Newbie SSD Advice Needed

mmarsh

Limp Gawd
Ok, I am thinking of making the Switch to SSD. I am reading up on previous posts but there are some points that still confuse me.

I currently have a ASUS Rampage III running 2x300GB HD disk in a RAID 0

I also have questions concerning RAID and TRIM. I have read that TRIM doesnt support RAID however that firmware 1.5 for OCZ VERTEX 2 does allow it.

If I am forced to choose between RAID 0 and TRIM which should I choose?

I am thinking about either a Crucial C300 or a OCZ Vertex 2. Both support TRIM but only the Crucial supports SATA III. Then again I heard that the latest OCZ firmware supports TRIM and RAID.

What should I do?

Many Thanks.

Thanks Guys

Bad News. I made a mistake its the Rampage II not III I have. That means no SATA III.

1. Probably not worth upgrading the MB...correct?

2. Since I cannot have the 6.0GB pipe and am stuck with 3.0GB should I go with the OCS Vertex II or the Crucial C300. I suppose C300 can run on older SATA II controllers?

I suppose I could always upgrade the MB later but who knows what technology we will be on then?

Whats the best option?

Sata 6.0 is backwards compatible with sata 3.0. So there will be no issues there.

According to OCZ, a Vertex 2 is not a Vertex so their firmware releases are not interchangeable.

Just keep that in mind when you're reading changelogs of what's available for which while you go shopping.

Old Hippy

Interesting option...and 40 pounds is a minor investment for a 700 Euro card.

I'd have to check if I have the space inside the Box.

Interesting option...and 40 pounds is a minor investment for a 700 Euro card.

Kinda what I was thinking.

From my last 1.5 years of experience with 2 Intel SSDs in RAID0 I would venture a good guess that you're going to missing little if any by running a C-300 in SATAII mode.

The SSDs are so fast there's very little perceived difference between a single or 2 in RAID0 and the difference between the C-300 and the SATAII spec is much less....I doubt you'd ever notice.

That being said, there's no way I'd buy a C-300 without buying that card. :)

Back