New TV soon...I can get these locally for good prices...

nst6563

2[H]4U
RCA HD61LPW175

OR

Sony KDF-E55A20

Sony KDF-55XS955

It appears that the RCA model is so new that it's not even up on RCA's product pages yet...just a "coming soon" blip.

The RCA is a 720p set (from the link I posted), while the Sony is also a 720p set...it actually has a res of 1366x768 and converts everything to that res. I looked at both in similar lighting to what I have in my home, and both looked absolutely stunning. Both are *very* close in picture quality, including the black levels since the RCA is a DLP set, and the Sony is a 3-LCD (supposedly they're the same resolution...Sony advertises their 3-LCD sets as having 3.28million pixels...or roughly a little over 1million per LCD panel).
All 3 sets accept 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i inputs and have built in ATSC/NTSC tuners. The one sony set (55XS955) has a built in subwoofer so it sounds a bit better than the others...but other than the speakers, it's the same set as the Sony 55A20.

Any input on choices? I currently have a Sony HDTV (53HS10 53" Hi-Scan model...old 4:3 set...about 6 years old...and showing it's age very badly with convergence problems and losing focus a lot). I like it...picture quality was always awsome on it (until recently). How's the RCA sets? This Scenium is a newer series it looks like...is it their higher end?

morning bump...
not needing anyone to tell me what to buy...just opinions ;)

I like the sony TV's. But then again I like sony. RCA's do not reproduce good colors/contrast compared to Samsung or Phillips. Well atleast from what I have seen...

i dont' know anything about the RCA. i currently have a Sony and I like it lots, and i think i would get another sony in the future. Personally I don't use my TV speakers too often, so the fact that the one TV has a buildt in sub is basically meaningless. I'd suggest you do a search on the AVS forums, they're super duper smart there.

I did do a search on the AVS forums for a while last night on the RCA. I went back and compared the picture and it is a little "duller" than what the Sony's produce. Native res is 1280x720, slightly less than the sony, but prolly nothing anyone would really notice (sony's native is 1366x768p).

Unless we're watching movies, then we're usually using the TV's built in speakers. Although, it really isn't that big a deal...but since it's the same price as the TV without the speaker upgrade...I may as well go with it. They're both listed as $2500...and the XS955 series is listed on the 'net around $1000 more....so it's not too bad a price ;)

I have a problem with Sony, so I personally will not buy another sony product. The sony sets do look pretty good though. I myself have an RCA (not that model) and am happy with it. I have had it for around 2 years now. 52" DLP HDTV. don't remember the model.

what's your problem with sony? Other than they charge too much for their name :p

nst6563 said:
what's your problem with sony? Other than they charge too much for their name :p
Quietly dons flame suit

:D

That's really the wrong question to ask around here ( lol J/K) but anyway.

Hey OP have you checked out the new 56"Samsung 1920x1080P DLP yet?: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=991791

It's right in your pricerange and the resolution is much higher than 720P

SJetski71 said:
Quietly dons flame suit

:D

That's really the wrong question to ask around here ( lol J/K) but anyway.

Hey OP have you checked out the new 56"Samsung 1920x1080P DLP yet?: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=991791

It's right in your pricerange and the resolution is much higher than 720P

lol...hehe...I personally have no problems with Sony...hell, most of my stuff is Sony. But I do think they charge too much for their name. :p

anyway...yeah...I *really* want to see that TV in person too. The stores in my area don't carry it, and I may be going to St. Louis tomorrow (2 hours from me) to look at TV's up there. I've seen the "old" version of that TV a long time ago and it kicked ass...I'd expect this new one to be even better since it does the 1080p and is a couple years more advanced.

I'm a little weary of having something like that shipped, even though it comes freight and is usually handled better. Any reputable online retailers that offer free shipping???? I see crutchfield offers free shipping on just about all their big TV's...but they usually don't have the best prices (from what I've seen...they're the same price as in the local store just no taxes).

My Sony problems...

1) origin of name. Sony is a variation of the phrase "Sonny boy". The company wanted a phrase that americans could relate too. Personally I think Sonny Boy is degrading and in the south where I live has racist undertones.

2) Rootkit. do a google on sony rootkit. I get to pissed tlaking about it.

3) ability to kill good tech. Minidiscs and Superbit come to mind right away. the refusale to allow other companies to utilize it have all but relegated it to obscurity.

