New Velociraptor 600gb $100 -Newegg

Its a pretty good deal. Id buy one if I needed one. I paid $100 for my 150GB raptor....

Not really a new deal though. This has been posted on other sites for about a week now.

Its a pretty good deal. Id buy one if I needed one. I paid $100 for my 150GB raptor....

Not really a new deal though. This has been posted on other sites for about a week now.

Didn't see it here, so decided to post it, oops :). I must. not. buy argh.

Thats pretty good! I bought my 600gb off CL without a warranty still in plastic for that price in OCT 2010.

The drive is solid, it was my gaming drive and I sold it 3 months ago for $125.
Good deal for a 10,000rpm sata III imo!

I run my OS on one ssd, my games off another ssd, and all of my large files that get swapped and so forth on a Sammy F3. This might replace the F3. Why not get the fastest spinner if you can!

This is not the newest generation of VelociRaptor btw. They are 250gb 500 and 1tb. They also have 64 megs of cache as opposed to 32. This is the 2010 model.

I did not realize they made a new generation of raptors, seems like a waste given how hard these are to sell with SSDs taking all the top end now.

5 year warranty is pretty nice

Be careful. The warranty for most Hard Drive's is the build date. Not purchase date.
I recall long ago on the [H] in the harddrive section that people were getting 3 months, to 3 year warranties....

(unless this has changed as of late).

Be careful. The warranty for most Hard Drive's is the build date. Not purchase date.
I recall long ago on the [H] in the harddrive section that people were getting 3 months, to 3 year warranties....

This is not correct. As per WD Website:
http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp?custtype=end&lang=en#americas
The term of your limited warranty period shall commence on the purchase date appearing on your purchase receipt from an authorized distributor or authorized reseller and extends only for the period of time set forth in the Product documentation.

Proof of purchase shall be required to be eligible for this warranty and to establish the commencement date of this warranty. To verify the warranty of your Product and update your purchase date (if required), please use our online Warranty Status Check service. In the United States, some states do not allow limitations on how long implied warranties last, so the above limitation may not apply to you.

This is only partly true. Its both actually. The way it works with most hard drive manufactures, or at the very least, Western Digital, is the warranty goes by the manufacture date as default. If you email or call them with your receipt and proof of purchase, they update the warranty period for that serial number to your purchase date. This is how it has always worked for 15+ years. Most experienced people know this. I have done this at least 10 times from WD so.....

The ones I got were made Sep 5 2012 so I would lose two months at most.

I don't see why anyone would pay money for a Raptor these days. If someone gave me one as a gift, I'd sell it. If I could find a buyer, that is. With SSD performance so much better, and prices dropping all the time, why bother? 17 cents/GB vs 50 cents/GB but 10k RPM in the old platter method means reliability is comparatively a joke. Just sayin...

I don't see why anyone would pay money for a Raptor these days. If someone gave me one as a gift, I'd sell it. If I could find a buyer, that is. With SSD performance so much better, and prices dropping all the time, why bother? 17 cents/GB vs 50 cents/GB but 10k RPM in the old platter method means reliability is comparatively a joke. Just sayin...

It provides more storage than a single SSD, and while slower, still allows for better seek times than even high-density 7200RPM HDDs.
I would much rather have two of these in RAID0 for running my VMs on with over 1TB of space, than one or two SSDs with barely a quarter of that.

Again, the main reason for these is better than average speed + storage capacity.
It's very niche, and for an OS drive, I too would (and do) run a SSD.

Just because you can't find a reason to use these, doesn't mean others don't.
A SSD is not the end-all-be-all solution.

Also, "the old platter method", what the hell are you even talking about?
These are low-power-server class, enterprise-grade HDDs; while they may not be as reliable as nearline-class, they are still very robust and are far better suited for many-drive, high vibration and noise environments.

If by "old platter method", you mean they are a mechanical HDD, well yeah, that's what a HDD normally is. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Damn steal for a price, if only Newegg would ship to Aus, would pick up 10 of these for my VM server.

