New TJ07 cooling project...could use your help/ideas

You've basically got 20cm exactly to work with. .

Thanks! You know what, I had a brain fade...a PA120.3 with 2 Thermochill shrouds+6 fans wont fit lengthwise unless you move the power supply. Now by my math a 120.2 with 2 thermochill shrouds and 4 fans would fit across with 7mm to spare assuming 2mm thickness of the metal of the shrouds and published spec's are correct, along with your 20cm measurement. But I want a 120.3, so it looks like that double shroud idea wasnt that workable. Thanks for the measurement anyway.

So which one(air direction of the rad fans) did you decide to stick with? Also with all the other fans, are then blowing out or sucking in?

Thanks

Haven't got to that yet. Just finishing up the wiring, lighting and mounting of the hard disks.

Thanks! You know what, I had a brain fade...a PA120.3 with 2 Thermochill shrouds+6 fans wont fit lengthwise unless you move the power supply. Now by my math a 120.2 with 2 thermochill shrouds and 4 fans would fit across with 7mm to spare assuming 2mm thickness of the metal of the shrouds and published spec's are correct, along with your 20cm measurement. But I want a 120.3, so it looks like that double shroud idea wasnt that workable. Thanks for the measurement anyway.

Easily, especially if you have an OCZ power supply like the 1000w I picked up. It's a tiny little thing compared to the 850w I had.

Few more pics. Still not finished. Some fans to mount and wiring cleanup. Basically, the wires you see now are all that will show. Everything for the most part is hidden away.

CIMG1910.jpg

CIMG1911.jpg

CIMG1916.jpg

I'll post some quality shots when I'm done.

CPU idles around 32 on dual rad, GPUs about 45/41 on quad rad. Under load about 37-40 for cpu and GPUs top out at about 55. On average GPUs are 55/50 or a little lower.

Overall, it's reasonably quiet. I have a fan controller coming in this week that I have yet to hook up. The Silenx fans are very quiet. The Aerocools are a bit noisy, but they'll be run at lower RPMs anyway once I hookup the second fan controller.

That'll be one sweet system. Looking forward to it!!!

oh man now ive got the itch to put together a dual 8-series rig......

if i could just get my sli 7 series rig sold.....

here's what im looking at for my next tj07 build:
SILVERSTONE SST-TJ07-B Black
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
(2) EVGA 768-P2-N837-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR EPS12V 1000W PSU
OCZ FlexXLC Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2-1150 SDRAM
Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM ATA150 HDD
ENERMAX Aurora Black USB Mini Keyboard
Logitech G7 Black 6 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB RF Wireless Laser Mouse
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R IDE DVD Burner
Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

now i just gotta see if i've got an extra $5k to drop on a new PC...haha

CPU idles around 32 on dual rad, GPUs about 45/41 on quad rad. Under load about 37-40 for cpu and GPUs top out at about 55. On average GPUs are 55/50 or a little lower.

Overall, it's reasonably quiet. I have a fan controller coming in this week that I have yet to hook up. The Silenx fans are very quiet. The Aerocools are a bit noisy, but they'll be run at lower RPMs anyway once I hookup the second fan controller.

What cpu speed are you running?

What cpu speed are you running?

Stock at this point.

In case anyone is wondering, push vs. pull config on internal radiators with not much room in the case.

Push config is significantly more effective. A whopping 10c increase on GPUs and 5-7c on CPUs using a pull config with two internal rads. Fans running at 1400rpm, probably around 60-70cfm.

Pull is basically useless, you might as well go back to air cooling. If you only have the one rad it might be okay. If you're using an external rad mount it's probably fine to use either.

Stock at this point.

In case anyone is wondering, push vs. pull config on internal radiators with not much room in the case.

Push config is significantly more effective. A whopping 10c increase on GPUs and 5-7c on CPUs using a pull config with two internal rads. Fans running at 1400rpm, probably around 60-70cfm.

Pull is basically useless, you might as well go back to air cooling. If you only have the one rad it might be okay. If you're using an external rad mount it's probably fine to use either.