4) overpriced. Back in the Day Sony was groundbreaking. Now they are the McDonalds of electronics. Just good enough and just cheap enough to do the trick, but not excellent in any way.

The only power we as consumers have to stop this kind of junk is to withhold our money. So I won't buy Sony. Not even a playstation.

I knew about the rootkit thing...just didn't associate it with the TV stuff...and yeah...i don't agree with it either, I don't own any Sony CD's because of it.

As far as not being groundbreaking...what about the new SXRD XBR series of TV's??? Those have a DAMN nice picture on them...better than anything I've ever seen so far.

And for cheap...every company is cheap these days. It's all about profit. Take a look at phone companies for example. Ever notice how a lot of older neighborhoods can get more DSL lines in a given range than the newer ones? It's because the grade of copper wire they chose to run in the newer neighborhoods. It's a smaller gauge and more prone to noise and signal loss. But then again...I hate the phone companies anyway (much like you hate Sony).

but either way...If the sony has the best picture and features in my pricerange...it's going to be a Sony I get. I was really hoping that RCA was going to be something special...after all...it does look very clean and aesthetic and was a larger set (with supposedly 2x the contrast ratio) for $100 less. But the picture may be too dim for my liking. I even increased the brightness and contrast ratio all the way up to see if it made a difference...and it did...but only slightly...not what it should have. But I want to look at one at another store to be sure first...because I think that one may have just been a dud or something....

IDversusEGO said:
1) origin of name. Sony is a variation of the phrase "Sonny boy". The company wanted a phrase that americans could relate too. Personally I think Sonny Boy is degrading and in the south where I live has racist undertones.

Who told you that?

its not Sonny as we think of it. Cultural differences... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony

When Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo was looking for a romanized name to use to market themselves, they strongly considered using their initials, TTK. The primary reason they did not, is that the railway company Tokyo Kyuko was known as TKK.

The name "Sony" was chosen for the brand as a mix of the Latin word sonus, which is the root of sonic and sound, the English word "sunny", and from the word Sonny-boys which is Japanese slang for "whiz kids". However "Sonny" seemed not to be appropriate since it sounds too much like the Japanese soh-nee which means "business goes bad", Akio Morita pushed for a word that does not exist in any language so that they could claim the word "Sony" as their own (which paid off when they sued a candy producer who also used the name who claimed that "Sony" was just an existing word in some language).

At the time of the change, it was extremely unusual for a Japanese company to use Roman letters instead of Chinese characters to spell its name. The move was not without opposition: TTK's principal bank at the time, Mitsui, had strong feelings about the name. They pushed for a name such as Sony Electronic Industries, or Sony Teletech. Akio Morita was firm, however, as he did not want the company name tied to any particular industry. Eventually, both Ibuka and Mitsui Bank's chairman gave their approval.

The Scenium line has been out for at least six years, and yes, it is RCAs high end.

RCA had made quantum leaps as far as QC control goes, and if you like the picture, you shouldn't be afraid to pick one up.

However, considering you already own a CRT based RPTV, I'd recomment looking into some new ones. Hitachi, Mitsubishi, and Pioneer make the best (and have made the best) CRT RPTV sets by far for a number of years. I have a 4 year old Hitachi 57SWX20b right now (57" CRT HD RPTV, top of the line other than the XWX, which only added a darker screen protecter and an integrated tuner) and it still blows the pants off of any DLP, LCD, or LCoS set as far as picture quality goes.

Until SXRD tech matures or we see SED displays, CRT is still the way to go as far as ultimate picture quality goes. Plus, you can get the sets for cheap. Yes, they are heavy as a motherfucker (a big ass harley riding motherfucker into BBWs) but look at it this way: paying $100 every couple years when you switch apartments or get a new house vs. paying $1000+ premium for a flat panel light set...

IDversusEGO said:
My Sony problems...

2) Rootkit. do a google on sony rootkit. I get to pissed tlaking about it.

3) ability to kill good tech. Minidiscs and Superbit come to mind right away. the refusale to allow other companies to utilize it have all but relegated it to obscurity.

4) overpriced. Back in the Day Sony was groundbreaking. Now they are the McDonalds of electronics. Just good enough and just cheap enough to do the trick, but not excellent in any way.

