Newegg Ad and CPU Usage

pduan87

[H]ard|Gawd
Since the other thread was locked, I'm starting a new one to ask one question:

For those having problems with Firefox, what version were you guys using? I get fat CPU usage as well and I'm using 0.9. I was wondering if v1.0 fixes it.

It would be a question of Flash plugin version, not Firefox version.

Time for an upgrade from that P60...

I'm using 1.0 and no problems here. Varies from 0-5% usage with Bearshare running in the background. It must be something else.

Hmm... where can I get a new version of the flash plugin?

And no I dont have a P60, dual 2400+ here :cool:

FF 1.0, Flash 7,0,19,0 installed. I'm beginning to think its the crappy video I have in the laptop. I have an ancient ATI Mobility M1 (with the most recent drivers, though thats not saying much - released 8/02/2001), in a Dell Inspiron 3800 600Mhz Celeron. Though I'd still rather not have to buy a new laptop coz of newegg (and I surely woudnt buy it through them if they're the one causing it).

And FWIW, even watching big flash animations like strongbad emails, it only peaked at about 75%. I'm thinking its just newegg's ad that is so processor intensive. Admins, get newegg to make a less intense ad!

I'm Having the same problem with firefox 1.0 and the current version of flash. its sitting @ 100% cpu usage from the firefox thread in taskmanager on my cellyD @ 3ghz with my radeon 7500. but on my 1ghz P3 with an ancient SIS vid card 2-3% cpu is used for firefox, strange :confused:

i am having slow loading times too with firefox 1.0, i dont know why, newegg has the same flash on their website and it isnt a problem at all..........if its a the video card then im screwed, hell i dont even know what kind of video card i have in this thing it is so old

ive been seeing this a lot, at all sorts of sites. Im running a 2200+ with a 9600XT. lots of flash ads do it to me.

theboohi said:
ive been seeing this a lot, at all sorts of sites. Im running a 2200+ with a 9600XT. lots of flash ads do it to me.

my computer is a LOT worse and older then urs but i have never had it this bad

What ATI drivers are you guys using? It only seems to be affecting ATI-based systems.

FireFox 1.0 and no problems here.

ATi 9700-pro 4.12beta drivers

moms comp:

using firefox 1.0 w/flash plugin 7.0 r19 - has the cpu problem

changed to same setup with flashblock extension installed - no more problem.

screw flash.... no more for me, and if i want/need to see it, i can just click a button. :)

berky said:
moms comp:

using firefox 1.0 w/flash plugin 7.0 r19 - has the cpu problem

changed to same setup with flashblock extension installed - no more problem.

screw flash.... no more for me, and if i want/need to see it, i can just click a button. :)

Hell yea! That works great!

I'm glad it wasn't just me that was seeing this same thing. Being that I'm currently browsing at work (multitasking at it's finest) it's really annoying having firefox take up most of the cpu cycles and quite a lot of memory from all the ads on the various pages I visit. It's compounded by the fact that I have at least 4 tabs open, all with these damn things going like crazy.
The latest newegg add is killing this P4.

Thanks for the idea on flashblock!

I'm having it too, it's freaking annoying, why doesn't kyle fix it/change the ad to something that isn't doing it?

the previous newegg add didn't do it.

It's even worse in Opera and I'm not the only one. A bug report for Opera was filed a while ago just in case it was a bug in Opera. Testing didn't show much except that the problem occured for some and not for others.

It doesn't matter what version of flash you use.

I did not have this problem until I upgraded to SP2, but that was about the same time the new newegg ads/new forum were put up, so I'm not sure if it's really something with SP2.

For me, the problem only happens with Flash ads from NewEgg. Other flash ads don't cause the high cpu usage like the sucker above.

What I do is disable plugins. That way you can view the newEgg GIF ad that doesn't suck.

On my Dell Inspiron 8200 Laptop with a P4 1.8ghz proc, Firefox 1.0, Flash 7, and my cpu usage stays at either 97% or 100%.

