New to HTPC what do i need to mainlhy turn m PC to a DVR?

alphaqforever247

[H]ard|Gawd
im sure there are alot of post about this topic but juss looking for a few quick answers. this is for my gf her PC is in my sig, is her PC good enough to become a htpc? what else would i need? do i still need to get a cable box from the tv company?

Pc is fine, you need a tuner card..... OTA, clearQAM or cable card

For cable card the only product currently on the market is made by ceton and it us 4 HD tuners for $500 ( I think)

For clearqam and ota I recommend the hdhomerun.

Pc is fine, you need a tuner card..... OTA, clearQAM or cable card

For cable card the only product currently on the market is made by ceton and it us 4 HD tuners for $500 ( I think)

For clearqam and ota I recommend the hdhomerun.

u kinda lost me after tuner card lol. Whats OTA clear QAM cable card? we have direct tv right now but plan on goin to time warner cable. maybe u can link to your recommended product? my gf would like to be able to watch tv in HD and record HD. also what would i need from the cable companies end? do i need a box still?

u kinda lost me after tuner card lol. Whats OTA clear QAM cable card? we have direct tv right now but plan on goin to time warner cable. maybe u can link to your recommended product? my gf would like to be able to watch tv in HD and record HD. also what would i need from the cable companies end? do i need a box still?

This guide is a bit old but it's basically what you need to do if you want to record HD content from the cable company:
http://hd.engadget.com/2009/05/12/how-to-install-a-cablecard-tuner-in-your-diy-media-center/

OTA = Over The Air. Your basic channels basically.
ClearQAM: Just read the wiki link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAM_(television)

do all cable compaines be able to use and htpc? what the are the ones that can. i jus called time warner right now and they said they do not use cable cards or have cable cards?

they are mandated by the FCC to use cable cards.

they have to use them

most people use them with TIVO

Back