New TJ07 cooling project...could use your help/ideas

LOL two problems there Theorie.

I cut out the subfloor as you altready noticed for cables/tubes to come up. The second is that it's a windowed case and the window only fits when it's an ATX mount, not BTX. What do you think of that rear mount? I kind of like it and filling it should be a piece of cake.

to tell the truth i really like the rear mounted res's. seems like it would be very easy to fill the loops and also allow air to get out.

as far as the pumps...i guess mount them wherever you can haha

I would agree that the res's are probably going to serve you best by being mounted on the backside of the case. They also serve a dual purpose.. Easily accessible. Clean looking install. As for running dual colors, that might be a nifty little sight.. Some hate it.. Some like it.. It's just a preference thing I guess. I know one thing. If you ever had a leak, it would be MUCH simpler figuring out which loop is leaking.. LOL!

You are a monster! I love the design. After seeing your system come together, I am really toying with the idea of a second loop also. I would HAVE to upgrade my case as I simply DON'T have anymore room.. So, it's not that I am not willing to do a second loop like you, it's just I really don't have the time to completely start over with a new case.

:p Ya, it's definitely time consuming, but fun.

The rear mount may not work for both reservoirs. :( The problem is that the barbs are angled outwards and after re-evaluating I don't think I can get all 4 tubes in and out of that 80mm fan hole at the back.....crap!!!! At least not without more 90s and that's not good.

Last night I tried mounting one res at the back and one inside, the same place as Theorie has his. That works, but in order to avoid excessive tube lengths I have to run my loops like this.

#1 - rad > pump > res > gpu1 > rad
#2 - rad > res > pump > cpu > rad

Even with the above and two loops there's quite a bit of tubing in there. It's simply not going to be possible, even with the use of 90 fittings to do much with the tubing. Using the above loops cuts out about 2+ ft of tubing. Bottom line is without the reservoirs next to the pumps you can't make a tight loop and I am severly restricted up front with regards to space.

Anyone have experience with temps and putting your reservoirs after your pumps instead of before? My guess is that they'll be little to no change considering how fast the fluid gets sucked out.

I thought green/blue might mix it up a little. Blue by itself is what I had last time it might be kind of cool to see two colors flowing through the tubes. Getting that tubing in there without it looking like hell is another story altogether!! lol :p

Isn't it intrinsicly wrong to have radiators at the bottom of the case?

I've discounted the TJ07 for just that reason and am gonna get a Stacker STC-T01 with a triple rad fitted in the top.

I love the look of the TJ07 and I'm certain it would be quieter than the Stacker (which is important to me), but rads at the top just seem to be a 100% better than rads at the bottom. (in my head anyway)

Would there be room to install a triple rad in the bottom of the TJ07 and still have one of the h/d enclosures?

Is there something wrong with using velcro instead of making holes in a new case?

p.s. Deffo different colours in the loops...red and blue or black and white...mmmmmmmmm black and white would look wicked (again...in my head) :)

deffo something as contrasting as possible I reckon.

It hasn't affected temps as I ran the loops the other day and checked out the temps. One thing I can tell you is that filling/bleeding was insanely fast with rads at the bottom, reservoirs above. Took all of a few minutes to do both rads.

You can easily fit a triple or quad in the base of a TJ07 with a pump and reservoir (right sized) and run a single loop. If you're not insane like me :)p ) you'd go with a single 480, something like an MCP655 pump down below and maybe an EK 220 res inside mounted on the MB tray. Nice and clean and cool at the same time, with pump/rad invisible.

You wouldn't be able to keep the bottom HD enclosures with a triple (at least I don't think you can keep any of them), but you could get the Silverstone bay enclosure with supports 4 drives or use brackets and move one of them up.

Gonna go with green/blue in these loops and see how it looks. Pics coming soon....maybe even tonight if I get finished.

Masa.....you b*****d :p

Why oh why do people keep changing my mind.

Would a quad rad down the bottom be cooler than triple up top?

Could you install the quad using velcro? ooo hold on ... do you guys (yanks) ;) call it hook and loop tape?

Sorry, don't mean to hijack.

Fair play with the blue and green, it'll look very, very cool, whatever colour you use. I don't think I've seen two different colour fluids in a machine yet. Look forward to the pics.

I'm now re-reading this thread to look at what mods need to be made ot the case as I don't wanna, 'cos I'm scared and am no good with a dremel.

LOL dremel is useful, but dangerous especially on the 25000 RPM settings. You can make a serious mess with that without a steady hand.

I have a pa120.3, 240, and 480. 480 is the winner when cooling dual GPUs and a CPU, but it has the extra 120 so it's not fair to compare it to the 120.3. 120.3 does a good job. It really depends on how low you wanna go with your temps. That's really all we're paying for....a few less degrees heh.

I don't think it matters - quad down below or triple up top. Quad will be slightly cooler, but that's about it. If you can squeeze that triple up top without an external mount that would be cool too. I like the layout of the TJ07 because it allows you to pretty will hide the rad, pump and even a res (if you use a micro res) and at the end of the day with a single loop, all you'll see is tubing through the window.

