New Westinghouse 22" (LCM-@@W2)??

picked up this beauty after waiting in line for 5 hours at my local bb. For settings i kept them at default and changed my digital vibrance and color settings in windows. Looks much better now ;D, For the price you cant beat this.

On another note i was disappointed it did not include a dvd-d cable but i suggest everyone here looking to get one to buy them off ebay. You can usually fetch them for $8 bucks shipped which is much better then the price at wal-mart which is $26 dollars. Radio shack and otherstores sell "monster " cables which cost upwards to $60 to $100+!!

will dvi actually make a differnence in picture quality though on this monitor?

On a side note, I tried my 360 connected via component and it looked horrible. The picture was all dark, nothing was clear it just didnt look anywhere near as good as it does with the vga cable.

Aleks said:
On a side note, I tried my 360 connected via component and it looked horrible. The picture was all dark, nothing was clear it just didnt look anywhere near as good as it does with the vga cable.

something probably wrong with cables or the screen. The other 360 shots ive seen look fine.

I got to Best Buy at around 12:20 a.m. and there were like ~150 people in front of me. Got in the store at ~5:03 a.m. and ended up getting 3 monitors (One for me, my brother, and a friend). Of course, I had to check out 2 times so I didn't leave the store until ~7.

All the monitors were placed somewhere else than they normally were, so I wasn't prepared for that. However, there were like ~15 of them and by the time I got in there only 1 or 2 had been taken :eek:

Gotenks326 said:
All the monitors were placed somewhere else than they normally were, so I wasn't prepared for that. However, there were like ~15 of them and by the time I got in there only 1 or 2 had been taken :eek:
Same thing happened with me, I was freaking out that there weren't any left, especially since I was fairly close to the front of the line. Luckily my friend who was heading to the DVD area saw a pile of them and grabbed two :)

The monitor looks pretty good so far, very happy for the price.

got this bad boy today also or yesterday i guess . I camped out from 8pm there were over 2k people at that bestbuy as the line wrapped all the way around the store and then spilled out onto the road that went towards the highway .

So far i like it. Can't tell if there is any back light bleeding and the viewing angles are pretty nice.

I have to order a dvi d cable though prob will do it tommorow and i will also try out my 360 and hd-dvd add on tommorow. I will let everyone know how that goes. But man its a huge step up from my 19inch lcd

frappe33 said:
I replaced a 20" NEC with the 22" Westy this AM. I love the size of the screen, but the overly bright screen was giving me fits. I tried using the contols in the panel to correct it, adjusting the contrast and brightness, but I couldn't for the life of me get it to look the way I want, which is the way my NEC looks. Dark deep, true blacks, definate whites without washing out the text.

To correct the issue, I went into the video card settings, the Nvidia settings that installed with the card and adjusted the settings here in the Color Correction section. Here is what is working for me now, hope this helps someone.

On the Westy itself:
Brightness - 70
Contrast - 70

In the Nvidia Color Corection
Brightness - 98
Contrast - 100
Gamma - 78

I made these changes and saved as a custom color profile fir each user on the computer. It now will auto load this at start up, and everyone is able to see the screen in all it glory.

As for other issues - No dead or stuck pixels, no lines, no edge bleeding. For $200 I am very satisfied. For $400, it would have gone back.

If I turn up the contrast on the monitor to above 15, everything looks so sharp and bright. I'd like more color, but it ends up just hurting my eyes and looking unnatural.

Anyone know what sharpness does? Don't see any difference with different settings.

Aleks said:

I tried both the component cable and the VGA cable. The component will let you run 1080i and the VGA will let you run 1920x1080 (according to the Xbox settings). The VGA setup is MUCH better.

vudoo said:
and the VGA will let you run 1920x1080 (according to the Xbox settings). The VGA setup is MUCH better.

I don't have Live yet and havent had the chance to hook up the xbox online to download the fall update so I can only go as far as 1360x768.

If you could do me a favor and let me know something, Set the xbox to 1360x768, and let me know if 1920x1080 looks any better (even though most games will probably downscale to the lower resolution)

What DVI-D cable should I buy for this thing? I see that are different kinds of cables...i.e. 18+1 or 24+1 cables. What do I want and what is the difference?

I have some questions:

1. Who took off that plastic protective thing that was on the screen? Am I the only one that did?

2. What's the maximum HD resolution this monitor can support? It says it can only do 1680x1050 max (though that's not an HD resolution...), but some people are saying that they can do 1080i??

