New Vizio TVs

And they are also marketing the Reference and P series for gamers with the 120 fps High Velocity Mode "with incredibly low latency" (see ces.visio.com)... that could be interesting to more than a few people here?

Unless its got a display port on it or dvi input it wont natively input 120hz and my experience overclocking vizio pcbs has not been good at all. The smallest model i found that didn't fritz out QUICK at 120hz over hdmi was the 40" and at that point it's too big for a monitor. FWIW the 32" was gorgeous but i went through 2 of them and they were dropping pixels left and right overclocked. If by 120hz "velocity mode" they mean 60hz input converted to 120hz out it's unlikely that it will look anything like as smooth as lightboost strobing motion clarity. Garbage in-garbage out.

Mm... since they market the high velocity mode as also having very low latency, I would think that precludes any 60-to-120 Hz internal conversions. You never know with marketing though.

In any case there's enough bandwidth to input 1080p@120Hz even with HDMI 1.4a, which is supported by GPUs for some time (for example my GTX 670 can do it over its HDMI output). Now, 2160p@120Hz is probably a pipe dream since I don't think that is possible even with HDMI 2.0. Well, I guess even Vega's monster rigs would struggle to push that many pixels in relatively modern games so the market for that kind of gaming would be vanishingly small...

Now, if they had also said the magical words "low persistence" in connection with this, then this could be really great. Perhaps next year? :D

Unless its got a display port on it or dvi input it wont natively input 120hz and my experience overclocking vizio pcbs has not been good at all. The smallest model i found that didn't fritz out QUICK at 120hz over hdmi was the 40" and at that point it's too big for a monitor. FWIW the 32" was gorgeous but i went through 2 of them and they were dropping pixels left and right overclocked. If by 120hz "velocity mode" they mean 60hz input converted to 120hz out it's unlikely that it will look anything like as smooth as lightboost strobing motion clarity. Garbage in-garbage out.

Being HDMI only has nothing to do with it being able to natively input 120hz or not... My seiki's can do 120hz natively and they are only HDMI. These TV's will be HDMI 2.0 which will be enough bandwidth for 120Hz at 2560x1440 and 240Hz @ 1920x1080.

Back