Sorry, just to clarify, you mean "push" as in "the fans are pushing the air out of the case" (the fans blow out, so to speak)?

And yeah, I couldn't see a single picture either. Total bummer.

Sorry, just to clarify, you mean "push" as in "the fans are pushing the air out of the case" (the fans blow out, so to speak)?

And yeah, I couldn't see a single picture either. Total bummer.

Actually, my fans are on the outside so I'm pushing in. Easier to get at if one of them bites the dust.

Actually, my fans are on the outside so I'm pushing in. Easier to get at if one of them bites the dust.

Hehe, goes to show how subjective semantics can be. I would call your set up 'Pull' as it seems to be pulling cool air in from the outside.

In any case, looking forward to seeing those pics. I'm going nuts trying to find a good watercooling case. The hardest part is balancing cost, looks and just how much work I'm willing to do on my own.

Pics are fixed now.

My modular power supply was acting up so I ditched it for an OCZ 1000w. The OCZ is the PSU on the right....check out how small it is.

In comparison the OCZ fits beautifully in a TJ07 with two rads down below giving you a bit more space to work with the cables. On the flipside the fan is noisier than the Silverstone STF850 so it's a bit of a trade off.

Personally, I'm surprised they could jam a 1000w power supply into that unit. It's damn small.

cimg1853.jpg

You can comb your hair in this baby!

cimg1855.jpg

Lots of room for cables. The PCI-E cables are the red ones....enough for an SLI setup.

cimg1861.jpg

Drilled a hole at the back of the MB and inserted a gromet to run the MB cable through. Trying to keep the cabling job nice and clean.

cimg1863.jpg

cimg1864.jpg

Mounted the MB cable on the tray using a couple of clamps.

cimg1872.jpg

The rear cabling job....still a work-in-progress.

cimg1874.jpg

I still have a couple of rear fans to mount and have to replace the top two 120mm fans. Those 92cfm Aerocools are pretty loud when pressed up against the grill....going with something a bit quieter.

Got one of these coming today and then a bit of lighting to install and that should do it.

rheobus.jpg

Last item on the to do list, lighting.

looking great!

i just found someone to buy my TJ07 rig...looks like my new one will be in the works soon!

can't wait to see it with lighting

Great news Theorie!!! Did you get asking or close to? I'm looking forward to your next project. What are you thinking you might go with?

What was the issue with your Strider 850? I ask because there is a known issue with that psu and the 680i board, something about it dropping the 5v after x amount of time.

I today received my Corsair 620w to replace my Strider 750, it made some odd noises after my 8800GTX died, so I don't trust it anymore.

I think I bent the MB cable too many times because it appeared to be the connection of that cable. If you jiggled it the PC would shutdown, so likely the cable or the socket it plugged into. I suspect the cable.

You've done a great job on setting everything up. With regards to mounting the heat exchangers in the bottom, I would say that there are much greater benifits with this setup over top mounted rads.

You want as much coolant storage below the resevoir in the setup where it's the coolest, and it will help move any air up into the system.

Also, when mounting 2 exchangers in parallel, I would have the fans push air in one direction only. If both sides are blowing towards each other, you lose air flow as one air mass fights against the other. Pushing air out from inside to the outside will create a slight vacuum and/or pull internal ambiant air in from the case.

I would also have the 4 fan setup on one side, pushing the air inside, with the 2 fan exchanger exhausting the air to the outside with a 3rd unobstructed fan (if there is room). That way you will have as much air exiting the case, as there is entering. 4 fans pushing air through a restriction (exchanger) is equal to 2 restricted fans + 1 open fan pushing out the other side.

Maybe someone with some fluid dynamic experience could comment?

