New to AMD

What's your definition of "value"? If around $275, then the 5600x is the best option. If more like $200, then look for a used 3600x or 3700x on the [H] for sale forum.

What's your definition of "value"? If around $275, then the 5600x is the best option. If more like $200, then look for a used 3600x or 3700x on the [H] for sale forum.

Thanks, probably in the 150 range

I purchased a ASRock B550M STEEL LEGEND AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard in a Newegg shuffle. I was going to sell, but I figured I might throw it together and see if I like it. What would be a good (value priced) CPU to stick on it?
Unfortunately, you’re trapped in between a rock and a hard place at this point:

The BIOS version that comes installed on your motherboard might not support anything older than Zen2 at all. Therefore, out of the box your board might not work at all with a 2000-series CPU or a 3000-series G-type APU.

As a result of your CPU budget being only $150, I would suggest that you cut your losses and sell the board to someone who can afford a CPU that’s priced well over $250.

And since that board has no BIOS flashback feature at all, that board might not even POST at all with an old or unsupported CPU.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you’re trapped in between a rock and a hard place at this point:

The BIOS version that comes installed on your motherboard might not support anything older than Zen2 at all. Therefore, out of the box your board might not work at all with a 2000-series CPU or a 3000-series G-type APU.

As a result of your CPU budget being only $150, I would suggest that you cut your losses and sell the board to someone who can afford a CPU that’s priced well over $250.

And since that board has no BIOS flashback feature at all, that board might not even POST at all with an old or unsupported CPU.

Thanks, it's not really a function of affordability, it's not something I need or have ever really wanted. I figured I would give it try since I had the board, but if it doesn't make sense then, yes, the board is gone.

Thanks, it's not really a function of affordability, it's not something I need or have ever really wanted. I figured I would give it try since I had the board, but if it doesn't make sense then, yes, the board is gone.
What's your current main rig setup? A Ryzen setup very well may be an upgrade for you.

In that case it seems unnecessary unless you just want to play with an AMD system. Not sure you want to shell out the money for a comparable CPU to the 10900K like a 5900X.

Thanks, it was a good idea

Around $150, I've seen 2600 or 2700s in that range over the past 6 months. Getting harder to find, as those are now a few generations back.

Good luck!

Zen+ support is iffy at best with B550. I don't know that any of them are officially supported other than occasionally the 3200/3400G APUs. X570 is much better in that regard, and B450/X470 is pretty much the king of compatibility with AM4 right now (although you give up PCIe 4.0 obviously).

My B550M Steel Legend doesn't support the 2700X, for what its worth. The official support is 3000-series and up. ASRock has released a BIOS update to support the 3400G (which is actually a 2000-series core, isn't it?), but they were not readily available last I had seen. I have a 3700x in mine and it runs great.

My B550M Steel Legend doesn't support the 2700X, for what its worth. The official support is 3000-series and up. ASRock has released a BIOS update to support the 3400G (which is actually a 2000-series core, isn't it?), but they were not readily available last I had seen. I have a 3700x in mine and it runs great.

There are some reports of it working even without "official" support with a handful of models. Like you said, the 3400g is a 2000 series CPU, so there is no technical reason why it can't work other than the CPU ID strings in the bios.

There are some reports of it working even without "official" support with a handful of models. Like you said, the 3400g is a 2000 series CPU, so there is no technical reason why it can't work other than the CPU ID strings in the bios.
I tried the 2700X that I have, but it wouldn't accept it. I had thought about going the custom-BIOS route, but then finally found a 3700X at a reasonable price, so that became the path of least resistance. The 2700X ended up in a B450 motherboard that I purchased on the For Sale / Trade sub-forum. Another personal anecdote: the Gigabyte motherboards that I have support a lot more CPUs than the ASRock motherboards that I have.

I tried the 2700X that I have, but it wouldn't accept it. I had thought about going the custom-BIOS route, but then finally found a 3700X at a reasonable price, so that became the path of least resistance. The 2700X ended up in a B450 motherboard that I purchased on the For Sale / Trade sub-forum. Another personal anecdote: the Gigabyte motherboards that I have support a lot more CPUs than the ASRock motherboards that I have.

It depends on the board with ASRock. They are generally some of the most compatible boards with ES chips and the like in my experience (Intel side of things...I understand this is an AMD discussion).

New for new, I can get 5600x cheaper at my local microcenter then I can find a 3600x online.
The 5600X is a fantastic CPU, even at non-Microcenter pricing. It has been as low as $269.99 from what I've seen recently online.

The 5600X is a fantastic CPU, even at non-Microcenter pricing. It has been as low as $269.99 from what I've seen recently online.
I was just browsing CPU prices at NewEgg:

3700X = $290
5600X = $272.66

I was just browsing CPU prices at NewEgg:

3700X = $290
5600X = $272.66
Unless I'm running a small VMware box I wouldn't take 8 lower IPC cores for more money than six higher IPC cores for less money.

Reactions: Tobit
like this
Hardware Unboxed did a video about this, and the 5600X won (by about 20% in gaming).

That CPU is probably the best bang for the buck out there right now on the AMD side. Unless you are getting the 3000 series for under $200 which you can do if you buy used. Buying used is not for everybody though. Hard to kill a CPU though unless you bend the pins.

Yeah the 5600x is the best choice right now for a mid-range rig. Definitely enough on the AMD side if you are not doing work on the machine.

While Intel has some cheaper chips that are good for gaming, I think Ryzen is a much better investment for overall system performance.

Yeah the 5600x is the best choice right now for a mid-range rig. Definitely enough on the AMD side if you are not doing work on the machine.

While Intel has some cheaper chips that are good for gaming, I think Ryzen is a much better investment for overall system performance.

Not to mention the ability to drop in high core count CPUs at a later time when they become cheaper.

Back