The only power we as consumers have to stop this kind of junk is to withhold our money. So I won't buy Sony. Not even a playstation.

I have to respectfully disagree here. Sony is a big company, and electronics are different from media. I say that if you can tolerate a smaller screen, look at the e50a10. 5 inches smaller than the e55a20, but it gets the iris system to improve contrast ratios. It is an excellent tv, we're getting one delivered this week.

I haven't seen the A10 sony in person yet...hopefully will soon though.

As far as a CRT based HDTV, I know they're awsome...and I really like the one I have...but space is more of a concern at the moment as are kids hands. I can put the DLP/LCD tv's out of reach of little fingers and only have a small gaurd over the lower part below the screen...but a full blown CRT set is a NIGHTMARE with kids (at least mine...which has some weird sensory integration disorder) since they won't leave it alone.

btw...is my current tv really considered CRT based since it has the three lenses (RBG) which project the picture on the screen? I'm not familiar with the inerts of the CRT models.

nst6563 said:
I haven't seen the A10 sony in person yet...hopefully will soon though.

As far as a CRT based HDTV, I know they're awsome...and I really like the one I have...but space is more of a concern at the moment as are kids hands. I can put the DLP/LCD tv's out of reach of little fingers and only have a small gaurd over the lower part below the screen...but a full blown CRT set is a NIGHTMARE with kids (at least mine...which has some weird sensory integration disorder) since they won't leave it alone.

btw...is my current tv really considered CRT based since it has the three lenses (RBG) which project the picture on the screen? I'm not familiar with the inerts of the CRT models.

Yes, there are three kinds of CRTS - Direct view (think your average tube TV), rear projection (what you have, with three CRT guns, one red, one blue, one green), and front projection (think a laptop LCD projector but roughly 10x the size, and with three lenses, one red, one green, one blue, like a rear projection set without the shell).

ahh...now it's all coming clear :p

Do they even make front projection crt sets anymore???? I haven't seen one in eons.

btw...anyone have any opinions on this JVC 52 in. LCOS Rear Projection TV/HDTV

It's a little smaller, lighter and cheaper...but it's a 3-chip LCOS set. I'm going to go look at this one today...don't think I've seen an LCOS set next to a 3-LCD set.

Ryokurin said:
its not Sonny as we think of it. Cultural differences... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony

I'm not familiar with the slang that the Wikipedia article cites. A Wired article and Snopes describe different reasoning behind the name than the Wikipedia article does.

Either way, it seems absurd to me that someone would arrive at the conclusion that Sony is a company that intentionally disparages African Americans.

Boycotting Sony completely would be quite a challenge as they've got their touch on lots of stuff. Columbia Records, Lowes Theaters, The Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy, lots of HDTV broadcast equipment -- like for NFL games, and so on.

well, first, I got the origin of the name from the sony site.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/CorporateInfo/History/index.html

The origin of "Sony"
The company name "Sony" was created by combining two words. One is 'sonus' in Latin, which is the root of the such words as 'sound' and 'sonic'. The other is 'sonny' meaning little son. The words were used to show that " Sony" is a very small group of young people who have the energy and passion toward unlimited creation.

and second, I didn't say they intentionally did anything. I do believe that it was purely unintentional, but shows a bit of ignorance for a global company.

as for rootkit being a different part, that doesn't bother me. it's all sony to me. Now we all have our own methods of choosing how we spend our money. I personally never forced my opinion on anybod, or belittled anybody for choosing their products. As a matter of fact, I didn't post my detailed opinions until asked. If you read the original post, I actually said the Sony has a nice picture. In most of the products I myself have had the fortune of considering, Sony hasn't had an offering that had to make me test my decision to not buy Sony. Maybe one day I will have a harder choice to make. So maybe I should have said "so I personally will not buy another sony product until they have proven to have changed their ways".

IDversusEGO said:
and second, I didn't say they intentionally did anything. I do believe that it was purely unintentional, but shows a bit of ignorance for a global company.

How so? You really think "Sony" is a name that evokes racial discord?

nst6563 said:
As far as not being groundbreaking...what about the new SXRD XBR series of TV's??? Those have a DAMN nice picture on them...better than anything I've ever seen so far.