3. What's the difference between 1920x1080 and 1080i with this monitor? Why can component only do 1080i with this monitor, while VGA can do 1920x1080 (What can DVI do then?)?

4. Do you guys mean "Xbox" or "Xbox 360" (I don't know if you're referring to the old Xbox or the 360)?

5. Because this is a 16:10 monitor, I should only run 16:10 resolutions so that nothing is stretched and what not, correct? As far as 16:10 goes, I've only found the following resolutions that are 16:10 in Windows:

1280 x 800
1440 x 900
1680 x 1050

Is this what everybody else is getting for Windows resolutions?

6. Some people are apparently doing 1080i and other HD resolutions with this monitor and their game consoles. Are you guys getting black bars on the top and bottom (Because HD is 16:9 and the monitor is 16:10)?

7. If I connect this monitor to a cable box, can I view widescreen content (non-HD, I still have regular cable)? I always see in widescreen on the bottom of the screen on a lot of television shows, but I haven't been able to see the widescreen with this monitor yet (If I change the screen ratio to "full" the image is just stretched; I don't get the extra widescreen picture).

8. Are there supposed to always be bars on top when watching widescreen movies? Is this because the monitor is 16:10 or that sometimes movies are anamorphic widescreen?

i get a high pitch noise from mine when its on, and when i tap the side it stops, then starts again....

do i need to rma/ exchange it?

~Joe

i would definitely exchange it for that.

i'm bringing mine back because of the backlight bleeding and buzzing noise when i turn down the brightness below 100. hopefully the next one i get isn't worse.

buzzing noise when i turn down the brightness below 100.

same thing!!!!
Im glad im not the only one

there is totally no point of calling, lol

I have another question, is it too late to buy the 3 year BB warenty?

~Joe

Hey everyong, I'm a long time lurker just couldn't pass up this deal. I stood in line with ~1500 people at the Best Buy in Charleston, SC for this deal. Got there at 12:30 with about 300 people in front of me. We were directly in front of the trash compactor at the back of the store. By 5:00 am the line had stretched all the way to the install bay which is at the opposite corner of Best Buy. The doors opened, I got in, grabbed my screen, went to the checkout, got the PSP Plan for 24.99 (you *should* have 30 days to get it I believe if you didn't get it Friday), got out, hopped a curb and was home by 5:20. Had a stuck pixel but after 20 minutes of the good old UDPixel program and a couple "turn off, turn on while pressing lightly on the stuck pixel" it went away.

First Impression coming from a 6 year old Dell 19" CRT:

It's a very nice screen, can't really beat the price. I have come across ONE banding issue that I'm not really certain is a banding issue at all(maybe someone can clear this up). The default backdrop from Counter-Strike: Source seems to have some banding on the right side. I'm not sure if it was there all along, never really paid attention.

To clear up any questions with the 8-bit vs 6-bit Color:

Linky to About.com Article

"...color depth was previous referred to by the total number of colors that the screen can render, but when referring to LCD panels the number of levels that each color can render is used instead. This can make things difficult to understand, but to demonstrate, we will look at the mathematics of it. For example, 24-bit or true color is comprised of three colors each with 8-bits of color. Mathematically, this is represented as:

* 2^8 x 2^8 x 2^8 = 256 x 256 x 256 = 16,777,216

High-speed LCD monitors typically reduce the number of bits for each color to 6 instead of the standard 8. This 6-bit color will generate far fewer colors than 8-bit as we see when we do the math:

* 2^6 x 2^6 x 2^6 = 64 x 64 x 64 = 262,144

This is far fewer than the true color display such that it would be noticeable to the human eye. To get around this problem, the manufacturers employ a technique referred to as dithering. This is an effect where nearby pixels use slightly varying shades or color that trick the human eye into perceiving the desired color even though it isn't truly that color. A color newspaper photo is a good way to see this effect in practice. (In print the effect is called half-tones.) By using this technique, the manufacturers claim to achieve a color depth close to that of the true color displays. "

All in all though, a great little screen that I will definitely enjoy.

got the PSP Plan for 24.99 (you *should* have 30 days to get it I believe if you didn't get it Friday),

Is that the Best Buy 3 year plan?
Were do i go to get it?

~Joe

JBrinley said:
Is that the Best Buy 3 year plan?
Were do i go to get it?