Weird. There must be some code looping... Hope some of you have e-mailed the FireFox team. Anyone have this problem with IE and Flash 7.0?

I'm thinking that since some people with the exact same software configuration have the problem and others don't it may be one of the following causing this:

1) Some tweak you guys have done, which around here wouldn't suprise me at all with how most people are tweaking their systems to the max.

2) An extension installed into FireFox

3) A disabled service per QuackViper.

I really don't see how this is Kyle's fault and he should fix it as suggested above in a previous post since 99% of the users on this forum don't seem to be reporting this problem. And besides, is it really a problem if your system is running high CPU while your browsing the web?

On a side note: HardForums doesn't get credit for adds that are blocked. So, if your blocking adds, your cutting into the money it takes to run these forums for us to use for free.

sleepeeg3 said:
Weird. There must be some code looping... Hope some of you have e-mailed the FireFox team. Anyone have this problem with IE and Flash 7.0?

Yeh, it happens in IE6 sp2 too.

I did go through XP services to see if any one being started or disabled was causing the problem, but that doesn't seem to be it.

I've seen the problem on anything from 350MHz to 3.06GHz, all with Nvidia cards, but, yes, it doesn't happen for everyone.

As far as I know, the gif newegg ad serves the same purpose as the flash one and does not cause the problem.

An option to choose which one we want to display would be great. (via a cookie or some way).

..same thing happening to me. firefox 1.0. latest flash. old, ancient, amazingly elderly geforce3....not even a TI :p

Met-AL said:
And besides, is it really a problem if your system is running high CPU while your browsing the web?

yes, it is a problem. simply because, for me anyway, it used so much cpu that firefox would just crash. also, on the rare occasion it didn't crash, it was using all the cpu, so loading/viewing new pages was near impossible and took forever. I personally think it is a problem with the flash ad's code. it doesn't happen on all flash ads, but i don't think that this newegg ad is the only one either.

As I sit here on my notebook, Compaq armada 7792dmt tillamook 266mmx, firefox is using 75% cpu average and this notebook has a 2mb S3 Aurora 64+ vid card. Makes you wonder what part of the code is causing it :confused:

The latest newegg ad, http://img-cdn.mediaplex.com/ads/4340/christmas_snowglobe_120304_728x90.swf?clickTAG=http://altfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F4340-23268-9829-1%3Fmpt%3D%5BCAC!!!!!TER%5D , is sucking up 30-40% of my cpu per browser window. I had cars/motor vehicles, hotdeals, and case modding open and couldn't figure out why firefox all of a sudden decided to stop responding. Killed the ad and all is fine again. The same happens in IE but with an additional 5-8% cpu usage.

Tested it on a second machine, same thing. Odd thing is, its half the speed of this pc, yet the browser's still going 30-40% here in the forum.

Just thought I'd point it out and hopefully it'll get fixed

Damn, I was wondering what was making me run so slow. At first I thought Spyware but it was only happening on this site so I'm like I wonder what's doing it. I opened up that link, the ad one, and damn, took me about a minute to close 2 winodws. I have a 1.7ghz, P4 Machine, and 256mb of ram, so its crappy but it can handle UT2004 let alone Web browsing.

No problems with my Linux box....

Fedora Core 3
FireFox

CPU usage....under 10%

Same with my Winxp box....under 10%.

ahhh, so it was brought up before.

Even then, IE is giving me problems just the same. Like I said, 5-8% cpu usage more than firefox (near 50% per instance) and I found its happening on more than this computer. Same with another similar box, and another that hasn't been given XP SP2 yet.

edit:
turns out the non-sp2 box is also running firefox 0.8 and some older flash plugin so it isn't the newer releases causing problems

I have Windows 98 SE and flash version 7,0,19,0 and IE 6.0.2800.1106 P3 450 :( and this is the only site that Im having really really slow load times on the pages. Even Newegg's site does not load this slow.

Dre

its gotta be the damm snowflakes, there poly count must be insain....time to upgrade that videocard.

Back