Just so you know SXRD is just sony trying to be sly about naming thier LCOS technology so they seem to be different than anyone else. Yes SXRD technically has a few unique features but it is sitll based on LCOS.

nst6563 said:

Just so you know SXRD is just sony trying to be sly about naming thier LCOS technology so they seem to be different than anyone else. Yes SXRD technically has a few unique features but it is sitll based on LCOS.

And there is only one place still selling "new" CRT projectors but they bought the technology and plant from another company and are producing CRT's mainly for Flight Sims and other commericial applications.

If you look in the HT thread I have my FP CRT posted in the show off thread.

mikeblas said:
How so? You really think "Sony" is a name that evokes racial discord?
lol, no. I said that the partial origin of the word "sonny boy" had undertones in my area (the south). undertones meaning "An underlying or implied tendency or meaning". If a whitre male walked up to an african american man in my area and call him sonny boy, there would be issues. but like i said, I don't think Sony did anything on purpose but there is a certain ignorance to it.

I knew SXRD was based on LCOS, but as far as I've seen...most other LCOS sets are just that...an LCOS set. No added features or benefits to differentiate them from the rest.

I'm not saying they invented it or anything...but the picture I've seen on an SXRD is better than any other set I've seen so far, including other LCOS sets.

Anyone looked at that RCA in person??? Did the picture look faded/washed to you??? I can't find another store around that has it on display yet. If I had to choose between that RCA Scenium and the Sony 55XS955...I think I'd chose the Scenium just b/c the size for price as long as the PQ was excellent.

I've read of people having problems getting 1:1 pixel mapping on the Sony sets due to the 1366x768 resolution.

Bighitter said:
And there is only one place still selling "new" CRT projectors but they bought the technology and plant from another company and are producing CRT's mainly for Flight Sims and other commericial applications.
/QUOTE]

There aren't that many places selling new CRT FP systems anymore, but there is a pretty big used market. Plus, there are companies making new tubes/guns still, which are the only part that wear out.

CRT FP is an awesome solution, but you need very good light control to make it worth it. I would never buy a system like that for a room with a window, but when I buy a house and build my basement HT there will likely be one (or two with an integration system) running the show.

NulloModo said:
Bighitter said:
CRT FP is an awesome solution, but you need very good light control to make it worth it. I would never buy a system like that for a room with a window, but when I buy a house and build my basement HT there will likely be one (or two with an integration system) running the show.
I'm gonna have to agree and disagree since windows can be blacked out easily but to each their own, and the basement is always a killer HT habitat imho.

A few of us here have been tempted by the crt front projection siren. They have most of the benefits of crt monitors imho; killer contrast, no specific native resolution, vga inputs, HD capable, relatively inexpensive etc etc. The only issue for some is that 99% of the units out there are used/reconditioned, and are physically larger in size than modern dlp/lcd projectors. Personally I held out till 720P lcd projectors came down in price, and recently scored a new Z2 FP for $775 + s/h (an upgrade for me, and yes i'm siked). But that's neither here nor there ;)

OP in case you're curious on what your missing here's a few related crt FPJ links

Crt FPJ forums: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16
Curt Palme's tutorials and sales: http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTforSale.htm <-- supposedly the most reputable CRT FPJ dealer
Ebay: http://electronics.listings.ebay.co...QfromZR11QQsacatZ75402QQsocmdZListingItemList

Without going into a diatribe about brands/prices..

I'd say.. I'd much rather have a 61" DLP than a 55" LCD

I've got a 62" toshiba DLP, however.. and an lcd.. and a crt.. and another crt..so...[all are hdtv]

Malogato said:
Without going into a diatribe about brands/prices..

I'd say.. I'd much rather have a 61" DLP than a 55" LCD

You may change your mind if you saw the same PQ comparison I did of the Sony 3-LCD vs the RCA 61" DLP.