Industrial strength velcro would actually work providing that you don't move the case around much. It's not the best solution however. I do have some myself....considered it originally heh.

edit
------------
Nothing wrong with that stacker. Just checked it out. If you can top mount that rad with room for fans you've got lots of room in that case.

OK, this is a hi-jack, everyone stay calm ;)

It's not as pretty as the TJ07 though is it? :( And I'm certain it has to be way noisier with the fans up top.

but it does have several advantages:

37300_4.jpg

37300_2.jpg

• SPACE!
  • I can buy the case with the rad and fans installed (no steady hand here I'm afraid)
  • You can still have ambient air cooling for the case with a hd enclosure with fan in 3 bays at the front (leaving 8) :) and the exhaust fan.
  • There's still room for an extra double rad up front or even 2 singles (front and bottom) if 2 x 8950's give out the expected heat loads :rolleyes:
  • SPACE! (Did I say that already?)

But you cannot put MCR320 up in the front also? can you? but how many bay will left?
And where you put the hard drives?

Cool build! Thanks for making me change my mind again when planning my 'dream' case, lol. Now I went from Lian Li to TJ07 looking at your project.

I like your line "....but hey, I always like to follow the governments rule of spending. Why settle for one when you can have two for twice the price???", you know how to go about building a computer the right way! :cool:

You can mount the hd cage and a GTX360 on the bottom. I checked it when I was putting mine together but went with the hd caddy up top. I can't think of too many advantages the Stacker has over the TJ07. Especially for wc builds. I've been very happy with mine.

IMG_0523.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0521.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0508.jpg
[/IMG]

I've been planning out a somewhat similar watercooling setup with the Silverstone TJ-07. In doing so, I found a really slick, albeit fairly expensive, hard drive enclosure.

The ICY Dock MB 455 takes up three 5.25" bays and holds five SATA hard drives in horizontal hot-swap trays. It's what I'm going to be using since my Thermochill PA120.3 is going to take up most of the room available in the bottom section of the case.

I was racking my brains trying to think of a way to mount those two MCP655s and EK 220mm reservoirs inside. I considered a rear mount, a mount with one inside and one at the back, and several other scenarios. The results for the most part would have been the same. A tubing nightmare and an extra 4 ft of tubing just for a back mount.....bleh!!! So I was trying to think outside the box yesterday (no pun intended) to see what I could come up with.

Well, it's not called modding for nothing now is it??? So I whipped out my Dremel and went to town. Ya baby.....what can't you do with 35000 RPM of raw Dremel power!! (and a pair of safety glasses heh)

So here's what could have been....something like this with tubing everywhere.

Cimg1769.jpg

And here's what I came up with...

My personal hack of a blueprint schematic....(what can I say, it was done in all of 15 secs)

revamped.jpg

Twin turbo MCP655s 4tw.....booyah baby!!!!

Cimg1782.jpg

Note the precision cutting.....haha.....I only lost 2 or 3 fingers in the process, but those babies fit nice and snug now. I never use those bottom bays anway, but I didn't cut out the screw holes just in case.

CIMG1789.jpg

Listen closely...........you can almost hear the engines revving.

CIMG1791.jpg

Time to mount the fuel tanks. Nothing a couple of L brackets can't handle. Houston....we have liftoff!!!!

CIMG1801.jpg

Room with a view....well sorta. Forgot to take the velcro off the last hack mount heh.

CIMG1803.jpg

And finally, the tubing. I'll probably remove that 90 degree fitting as I only used it as it's 5/8" OD tubing. Two very tight loops.....more on the tubing coming up.

CIMG1816.jpg

So at the end of the day I ended up with minimal use of tubing and some very short loops going from the rads to the reservoirs to the pumps. These EK reservoirs are very flexible and give you lots of options. Rather than dismounting the reservoirs to fill I'll simply run two fillports down from the top using about 6" of tubing for each. Don't have the fillports yet so that will have to wait a week or so.

Then I got to filling....going with the dual colors. Halfway through filling the second reservoir I noticed leaks and when I carefully examined them I saw how cheap and flimsy this 5/8" OD Tygon crap is. My 3/4" OD tubing never leaked, even after putting it together and taking it apart 10 times. You can't use the standard 1/2" clamps on 1/2" / 5/8" OD tubing with 1/2" barbs either...lame. I'll be pulling this junk off tonight and putting on some proper 3/4" OD Clearflex.

Check it out....my PC just became a public restroom facility. Bah. Hey dude!!! You forgot to flush!

CIMG1823.jpg

Notice in the background the half filled res with green fluid. That will be sic when it's flowing through under some UV lighting.

So left on the to do list is....
1.retubing the entire rig
2.installing the lighting, fans, and panels
3.adding the fillports.

More pics coming this weekend!!! Hope you enjoyed.

Holy mother of liquid madness.... Hahahaha! Lemme just go on record and say that your setup is dope. Nicely thought out and not just slapped together. This is what computer build should be... FUN! Buying a setup and actually having fun, putting it together. I like the fact that you setup is unique and not "just like the next guys" water setup. Individuality is a good thing! I just can't wait til it's all together, up and running.. Time to cash in on all of your hard work.