~Joe

I think if you take your recipe to the customer service desk and tell them you want the warrantee they can set you up with it. Atleast the cashier that sold me the screen told me I had 30 days to get the warrantee if I didn't want to Friday.

You can purchase Performance Service Plans (PSPs) or Product Replacement Plans (PRPs) for products you purchase both online and in our stores. Plans can be purchased during checkout or at any time during the product's return/exchange period (listed on the product receipt, which can be printed from My Account for online purchases).

To purchase a PSP or PRP in the store: Simply tell your Best Buy sales associate you'd like to purchase a plan, and he or she will provide paperwork for registering your plan when you check out.

To purchase a PSP or PRP online:

1. Add the product to your cart.
2. If a PSP or PRP is available for that product, it will be line-listed in the "Don't Forget" section. Click Add to add it to your order.
3. If you choose our store pickup option for your online purchase, you'll receive your PSP or PRP coverage details in an e-mail. Please print and save this email for your records.

Note: In some cases, Best Buy stores will have more PSP and PRP options than those offered online, with longer terms and different coverage options. Please contact your local Best Buy store for details.

To purchase PSPs/PRPs for items previously purchased:
For both online and in-store purchases, please visit your local Best Buy store or call 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289), and bring a copy of your receipt (you can get receipt copies online for BestBuy.com purchases).

Plans can be purchased at any time within a product's return/exchange period, which is listed on the product's receipt.

Found It! :D

Okay. So I decided to take advantage of all the inputs even though I don't have Xbox or Playstation or anything.

I got a VCR that no one uses, connected it to the cable, and connected the component wire (Video, R Audio, L Audio) from the VCR to the monitor. If I put the monitor into "Video" mode, I can now watch cable television on my monitor. I'm not sure if other people find this obvious, but I found it pretty cool.

Of course, picture quality isn't amazing or HD quality, but it's definitely better than having to spend $100 on a decent TV Tuner. Now I'm trying to find out how to connect the audio to my PC so it plays on my PC speakers (Klipsch 5.1 :D ) instead of the monitor speakers.

I'll take pictures later when I get my camera back. As of now, I'm watching Mythbusters on my Westy and typing this on my Dell. :D

Question: Does anyone know what YPbPr inputs do? It looks like the components, and I'm wondering if I can improve the quality by using them...

xxkrnxstylezxx said:
Okay. So I decided to take advantage of all the inputs even though I don't have Xbox or Playstation or anything.

I got a VCR that no one uses, connected it to the cable, and connected the component wire (Video, R Audio, L Audio) from the VCR to the monitor. If I put the monitor into "Video" mode, I can now watch cable television on my monitor. I'm not sure if other people find this obvious, but I found it pretty cool.

Of course, picture quality isn't amazing or HD quality, but it's definitely better than having to spend $100 on a decent TV Tuner. Now I'm trying to find out how to connect the audio to my PC so it plays on my PC speakers (Klipsch 5.1 :D ) instead of the monitor speakers.

I'll take pictures later when I get my camera back. As of now, I'm watching Mythbusters on my Westy and typing this on my Dell. :D

Question: Does anyone know what YPbPr inputs do? It looks like the components, and I'm wondering if I can improve the quality by using them...
i'm using component with my ps2, and it's pretty bad...but it's good enough :)
as for your sound situation, i used a simple splitter type of thing that came with my speakers (creative 2.1)
it allows me to plug in the R audio and L audio into a converter type device that i can directly plug into the audio input (where the wire from speaker --> sub usually goes)

omz said:
i'm using component with my ps2, and it's pretty bad...but it's good enough :)
as for your sound situation, i used a simple splitter type of thing that came with my speakers (creative 2.1)
it allows me to plug in the R audio and L audio into a converter type device that i can directly plug into the audio input (where the wire from speaker --> sub usually goes)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...Split the wire that connects from my sub to the soundcard and plug one into the card and one to the monitor. But the problem is, I would only be able to plug into either R or L on the monitor, unless I can find a wire with 2 inputs on each side. Still a bit confused on what I need because of the R/L inputs on the monitor to the soundcard + sub to the soundcard.

Okay, so I have been having fun playing with the self test and service menu's on this monitor. Hadn't seen it posted anywhere else, so might as well contribute it here. What I have found so far:

1) If I have it on DVI:
- Turn monitor off
- Hold down Left and Right (3rd and 4th buttons down)
- Turn monitor on
- Go into OSD, and there are two pages of info. Color levels on page one, second page has the lifetime timer

My monitor appears to have been manufactured on 6/19/2006. And also has a string listed at the top of 22Z1MS0013. No clue if thats a panel designation or what.