I'm hoping that the store just had a fubarred set or they messed up the picture settings or something...because I too would rather have the 61" over the 55" (especially since the 61" is $100 less than the 55" Sony). But the picture on the RCA was just dull and washed...not bright by any means, and was almost a strain to see in the lighting of the store. Whereas the sony LCD set was in the same lighting and was almost as bright as the CRT sets they had.

and if I had the space ...the CRT FP would be the way I'd go. I agree there really is no comparison there.

hmm, well all the sony stuff i ever bought has been poorly made. cd players, receivers, minidisc players, headphones. it all has been junk. my MD player circa 1996 was nice though, but ever since then i've only seen poorly made products from them. I only have bought consumer grade sony products, but other companies manage to assemble decent products at a low price point.
BUT that wouldn't have stopped me from getting something from them if it was worth it. OH, like my first gen sony dvd burner that is still kicking. but my first gen sony MD player was amazing too. so maybe its just a first gen thing.
The way they acted like their root kit was no big deal and everyone else did it really really irked me. espically considering comapnies that have to keep high security in their networks. Ugh, couldn't imagine trying to find all people that actually listened to one of those cds in a large network if it actually posed a security risk. never getting sony again.

i'd say get what you like best though.

well...If I get a Sony...it'll be the 55" A20 series. However,I just stopped by a local store here that had a Mitsubishi 52627 and 52628...and I almost instantly fell in love. GREAT picture, very nice looking cabinet. But about $800 out of my price range once you add in the cabinet (so I'd prolly be using two of my full tower cases and a 1" thick sheet of plywood for a stand until I could afford a good one :p -J/K!)....but the guy said that the price will most certainly drop after the first of the year when CES hits and all the new crap is announced. He said it happens every year b/c the mfr's want to clear out as many TV's as they can before the new ones hit. Guess I'll see though ;) My absolute limit is $3000 after taxes. Dunno if I'm gonna get a warranty yet or not though...I had one on my existing Sony and made use of it...saved me the cost of the warranty ($399) when they replaced the board...but that's the only problem I ever had with it.

Anyone have any experience with a Toshiba 56HM195?? It's a 1080p DLP set also, 10k rpm color wheel, etc. 56" set. Specs look nice. But I can't really find a good definitive review of it. Not to mention no local shops have it. Was planning on going to St. Louis to look...but my son got real sick so that got cancelled ;(
It's well within my price range, lowest online was $2200, average was $2500. I have a friend that swears by Toshiba though.

NulloModo said:
There aren't that many places selling new CRT FP systems anymore, but there is a pretty big used market. Plus, there are companies making new tubes/guns still, which are the only part that wear out.

As I said I have a Ampro 4600 which is a 9" CRT based FP. Sony has officially stated they are leaving the CRT market which only leaves VDC as the sole manufacturer of new CRT sets. They are using the Marquee design for thier newly produced units and they are still manufacturing and refurbing tubes for a few brands.

Now thier is still Vidikron doing a few of thier vision series but they are based off the Marquee units as well.

You can see pictures of my theater
here which is a CRT based theater, I have 3 windows behind the screen as it is against code to have a room with no egress exit incase of fire. I simply covered them over with blackout cloth and mounted the screen infront of it. Its really sad that my theater looks as bad as it does considering its my job, but I look at the stuff all the time now and don't want to bother with it when I get home.

Bighitter said:
As I said I have a Ampro 4600 which is a 9" CRT based FP. Sony has officially stated they are leaving the CRT market which only leaves VDC as the sole manufacturer of new CRT sets. They are using the Marquee design for thier newly produced units and they are still manufacturing and refurbing tubes for a few brands.

Now thier is still Vidikron doing a few of thier vision series but they are based off the Marquee units as well.

You can see pictures of my theater
here which is a CRT based theater, I have 3 windows behind the screen as it is against code to have a room with no egress exit incase of fire. I simply covered them over with blackout cloth and mounted the screen infront of it. Its really sad that my theater looks as bad as it does considering its my job, but I look at the stuff all the time now and don't want to bother with it when I get home.

Nice setup... I love those SVS subs, friend has one in his basement theatre, but as I'm an apartment dweller I think one would only get me in trouble with my downstairs neighbor... (she is kind enough not to complain about my Infinity Prelude sub, thankfully, though I think I might have pushed the limits watching Fantastic Four the other night...)

I'd love to get back into doing installs... I did it on the side back when I worked at CC when the company was still halfway decent, but nothing ever as sophisticated as what you have (a lot of build the stand, run some speaker cable through the walls/along the floorboard/under the carpet, hook everything up without a rats nest, program the universal remote/receiver kinda junk).