Then buy these. I'm not stopping you. I'm only saying I can't reason paying money for them. If I was doing VMs with RAID0 I'd still rather have SSDs, even small ones. Look up the reliability of these. It's not a pretty sight. To me and to many others SSDs are the future. Platter drives are already legacy as far as I'm concerned. Don't get butthurt because people don't fancy using your personal pet outdated tech. It isn't a contest. :rolleyes:

Then buy these. I'm not stopping you. I'm only saying I can't reason paying money for them. If I was doing VMs with RAID0 I'd still rather have SSDs, even small ones. Look up the reliability of these. It's not a pretty sight. To me and to many others SSDs are the future. Platter drives are already legacy as far as I'm concerned. Don't get butthurt because people don't fancy using your personal pet outdated tech. It isn't a contest. :rolleyes:

I already did, thanks for the tip. :rolleyes:
Also, over 1TB in SSDs would cost far more than $200, so if you want to run a VM farm on 120-240GB, be my guest, but it won't be much of a farm.

I get what you are saying, and I do agree for the most part, but SSDs are not ready to completely replace HDDs yet, the cost/storage ratio just isn't there yet.
Mass storage arrays in home or enterprise environments do not yet consist of SSDs, and for VM farms, storage capacity is more important than speed, unless of course high costs are not a factor.

If HDDs are already legacy in your eyes, then you are pretty blind to how things currently operate.
If you said this 10-20 years from now, we would most likely be in full agreement, but until then, I'll have to disagree with you.

I'm sure it runs quite HOT and noisy
Actually these drives are relatively quiet, especially for 10K RPM HDDs.

These are still great drives and that's a screaming price....AHHHHHH...MUST RESIST!!!!!!

I already did, thanks for the tip. :rolleyes:
Also, over 1TB in SSDs would cost far more than $200, so if you want to run a VM farm on 120-240GB, be my guest, but it won't be much of a farm.

I get what you are saying, and I do agree for the most part, but SSDs are not ready to completely replace HDDs yet, the cost/storage ratio just isn't there yet.
Mass storage arrays in home or enterprise environments do not yet consist of SSDs, and for VM farms, storage capacity is more important than speed, unless of course high costs are not a factor.

If HDDs are already legacy in your eyes, then you are pretty blind to how things currently operate.
If you said this 10-20 years from now, we would most likely be in full agreement, but until then, I'll have to disagree with you.

You have a point of course in regards to volume storage, but we aren't talking about large storage arrays, we're talking about fast access times and raw performance. My point was simply that I don't feel a Raptor has a place in computing with SSDs so much faster and prices so low. Obviously people disagree with me, and that's perfectly fine. My opinion is only right from one point of view. Enjoy your Raptors! :)

PS: A smartass PM'd me asking to buy the WD Blacks in my sig, not realizing I've already been trying to sell them. Lets see if he puts his money where his mouth is. ;)

I am the smartass and I think the not so hidden message in the PM went right over your head.

I feel like these "are velocirapotor drives worth it" debates have been going on for a decade. Can't we agree that they're fast-as-shit-for-platter-drives-but-a-bit-unreliable-and-used-for-different-purposes-than-SSD's?

I am the smartass and I think the not so hidden message in the PM went right over your head.

You mean how you sarcastically asked to buy my platter hard drives and I seriously offered to sell them to you? I think that entire dialog is very clear to everyone. :)

These are still good drives for some applications. But If SSD's keep getting bigger and cheaper like they have been then the Raptors will, sadly, be extinct soon.

Wow, good thing you have money coming out of your ass but most of us to do not. :rolleyes: I would get these but I already am using a OCZ SSD Caching drive and a 1TB harddrive for my main system drive. (Seagate harddrive.)

I would require a 1TB SSD just to fit everything. (There is no way I would play the SSD/ Harddrive data and program shuffle.) These drives are definitely great at this price but I do not need them. (Want them though.)

