New Youtube anti-adblock tactic- being a resource hog- debunked, was Adblock issue

Looks like Youtube is making Chrome run slower by artificially increasing CPU usage when it detects adblock. The kicker is this affects Youtube premium members as well. Really makes me question the value of Youtube premium when they do scorched earth tactics like this.
It's about to get worse. Ultimately YouTube will win, but also lose at the same time. It's just a matter of time before YouTube finds a way to permanently block adblockers. The question is, will it matter to the adblockers? The adblockers will still find work arounds but at some point the tools will change and we'll just simply download the videos and watch them offline, which would most likely be seamless.

View: https://youtu.be/9JYFMMNYz60?si=nlj0Ue4V40ChxQa7

The war is real. Having an ad or two in the MIDDLE of the video is outright war! It's like getting interrupted in your bedroom just before climax. People don't like that and will fight tooth and nail to death to prevent this, trust me! ;-)

uBlock works well for now. But I am getting playback issues and I am using Firefox. Been going on for a few days. Last year I tried without ads and it was beyond obnoxious. Typically 3 ads per short video. The ads were longer than the video in some cases. Example, a 2 minute tutorial would have a 20 second intro ad, and then two midpoint ads which were also 20 seconds. The worst case was something like that for a video that was maybe a minute long. And some of these videos have very low views and were very likely not monetized.

If you want to watch a 15 or so minute video it would typically be 4-5 ads throughout the video.

I do understand they need a way to pay for everything but are the costs going up that much?

uBlock works well for now. But I am getting playback issues and I am using Firefox. Been going on for a few days. Last year I tried without ads and it was beyond obnoxious. Typically 3 ads per short video. The ads were longer than the video in some cases. Example, a 2 minute tutorial would have a 20 second intro ad, and then two midpoint ads which were also 20 seconds. The worst case was something like that for a video that was maybe a minute long. And some of these videos have very low views and were very likely not monetized.

If you want to watch a 15 or so minute video it would typically be 4-5 ads throughout the video.

I do understand they need a way to pay for everything but are the costs going up that much?

Is it costs going up, or is the amount of money that advertisers are willing to pay per display ad still in freefall? The clickthrough and clickthrough and spend rates for those sort of ads have to still be in freefall - since even if we assume people are still equally likely to see something they want and click through - they'll still only do it once even if they now see the add 500 times instead of only once.

They are going broke.

1718481655159.png

Ad and subscription growth. You are the product, and you'll pay to be part of the ecosystem.

Youtube was great when runtime didn't matter and people got paid. Now because Youtube is trying to be like Netflix without actually investing into it, they only pay if the video is a good 10 minutes or longer, which has promoted YouTubers to make extremely long content. Nearly every video is someone just talking about a subject that could be summarized to 5 minutes, but because of ad revenue it can go for 20 or 30+ minutes, all because they're trying to game the algorithm. To make up for lost time the use of adblock and sponsorskip are required to have a good experience. Youtube is just not that good anymore, with or without the ads. I also doubt the costs are really big when alternative websites are hosting YouTube videos are no cost to you.

Last edited:
Youtube was great when runtime didn't matter and people got paid. Now because Youtube is trying to be like Netflix without actually investing into it, they only pay if the video is a good 10 minutes or longer, which has promoted YouTubers to make extremely long content. Nearly every video is someone just talking about a subject that could be summarized to 5 minutes, but because of ad revenue it can go for 20 or 30+ minutes, all because they're trying to game the game the algorithm. To make up for lost time the use of adblock and sponsorskip are required to have a good experience. Youtube is just not that good anymore, with or without the ads. I also doubt the costs are really big when alternative websites are hosting YouTube videos are no cost to you.

I've known about the 10+ minute thing for a while. The problem is a video going from 5-6 minutes to 10-12 minutes means it will cost more for Youtube. How much more I have no idea.

I opened an inprivate window the other day and hit up YouTube. I got one of those new direct insert ads. It was 3 minutes and 30 seconds long, then got another 1 minute ad. Both were not skippable. :dead: That was the longest 4.5 minutes of my life.

I've known about the 10+ minute thing for a while. The problem is a video going from 5-6 minutes to 10-12 minutes means it will cost more for Youtube. How much more I have no idea.
I'm sure the hosting and bandwidth is minor. What YouTube wants is people to sign up to Premium, much like Netflix and Disney+. The problem is that YouTube doesn't invest into the content and instead just punishes creators. Back in the day YouTube started a movement for animators where an explosion of original animation just exploded on YouTube like Minecraft the Noob Adventures, but because YouTube won't pay unless videos are 10+ minutes long and animation takes a long time to create, it died. Remember Egoraptor and how he made original animations that people loved? He went and made Game Grumps where his videos were 10 minutes long to capitalize on this, but now they're like 20+ minutes long because everyone runs adblockers. As much I like SomeOrdinaryGamers, the dude just talks about nothing at some point in his videos. Gets to the point where I just end the video very early because I get the idea.

It's not like YouTube doesn't have great stuff on it sometimes, but YouTube doesn't fund it. Look as Hazbin Hotel and how much of a success it was... on Amazon. Pilot episode was on YouTube for a while, but Amazon picked it up. They're not doing anything with Helluva Boss but somehow the series continues without YouTube's funding. Monkey Wrench, LACKADAISY, Cliffside, and god damn Digital Circus which has exploded on the internet, is just existing in their service without any funding but probably hoping to get funded by someone other than YouTube. This stuff is just sitting in their backyard and instead of funding it and making it exclusive to YouTube, but instead they're worried about blocking ads instead of justifying the Premium cost. YouTube wants the same amount of money as NetFlix and Disney+ but without the same quality content. If and when YouTube does go full anti Adblocker, then people will just move onto many other alternatives because YouTube is just a video hosting source. They own none of the content created on it, and that will be their downfall.

I use Brave out of the box and it blocks the ads. It make my low powered machines run in slow-mo but it is still overall faster and less trouble the the ads.
If YT wasn't a cultural Marxist tech fuck blob I would gladly just pay. But they are shit so I treat them as such :D

It's about to get worse. Ultimately YouTube will win, but also lose at the same time. It's just a matter of time before YouTube finds a way to permanently block adblockers. The question is, will it matter to the adblockers? The adblockers will still find work arounds but at some point the tools will change and we'll just simply download the videos and watch them offline, which would most likely be seamless.

View: https://youtu.be/9JYFMMNYz60?si=nlj0Ue4V40ChxQa7 Anti Aging facial

thank you so much for your suggestion

Back