New WHS Vail Server - Case Question

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Sep 6, 2007
Messages
11,610
I'm planning to build a new server for Vail, and I have all the parts chosen except for the case. I currently have a CM Storm Scout that I am not using (and am trying to sell for $70 shipped). I also can was thinking of a CM HAF912. Which would give better cooling for the following system:

Q8300
Intel DG33FB
4 GB Patriot DDR2
(3) Western Digital Green 1.5 TB drives.

I currently have my main system in a HAF 912 Advanced, and am quite happy with that, as I was with the Storm Scout. What would your preference be? Would that change if cost wasn't a factor?
 
How many drives do you plan on having in the future?

I would probably start off with this case for maxmimum price to performance:
$90 - NZXT TEMPEST EVO

Supports up to 8 drives right off the bat and you can add another 4 drives if needed by buying this module:
$25 - Cooler Master STB-3T4-E3-GP 4 in 3 Device Module w/ 120mm Fan

However if price wasn't a huge factor, I'd go with one of these:
$350 - NORCO RPC-4220 4U Rackmount Server Case
$400 - NORCO RPC-4224 4U Rackmount Server Case
 
Most likely, I'll be sticking with these three drives for now. I might possibly go to four, but that's it.
 
Most likely, I'll be sticking with these three drives for now. I might possibly go to four, but that's it.

Then go with the HAF 912 then. It's a good and well priced case that's more than capable of cooling that setup just fine.
 
Thanks for the feedback. I jumped on Newegg's $49.99 deal for the 912 yesterday, and it should be waiting for me when I get home today.
 
That's why I built a new server, so I could RAID the drives. I have an existing HP 490 running WHS 1.0 right now. I bought it with plans on running Vail on it....but not if DE is definitely going to be a goner. Last I read, Balmer was looking into it, but that doesn't necessarily tell me they are considering re-adding DE.
 
Back
Top