2) If I have it on VGA
- Turn monitor off
- Hold down L & R
- Turn monitor on
- It goes into a self test or sorts, flipping between full screen colors. Yellow, green, blue, black, grey... Like a built in dead pixel checker.

Havent tried to adjust anything, the colors appear to be programmable for each color temperature, but no idea why I would mess with that since there is the user setting.

Edit:

22Z1MS0013 sure does sound like its the Chi Mei M220Z1-L03. Odd combination of letters to be a random coincidence.

gepetto said:
can you add a tuner to this lcd ?
You could just try using it with a VCR or something. That's what I'm doing and it works well.

xxkrnxstylezxx said:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking...Split the wire that connects from my sub to the soundcard and plug one into the card and one to the monitor. But the problem is, I would only be able to plug into either R or L on the monitor, unless I can find a wire with 2 inputs on each side. Still a bit confused on what I need because of the R/L inputs on the monitor to the soundcard + sub to the soundcard.
You need a 1/8" mini to stereo RCA Y-cable. You can get them at your local Radioshack.

xxkrnxstylezxx said:
Really? I can't find it...
Menu -> Misc -> PIP Menu

Can anyone help me with my questions:

Gotenks326 said:
I have some questions:

1. Who took off that plastic protective thing that was on the screen? Am I the only one that did?

2. What's the maximum HD resolution this monitor can support? It says it can only do 1680x1050 max (though that's not an HD resolution...), but some people are saying that they can do 1080i??

3. What's the difference between 1920x1080 and 1080i with this monitor? Why can component only do 1080i with this monitor, while VGA can do 1920x1080 (What can DVI do then?)?

4. Do you guys mean "Xbox" or "Xbox 360" (I don't know if you're referring to the old Xbox or the 360)?

5. Because this is a 16:10 monitor, I should only run 16:10 resolutions so that nothing is stretched and what not, correct? As far as 16:10 goes, I've only found the following resolutions that are 16:10 in Windows:

1280 x 800
1440 x 900
1680 x 1050

6. Some people are apparently doing 1080i and other HD resolutions with this monitor and their game consoles. Are you guys getting black bars on the top and bottom (Because HD is 16:9 and the monitor is 16:10)?

7. If I connect this monitor to a cable box, can I view widescreen content (non-HD, I still have regular cable)? I always see in widescreen on the bottom of the screen on a lot of television shows, but I haven't been able to see the widescreen with this monitor yet (If I change the screen ratio to "full" the image is just stretched; I don't get the extra widescreen picture).

8. Are there supposed to always be bars on top when watching widescreen movies? Is this because the monitor is 16:10 or that sometimes movies are anamorphic widescreen?

Gotenks326 said:
You need a 1/8" mini to stereo RCA Y-cable. You can get them at your local Radioshack.

Menu -> Misc -> PIP Menu

Can anyone help me with my questions:

Thanks, I think I also need a splitter to split the wire from the sub to the soundcard.

PIP is cool, but I wish I could make a bit bigger.

And I'll leave the other questions to the experts, but I took off the protective cover. :p

Gotenks326 said:
I have some questions:

1280 x 800
1440 x 900
1680 x 1050

1. yes, it's just there for protection until you get it home

2. 1680 x 1050 is the max resoluation, 1080i refers to an hd resolution which equates to 1920 x 1080 interlaced, the monitor will downscale this to 1680 x 1050 though

3. refer to #2, this monitor accepts any resolution up to 1680 x 1050 through vga and dvi, with the xbox 360 you can set it to output to 1920 x 1080 with the update, however the monitor downscales (i'm assuming :confused: don't have a 360 hooked up that way)

4. Xbox 360

5. set it 1680 x 1050 (the monitor's native resolution) you'll get the best picture quality, and yes it's 16:10 the correct aspect ratio

6. no black bars, it fills the whole screen. for video and s-video inputs you have the option to set it to normal (4:3), full (16:10), or zoom (whatever that is, it looks like shit on everything i've tried)

