e-mail won't give a crap since it has nothing to do with you giving them money; however, it may fall into the hands of a curtious worker with a few minutes to answer the question.

You got me on the Sat. thing. You may have to wait until Mon. to get an answer from a real person.