It provides more storage than a single SSD, and while slower, still allows for better seek times than even high-density 7200RPM HDDs.
I would much rather have two of these in RAID0 for running my VMs on with over 1TB of space, than one or two SSDs with barely a quarter of that.

Again, the main reason for these is better than average speed + storage capacity.
It's very niche, and for an OS drive, I too would (and do) run a SSD.

Also, "the old platter method", what the hell are you even talking about?
These are low-power-server class, enterprise-grade HDDs; while they may not be as reliable as nearline-class, they are still very robust and are far better suited for many-drive, high vibration and noise environments.

If by "old platter method", you mean they are a mechanical HDD, well yeah, that's what a HDD normally is. :rolleyes:

+++++11111

For a server based system these would be the preferable solutions. Until SSD's become completely reliable I don't see any large business taking a chance on solid state drives.

You have a point of course in regards to volume storage, but we aren't talking about large storage arrays, we're talking about fast access times and raw performance. My point was simply that I don't feel a Raptor has a place in computing with SSDs so much faster and prices so low. Obviously people disagree with me, and that's perfectly fine. My opinion is only right from one point of view. Enjoy your Raptors! :)
I do agree, that SSDs obviously destroy HDDs in single and multi-drive arrays, but the only problem I personally see is for large storage, the cost simply isn't there.
But yes, if I were in your shoes, one or two SSDs would probably be a better choice.

I just need more storage than what $200 in SSDs will get me.
Also, getting 1-2TB desktop-class drives would also make more sense for raw storage and would net more storage space.

Really, these drives are totally niche, with the few of us remaining who want higher than normal performance, yet still having a larger storage capacity.
Considering they don't have the storage desktop-class HDDs have, and yet aren't as fast as SSDs, it makes these things uses very limited.

But that niche tends to fall into the enthusiast VM storage farm, which is where I happen to fall.
But thanks, hopefully they will last. :)

PS: A smartass PM'd me asking to buy the WD Blacks in my sig, not realizing I've already been trying to sell them. Lets see if he puts his money where his mouth is. ;)
LOL, send him a link to the thread and tell him to STFU or GTFO! :p

My original 74GB raptor is still running after 5 years. I trust raptors more than the average 7200RPM drive.

My 37GB raptors from 2004 are running fine as well. I now use them to host Linux partitions on my workstations.

Last edited:
Wife has had one of these in her rig (she hates multi drive setups, so no OS/Steam drive setup for her) for about 2 years now. A little more noisey than the 150's in my rig, but still works fine for her. For the most part when loading online games she's within the first 3 or 4 people on the server every time. Good little drive that's got mutliple thousands of hours on it already. If I had the funds I would be more than happy to swap these in for my current VR's.

I was really hoping to see this OOS...sadly, it wasn't and I had to order one....

I have about 12 73G raptors with 50k'ish operation hours & no bad sectors. YMMV of course. They are rocks.

On the other hand I've killed a kingston & m-tron SSD with MUCH less use. the mtron was even SLC!

My original 74GB raptor is still running after 5 years. I trust raptors more than the average 7200RPM drive.

My 37GB raptors from 2004 are running fine as well. I now use them to host Linux partitions on my workstations.

The original and second gen Raptors were rock-solid and were some of the most reliable low-power-server-class HDDs I've ever used.
Ended up trading my two first-gen 36GB drives a year ago, but they ran strong until the day I gave them up.

Good times and good memories.

Aren't these rendered obsolete by those "hybrid" SSD/platter drives I read about a while back?

Serious question as I don't have any hands on with hybrid drives.

*Reason I ask is that my sister wants a harddrive upgrade for her ultra small-form-factor Dell Zino HD (Mac Mini competitor) which only has the room and connections for a single desktop harddrive.

All I ever read about the hybrids was appalling reliability... plus they're made by Seagate. Likely the former being brought about by the latter.

Back