Ya, it came together quite well. The two pumps fit perfectly in the bay and I bolted them to the side with the screws that were holding the metal brackets on. On top of that those two EK reservoir brackets snap together for an exact fit across a 5.25 bay. Bravo EK!!

Once I get the lighting set up and the window on it should look pretty cool seeing the two colored tubes side by side and liquid flowing through. I'm eager to see how that will look. All 100% internal with two rads....it can be done! heh

I'm thinking I'll add the NB to the CPU loop next.

P.S. don't mix the green and blue fluids or.........*KABOOM*

I agree. That elbow is an eyesore. It comes out tonight along with all that tubing! That tubing kinks easily so I had to do it, but with the 3/4" OD tubing it's not needed.

I have a bunch of those 90 elbows coming in next week, but I think I'll be able to avoid using one entirely once I redo the tubing job.

I really like that 'twin turbo' pump setup. Great work!

Since you pushed me over to the TJ07 side...could you do me a favor and give me a measurement of the floor between the two sides? I'm thinking of a PA120.3, 2 shrouds, and 6 fans, and wondering if that whole contraption would fit or not. TIA

I can check that for you tonight. 12PM here right now.

Off the top of my head though it's going to be close. You can easily squeeze the 120.3 in with 3 fans (I have a 120.3 and tried it). Adding 3 more fans and a shroud will be tight, depending on the width of the shroud.

I'll check for you and measure my psu as well so you know what you have to work with.

You have enough Tygon to blow the whole neighborhood:eek:

:D

Nice cases. I just ordered mine :D

All these nice loops, pumps, and lots of tubing and you still have that whiny POS chipset fan to listen to. Put that north bridge under water!

Nice job on everything!

Hey Masaville, could you tell me where you got the 120mm fans you have on the rad. I must say that they look pretty slick. Thanks.

Hey Masaville, could you tell me where you got the 120mm fans you have on the rad. I must say that they look pretty slick. Thanks.

Silenx Pros. Compared to the 5 other brands of fans I have these are by far easily superior to all. Good airflow and very quiet when you mount them on a rad. 14dba, 72cfm. Expensive fans, but I feel they are worth it.

Since you pushed me over to the TJ07 side...could you do me a favor and give me a measurement of the floor between the two sides? I'm thinking of a PA120.3, 2 shrouds, and 6 fans, and wondering if that whole contraption would fit or not. TIA

Andy, I'll get these for you on Saturday. Gotta catch some shuteye.

Few more pics....got the loops filled. Tomorrow the wiring, fans and lighting.

CIMG1840.jpg

CIMG1835.jpg

CIMG1846.jpg

Question - go with the green/blue or all blue?

Any suggestions on lighting? Green, blue, UV cold cathode (it's UV fluid), or ?

Wow. Really amazing build here. And the dual pumps are just so sweet!

I would go with the green/blue, that's nice with two different loops. ;)

Just a misconception cleared up: The SilenX fans he has on, they're 14db at minimum starting voltage and 90cfm at 12v. One or the other, not both.

Nice setup.

Looks awesome, and definetly leave the blue/green setup!

Did all the clamp/mounts for both res come with them already?

Nice clean job. Definitely stay with the green/blue combo. Works well with the nVidia logo.

Looks awesome, and definetly leave the blue/green setup!

Did all the clamp/mounts for both res come with them already?

Yes, everything except the L brackets I used to mount them, which you can pickup at any local hardware store. The black brackets are included as well as a gray clip that snaps on to hold them in place. You don't really need to use the clip though. No chance of them falling out without it.

:cool:

Awesome.

By curiosity, how many feet of tubing did you use?

Guesstimate around 6 or 7 feet. They are pretty tight loops going directly from the radiators to the reservoirs and then about 3 or 4" into the pumps.

You've basically got 20cm exactly to work with. My ST85F powersupply is exactly about 8.5cm wide.

If you don't use the foam insert that comes with the PA120.3 then 25mm fans plus on both sides plus the 120.3 will be exactly 11cm wide.

That plus the original 8.5cm makes it 19.5 not include the shroud. Unless the shroud metal is very thin it wont' fit. Of course it depends on the height of your power supply as well. Not sure if they are all the same.

Remember, you also have to account for the outside screws to bolt the fans on closest to the side panel. They add about 3mm on as well.

It's tight, but it might be possible if the shroud metal is a total of a few mms thick. Barbs for the 120.3 would have to be down at the front of the case.

oh man now ive got the itch to put together a dual 8-series rig......

if i could just get my sli 7 series rig sold.....

here's what im looking at for my next tj07 build:
SILVERSTONE SST-TJ07-B Black
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
(2) EVGA 768-P2-N837-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR EPS12V 1000W PSU
OCZ FlexXLC Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2-1150 SDRAM
Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM ATA150 HDD
ENERMAX Aurora Black USB Mini Keyboard
Logitech G7 Black 6 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB RF Wireless Laser Mouse
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R IDE DVD Burner
Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card