newbie folding questions

poopsacky

n00b
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
20
Hi everyone, I just started folding like 2 days ago and I have a few questions. If I looked around hard/long enough I prolly woulda found the answers but I'm a big newbie. = ]

If I fold on more than one compy at the same time, all I need to do is set up the client and point it to my one account? Am I correct in assuming that each computer will get a different thing to work on / fold? Or do they get the same thing and work on it together? I am currently folding on my main computer, an AMD opty @ 2.8, and I'm in the process of aquiring some of my friends' old computers to fold with.

Has anyone tried to fold and run CS1.6? Both programs worked in harmony for a while and then after a tabbed-out I started to get random computer freezes when running CS. Now CS would crash randomly even without folding client on. I also got a 7800gt in my computer to play around with at about the same time so I'm not 100% sure that its a clash b/t the folding client and CS.

 
1) Yes, yes, no, sweet!

2) No, but try using the console+EM3 - it's a lot more stable and gets the same amount of work done.

 
That is a good combination you got going on. If you are gaming just don't use the graphical client; it has issues with some graphic programs.

With the freezing, are you by chance overclocking either the cpu or gpu? You say that it crashes without folding on, so that would mean that it crashes even when the cpu is not pegged at 100% Are these hard locks or reboot crashes? Does the screen artifact up like it could be coming from a problem with the GPU? Dusted out you comp lately? Voltages good? Have you installed anything else lately that is known to cause issues?

Welcome to the team! :)

 
MN Scout said:
With the freezing, are you by chance overclocking either the cpu or gpu? You say that it crashes without folding on, so that would mean that it crashes even when the cpu is not pegged at 100% Are these hard locks or reboot crashes? Does the screen artifact up like it could be coming from a problem with the GPU? Dusted out you comp lately? Voltages good? Have you installed anything else lately that is known to cause issues?

Opty 144 is overclocked and gpu is evga so it comes overclocked. It has not crashed/frozen in so long. I'm thinking that its either the GPU (not likely since it doesnt freeze during other more graphically intense games like FEAR, but theres still a chance GPU is to blame) or some file for CS got corrupted when I first ran console 5.04+EM3 and CS. These are hard lock ups. There was a little artifacting in FEAR before I turned down some settings. Volts should be good, PS is antec 450 that comes with antec sonata2 case. The only 2 things that I've changed recently is adding the new vid card and running console 5.04+EM3.

I'm upgrading my hard drive so I plan to re-install everything and give back the vid card, so hopefully this wont come up again.

*update* I've started folding on an old p4 @ 1.4Ghz. I'm pretty sure I configured everything correctly but it has started to work on a 10,000,000 step protein. EM3 estimates that it'll take 5 days to complete... Did I configure something wrong?
 
There are many different sizes of proteins, and they all take different amounts of time to finish. Of course faster your processor faster they'll get done. EMIII should tell you the name and how many points the protein is worth. It should also tell you how many points per day your computer is doing. There are some cases were EMIII wont have the newest protein information, so then you'll need to occasionally download an update from the site. Here is the list of the currently running projects. It has the protein name, # frames, points, and a link to the description of that protein - all there if you desire to find out more information than EMIII gives in it's 1 client view.

Depending on how many points that protein is worth about 5 days sounds right. Also you need to allow a frame(a bunch of steps make up a frame, normally there are 100 frames or 400 frames for a protein) or two to go by so EMIII can calculate things correctly.

 
Hmm, I see... I just thought that the maximum time that it should take to do any protein (1WU) was 3 days, and that if it takes more than that you're past the deadline.

Looking up the protein in the current projects list, it says that Preferred (days) is 39.00 and the Final deadline (days) is 57.00. Does that mean one time through for the slowest computer while mine takes 5 days?
 
It's more like "We would like to get the protein back by such-and-such a date" and "We HAVE to have this protein back by such-and-such a date." If you don't turn a WU in on time, it'll get sent out to another computer to be crunched. I also assume that the same WU gets sent out multiple times anyway to confirm results, but you make life hard for Stanford when the WU doesn't get in before the final deadline.

 
The way I understand it is that if it is not back by said time is that it is pretty much worthless. They send out the info that we send back to the people doing the research and what not on that protein.

Most of my deadlines seem to be a long way away not within two or three days. Also Some of the bigger proteins take 2-3 days to fold.

Since you play games you might want to work on creating a batch (about 2/3 of the way down) file to to stop folding before you game and then restart it afterwards

and lets not forget:

Welcome to the [H]orde

While you're here you might want to:

Go sign in at www.hardfolding.com our offical home
Click on over and get you one of the nifty badge that all the cool kids have
Add your F@H b0xen to the "D" to 1000 Boxen and Borging Mayhem! thread
And ADD your UD b0xen to the "D to 100" thread
Check the Sticky for all the info you need and what is goign on around these parts


and stay kick back and don't forget have some fun

copyright duster 2005


 
Back
Top