New Verizon GS3 Update?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Anyone know what's up with this?

My phone just downloaded it this morning. Haven't installed it yet.

8026842119_49d7962776.jpg

I went to the verizon site listed, and found this:

SOFTWARE UPDATE
SAMSUNG GALAXY S III
Verizon Wireless and Samsung encourage you to download this update.
Device Enhancements
+ Improved stability and connectivity with Back Up Assistant.
+ Added support for viewing the Guided Tour video’s over the Cellular Network.
+ Enhanced Customer Support with Verizon Remote Diagnostics.
Verizon Wireless customer care, this solution, with the customer’s permission, allows support personnel to remotely view the user’s device for device training, application demonstrations and troubleshooting.
+ Improved Data Connectivity when using SBeam.

+ “No SIM” pop up issue has been resolved

Does't really look like anything I need...

...but I wonder if there are any negatives, like the removal of the local search in the last update.

Damn, I was hoping this was Jellybean, I just got it too.

Damn, I was hoping this was Jellybean, I just got it too.

Yeah, my plan is to eventually root the phone and install it anyway, but I had it in the back of my mind that this could have been Jelly Bean...

Zarathustra[H];1039176991 said:
Yeah, my plan is to eventually root the phone and install it anyway, but I had it in the back of my mind that this could have been Jelly Bean...

We're supposed to get it in the next month or two anyway. In all honesty I just don't see a lot of need to root this thing at the moment, the preinstalled apps don't get in the way and unless you want to run some custom rom it's not going to do a ton for you. I love how close to stock this thing is out of the box.

is this a new OTA? there was one a couple of weeks ago that didnt fix the NO SIM issue... did they release a new one today?

is this a new OTA? there was one a couple of weeks ago that didnt fix the NO SIM issue... did they release a new one today?

I didn't get one a couple of weeks ago.

This is the first one I've gotten since getting the phone 2-3 months ago.

But, yes, the release notes claim it fixes a "no SIM" issue, but I can't confirm as I have evergreen any "no SIM" issue.

I believe this update has been out for quite a while now. I believe I updated it about 2-3 weeks ago.

I believe this update has been out for quite a while now. I believe I updated it about 2-3 weeks ago.

True. However, OTA's aren't pushed out to EVERY user all at once. They send out in stages so they don't choke the cellular network. You can always check for updates and pull it manually otherwise you just get it when the group your in gets the notification. Generally it takes 2-3 weeks to hit all of the US.

Well I finally got Jelly Bean pushed to my phone by Verizon.

I like it. The differences are subtle, but I have one issue.

Looks like since the update the GPS is constantly searching.

I wonder if this will impact battery life...

Zarathustra[H];1039487792 said:
Well I finally got Jelly Bean pushed to my phone by Verizon.

I like it. The differences are subtle, but I have one issue.

Looks like since the update the GPS is constantly searching.

I wonder if this will impact battery life...

International GS3 (UK only so far) is getting the Premium Suite update right now, which is Android 4.1.2 (yours is 4.1.1). So, you can expect another nice update in a few months. Verizon was about 4 months behind the international version on the 4.1.1 update, so March/April is a good guesstimate on when you should get your Premium Suite update.

International GS3 (UK only so far) is getting the Premium Suite update right now, which is Android 4.1.2 (yours is 4.1.1). So, you can expect another nice update in a few months. Verizon was about 4 months behind the international version on the 4.1.1 update, so March/April is a good guesstimate on when you should get your Premium Suite update.

Interesting.

Any major notable differences between the two?

Back