EDIT: BTW, since you obviously know this stuff, how is the DVD playback quality through that HTPC? I am still lamenting the loss of my Yamaha DVD-C920 (damn spindle motor), that was the best looking DVD output I have ever seen. I replaced it with a Panny DVD-S97s (tried the newer version of your Pioneer first, as I thought SACD would be nice to have, but the subpar video quality irked me to no end and I replaced it within a week) and did the firmware updates, good DVD-A quality, usually excellent video quality, but the macroblock bug on the new version of the DCDi chip it has comes in to play too much.

Thanks, I love my svs as well, now I just need 2 more for the other surround sound systems in the house.

Its a great industry to be in truthfully, I just started my own company doing it and I have been working basically 18 hour days to keep up with demand. And noone can keep a quality tech so companies are paying good wages and benies to keep them.

Bighitter said:
Thanks, I love my svs as well, now I just need 2 more for the other surround sound systems in the house.

Its a great industry to be in truthfully, I just started my own company doing it and I have been working basically 18 hour days to keep up with demand. And noone can keep a quality tech so companies are paying good wages and benies to keep them.

Also, I'm sure living where you do, you have no shortage of people with money dripping out of every orifice eager to have something installed...

To the OP: Just figured I might mention, if you know someone who teaches, or who is in college, you can get the HP true 1080p DLP set (the second from biggest size, I think it is like 58") for just over $3000 through their educational purchase plan. I haven't seen one in person yet, but it has been getting great reviews.

well since we have some sony issues here, i'll state mine.

Sony makes a variety of electronics. The only problem is that they charge a butt load for their name. In all honesty, the only thing Sony is good at making is tv's. I would never buy anything else made from Sony, except maybe a ps3. I don't like Sony's, ht/audio equipment, car audio stuff, mp3s players etc, cell phones, consumer digital cameras (excluding SLR's), etc. I've personally tested and played extensively with the products I've listed above. I'd have to say, for the price you pay, you can find something better.

So yeah, thats why I dont like Sony. You pay more for less

well...I ran across a Mitsubishi 52628 at a local store....fell in love...showed my wife...and that settled it. I'll be getting it in Jan. I'll post pics when I get it all setup. ;)

Xeero said:
well since we have some sony issues here, i'll state mine.

Sony makes a variety of electronics. The only problem is that they charge a butt load for their name. In all honesty, the only thing Sony is good at making is tv's. I would never buy anything else made from Sony, except maybe a ps3. I don't like Sony's, ht/audio equipment, car audio stuff, mp3s players etc, cell phones, consumer digital cameras (excluding SLR's), etc. I've personally tested and played extensively with the products I've listed above. I'd have to say, for the price you pay, you can find something better.

So yeah, thats why I dont like Sony. You pay more for less

I agree mostly. Sony DVD players are way overpriced for what they offer (good quality, but way too much $$$, Panasonic is the best there, as in a lot of consumer electronics...), Receivers, well, yeah, the ES line is the only one worth looking at, and Denon and HK have Sony beat there. Their minidisc players beat the Sharp ones by a longshot, their DVD-RWs suck at at price/performance, Digital Cameras... I have a Sony digicam, DSC-V1, I love it, I have to buy memory sticks because of it, but it is still worth it, takes awesome pictures for the price (little over $600 when I bought it), and their TVs are nice, well, their CRT TVs, they were always the best at that, Hitachi and Mitsu always killed them in the RP CRT arena.

nst6563 said:
well...I ran across a Mitsubishi 52628 at a local store....fell in love...showed my wife...and that settled it. I'll be getting it in Jan. I'll post pics when I get it all setup. ;)

Much better choice! Congrats and enjoy the TV.

NulloModo said:
Also, I'm sure living where you do, you have no shortage of people with money dripping out of every orifice eager to have something installed...

To the OP: Just figured I might mention, if you know someone who teaches, or who is in college, you can get the HP true 1080p DLP set (the second from biggest size, I think it is like 58") for just over $3000 through their educational purchase plan. I haven't seen one in person yet, but it has been getting great reviews.

I'll admit the HP has some nice specs. I don't like the fact that the inputs are all on the front though. I wouldn't buy one without seeing it first either. But, alas...I don't know anyone in education so the price is WAY too steep being the average for the 58" is about $5k.

There have been reports on AVSForum of people successfully getting a 1080p signal on their Mits and Toshiba sets. So maybe not all is lost on 1080p inputs (other than on firewire), but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

Back