New to forums and proposed PC build

Tontology

n00b
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I joined because I know a good amount about PC hardware and building, but I want to really expand my knowledge on a forum like this. I am planning on building a new gaming PC in the next few months and these are the specs (I already own HDDs, so I won't be posting my storage).

-i5 3570K
-Corsair 8Gb 240pin DDR3 SDRAM CMV8GX3M2A1333C9
-EVGA GTX 670 (or the 660 TI if the rumors are true)
-ASUS P8Z77-V LX
-Cooler Master 750W ATX12V Power Supply
-Asus DVDE818A7T/BLK/B/GEN CD Reader, DVD Writer
-Thermaltake VN700M1W2N ATX Full Tower Case
-Windows 7 64-bit

Please reply with any comments, reccomendations of other parts, or if any of the parts I chose are incompatible. Thanks.

fyi, this is the wrong subforum for builds. Computers & gadgets forum is for pre-built computers only.

Post this in General Hardware for build feedback.

Please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better.

Though off the bat: The PSU and mobo are not good choices.

I agree with Danny about the mobo and especially the PSU. There is currently only one Cooler Master branded 750W PSU, the GX series, which really cannot handle more than about 600W without going way out of spec. As such, it is pricey for what is really a ho-hum quality 600W PSU.

And that particular Asus motherboard has had more than its fair share of stability issues. In fact, its current street price is relatively high for such a sparsely-featured and low-quality mobo. Plus, it is being phased out of production with no direct successor (both the P8Z77-V LX and the P8Z77-V LE are being replaced by a single P8Z77-V LE+). In any event, the P8Z77-V LE+ is priced too close to the better-quality P8Z77-V LK mobo for its own good.

Find a different PSU, something from Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec should do you good.

I don't keep up with motherboards, and I guess I should start. Another motherboard I saw was the ASUS P8Z77-M PRO. This cost $170 from my local retailer and is around the most I want to spend. I'll just say right now that I'm only 14 years old and only have about 8 months of PC hardware knowledge under my belt, so if I ever post something that seems completely uniformed, you can tell me. And I'm not set on ASUS, I will go with other brands too. A different PSU I found was the Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W. Like I said, I know enough to see what features are important to me, but I don't know much about any issues the hardware has a record of.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1,300 Shipping and Tax included
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

USA, South West Florida
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, RAM, MOBO, VIDEO CARD, PSU, CASE, OS. I have a monitor and harddrives.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
750GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA HDD 7200RPM (9BD648-553) , 500GB WD CAVIAR BLUE HDD 7200RPM (WD5000AAKS-00A7B0), SAMSUNG T24B350 24'(Its a TV, but has HDMI and VGA ports).
6) Will you be overclocking?
Most likely not.
7) 7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920x1080, 24 in.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Hopefully built before the end of the year or early next year.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
SLI support, USB 3.0, SATA 6gb/s?, RAID would be nice but I don't need it.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I have no licenses.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1,300 Shipping and Tax included
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

USA, South West Florida
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, RAM, MOBO, VIDEO CARD, PSU, CASE, OS. I have a monitor and harddrives.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
750GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA HDD 7200RPM (9BD648-553) , 500GB WD CAVIAR BLUE HDD 7200RPM (WD5000AAKS-00A7B0), SAMSUNG T24B350 24'(Its a TV, but has HDMI and VGA ports).
6) Will you be overclocking?
Most likely not.
7) 7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920x1080, 24 in.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Hopefully built before the end of the year or early next year.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
SLI support, USB 3.0, SATA 6gb/s?, RAID would be nice but I don't need it.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I have no licenses.

Well, then, you are planning this build way too early because prices and availability can (and do) change dramatically within those few months. As such, whatever we recommend today may not be what we recommend even next month, let alone in four months. Please revisit this thread two weeks before you actually purchase the parts.

Well, then, you are planning this build way too early because prices and availability can (and do) change dramatically within those few months. As such, whatever we recommend today may not be what we recommend even next month, let alone in four months. Please revisit this thread two weeks before you actually purchase the parts.

+1

A lot of our parts recommendations are based on monthly deals that change monthly. Therefore it's best to wait about ~a week into whatever month it is, then start the build. Just to ensure all the deals for that month are already visible.

Ok, but besides the timeline and price point of deals, are the components that I chose good in terms of preformance, or are there still better parts out there?

The parts look good, but I don't think it's a good idea to use either of your hard drives for the OS install.

A top-tier 128gb ssd can be had on sale for $90.

Ok, but besides the timeline and price point of deals, are the components that I chose good in terms of preformance, or are there still better parts out there?

As we said earlier, the PSU and mobo you chose are not good parts at all. In addition, since you're not overclocking, zero reason for you to get that 3570K when the Core i5 3470 will be enough for your needs. The case is a so-so choice but I think there are better cases out there. So yes there are better parts out there.

As we said earlier, the PSU and mobo you chose are not good parts at all. In addition, since you're not overclocking, zero reason for you to get that 3570K when the Core i5 3470 will be enough for your needs. The case is a so-so choice but I think there are better cases out there. So yes there are better parts out there.
I posted a different mobo and PSU. I asked about the ASUS P8Z77-M PRO and the Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W. What are the opinions of these. I know what the different features are, but with so many motherboards priced so closely with similar features, I don't know which one to pick because I don't know what features will be important to me in the future or I don't know any issues that these components have. Also like I said earlier, I will go with other brands, but I wanted to go with ASUS because I hear the BIOS is better. This will be my first build, so I will need to learn what works for me in the future the best, but for now, give me as many suggestions as possible please.

This will be my first build, so I will need to learn what works for me in the future the best, but for now, give me as many suggestions as possible please.
You didn't read what Skillz and E4g1e wrote, did you?

Again, giving you hardware advice so far in advance does not help you since our hardware recommendations can and do change over time. So yes while we may recommend a certain motherboard and PSU now, we may not recommend that same PSU or mobo two months from now let alone the six months you're planning.

So again if you want up to date PC hardware advice, come back when you're 1 to 3 weeks away from buying the PC. Again, no point in planning in this early since you'll be saddled with an out of date PC build list in two months.

However if you really want to learn about PC hardware, then you should start by reading actual well written PSU reviews like the sites listed here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/738097/psu-review-database

Last edited:
Back