• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New VM ESX home server

Medieval

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 17, 2001
Messages
1,303
Haven't posted to HardForums in years, but I know this is the place to go. I am looking to build a whitebox ESX beast. I have parts picked out, which will allow a good initial start and allow for lots of expansion. Here is what I have in mind:


Motherboard - ASUS DSEB-D16/SAS
CPU - 2.33 Ghz Harperton Quad-core Xeon (E5410)
RAM - 16 Gb (4x4Gb Kingston FBDimm, DDR2 667)
Powersupply - Thermaltake E0131RU 850W (EPS12V)
Hard Drives - two 1 Tb Western Digital SATA (16mb cache)
Case - Chieftec Bravo BA-01B-B-B Full Tower case
Dual 120 mm fans exhaust
Maybe 120 input form the front (using a fan adapter for 5.25 drives)
multiple 90mm fans for cool air in


So what I am thinking is, do I need another quad core CPU? OR should I wait til I have mroe RAM? Should I use the onbaord RAID, or buy a Zero Channel RAID card or a full blown RAID card for my SATA drives. The eventual plan is fully populated RAM of 64 Gb and two Quad core CPUs, as well as 8x 1 Tb SATA drives all configured in mirrored pairs. However, until I get a raise or a bonus, this is going to be a future build. So, if I start off with a pair of mirrored 1 Tb drives, a quad CPU and 16 Gb of RAM, is that a good start for a home build of ESX server? Any suggestions? Am I crazy? (oh wait, yes I am).

As a certain side note, if I get this server qith one or two Quads, I plan to use it to help out Distributed Computing team, which I have not done in the past year or so..... So, maybe going all out with the CPUs is a good idea? Thanks, I look forward to any comments!


Medieval
 
Back
Top