7. no idea, sry :p

8. yes, dvd's played through the computer with certain programs will keep their aspect ratio so if the movie 16:9 it will have black bars top and bottom. also for movies that are 4:3 there'll be black bars left and right. some programs offer an option to stretch the image though. so in the ends it's a mix between what res the movie is on dvd and how the program displays it

jbaczek said:
2. 1680 x 1050 is the max resoluation, 1080i refers to an hd resolution which equates to 1920 x 1080 interlaced, the monitor will downscale this to 1680 x 1050 though
Why can't it do 1080p and just downscale that?

jbaczek said:
3. refer to #2, this monitor accepts any resolution up to 1680 x 1050 through vga and dvi, with the xbox 360 you can set it to output to 1920 x 1080 with the update, however the monitor downscales (i'm assuming :confused: don't have a 360 hooked up that way)
I'm still a bit confused then. It does 1080i but it squishes the image down to something equal to or under 1680 x 1050? How can you downscale something that is 1920 x 1080 to 1680 x 1050 without stretching anything keeping the same aspect ratio?

jbaczek said:
6. no black bars, it fills the whole screen. for video and s-video inputs you have the option to set it to normal (4:3), full (16:10), or zoom (whatever that is, it looks like shit on everything i've tried)
How is that possible? That must mean that things are being stretched to fit the screen, right?

Gotenks326 said:
Why can't it do 1080p and just downscale that?
1080p is 1920 x 1080, if what ppl are saying about the xbox 360 outputting 1920 x 1080 (1080p) then it can accept 1080 and it is downscaling it

Gotenks326 said:
I'm still a bit confused then. It does 1080i but it squishes the image down to something equal to or under 1680 x 1050? How can you downscale something that is 1920 x 1080 to 1680 x 1050 without stretching anything keeping the same aspect ratio?
it distorts the image until it fits 1680 x 1050 so yes it does stretch the image to 16:10, or actually squishes it if it's coming from 1920 x 1080 which is obviously higher res than 1680 x 1050, lol

xbox 360 outputs at 1080p (1920 x 1080) ---> monitor downscales to 1680 x 1050 and changes the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 16:10, screen will be filled with the image, no black bars

hope that was clear enough

Gotenks326 said:
How is that possible? That must mean that things are being stretched to fit the screen, right?
yes, they are being stretched to fit the screen if there are no black bars

So, this monitor cannot do true 1080i/p because it will just downscale it down and everything will be out of proportion? How good does 1080p look when downscaled to whatever this monitor downscales it to?

Also, it can't be downscaled to 1680 x 1050, right? Then that would mean that it would lower the vertical resolution by 30 pixels but lower the horizontal resolution by 240 pixels (Thus really out of proportion).

xbox 360 outputs at 1080p (1920 x 1080) ---> monitor downscales to 1680 x 1050 and changes the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 16:10, screen will be filled with the image, no black bars
When it downscales to 1680 x 1050 isn't the aspect ratio already 16:10? Why does it change the ratio again?

Gotenks326 said:
So, this monitor cannot do true 1080i/p because it will just downscale it down and everything will be out of proportion? How good does 1080p look when downscaled to whatever this monitor downscales it to?

Also, it can't be downscaled to 1680 x 1050, right? Then that would mean that it would lower the vertical resolution by 30 pixels but lower the horizontal resolution by 240 pixels (Thus really out of proportion).

When it downscales to 1680 x 1050 isn't the aspect ratio already 16:10? Why does it change the ratio again?
No true 1080i/p

Downscales it

No idea how good it looks downscaled from 1080p, hopefully some1 with a 360 can tell us

It does downscale to 1680 x 1050, it doesn't cut off the image, just stretches/squishes it

Difference between 16:10 and 16:9 isn't that big, you'd probably only notice if perfectly round things like car tires and bulls-eyes were oval instead of perfect circles

No matter what the source is or what resolution or aspect ratio you send to the monitor it will make it conform to the 1680 x 1050 resolution/16:10 aspect ratio. Witness this by changing the ouput resolution in your display settings to all different things. You'll see that it stretches it to fit and what-not.

jbaczek said:
No matter what the source is or what resolution or aspect ratio you send to the monitor it will make it conform to the 1680 x 1050 resolution/16:10 aspect ratio. Witness this by changing the ouput resolution in your display settings to all different things. You'll see that it stretches it to fit and what-not.
But when using the other inputs you can change the aspect ratio to the native 4:3 (I can play my Genesis/watch TV in 4:3 with black bars on the sides).

:confused:

Back