Great news Theorie!!! Did you get asking or close to? I'm looking forward to your next project. What are you thinking you might go with?

yeah im asking $1999 for it (without any hard drives) and he said sure. im meeting him saturday so he can pick it up.

think i might wait 2 or 3 months to order new parts for the dual 8800gtx project. just found out i'm moving back to florida (more schoolin') before the summer is over, so i'm going to wait until im settled down there...i dont want to have to move a big heavy computer all the way down the east coast.

for now im using an old rig i had sitting around:
1.6ghz athlon XP cpu
256mb ram
geforce 2 vid card

haha its a POS but i only need it to house my HDD's so i can access my files with my laptop. :D

Thanks. Good point about the fan placement and very valid point about the heat, didn't think about that. I might have to give that a try. I did notice a lot of hot air coming out of the top of the case considering that it doesn't have a lot of vents besides those on the fans. Putting a rad up there wouldn't be the best idea. When I had an 830 Stacker there wasn't so much hot air flowing up as the entire case was one giant vent. Not the same case for the TJ07.

You've done a great job on setting everything up. With regards to mounting the heat exchangers in the bottom, I would say that there are much greater benifits with this setup over top mounted rads.

You want as much coolant storage below the resevoir in the setup where it's the coolest, and it will help move any air up into the system.

Also, when mounting 2 exchangers in parallel, I would have the fans push air in one direction only. If both sides are blowing towards each other, you lose air flow as one air mass fights against the other. Pushing air out from inside to the outside will create a slight vacuum and/or pull internal ambiant air in from the case.

I would also have the 4 fan setup on one side, pushing the air inside, with the 2 fan exchanger exhausting the air to the outside with a 3rd unobstructed fan (if there is room). That way you will have as much air exiting the case, as there is entering. 4 fans pushing air through a restriction (exchanger) is equal to 2 restricted fans + 1 open fan pushing out the other side.

Maybe someone with some fluid dynamic experience could comment?

yeah im asking $1999 for it (without any hard drives) and he said sure. im meeting him saturday so he can pick it up.

think i might wait 2 or 3 months to order new parts for the dual 8800gtx project. just found out i'm moving back to florida (more schoolin') before the summer is over, so i'm going to wait until im settled down there...i dont want to have to move a big heavy computer all the way down the east coast.

for now im using an old rig i had sitting around:
1.6ghz athlon XP cpu
256mb ram
geforce 2 vid card

haha its a POS but i only need it to house my HDD's so i can access my files with my laptop. :D

You'll suffer withdrawl, no? haha

$400 for the TJ07 case :eek:

Damn i am starting to love my Ultra Aluminus Case more. $20 AR :D

So what kind of temps are you getting on your e6700? Stock ? OC ?

Also, what are those cable ties your using?

Wooohooo finally done!!!! These are the final pics. I'm not photographer so the one in the dark is overexposed.

cimg1921.jpg

cimg1927.jpg

cimg1944.jpg

cimg1966.jpg

cimg1986.jpg

cimg1998.jpg

cimg2097.jpg

3000.jpg

3001.jpg

3003.jpg

3005.jpg

3006.jpg

3007.jpg

Very nicely done, I want to do a similar setupm With a 360 and no reservoir. I just can't drop that much dough on the case. Congrats tho, hope it is everything you expected.

That is the cleanest dual loop setup i have ever seen, period.

One thing is bugging the hell outta me...

WTH is the heatpipe cooled radiator thing at the top of this picture? http://www.masaville.com/mod_images/cimg1927.jpg

cimg1927ke2.jpg

Its not in any of the other pictures...:confused: I know it cant be the reference NB heat sink, it looks different.

This is a terrific rig, i wish you great overclocks!

looks like a thermright NB cooler..

I was messing around a threw a NC-07 on the NB/SB. Couldn't cool worth a damn so I yanked it off. I'm back to the stock heatpipe. I think it would have been fine on the NB, but the SB MCP is too damn hot. The stock cooler did a better job.

sorry. i dont know if anyone is still watching this thread. but hey, ill ask my questions anyway. whats temps are you getting with the cpu block/what clock is it at? those EK res's im looking to get one, what fittings do they come with?
thanks,
sweet build :)

Also going to get the BIX460 since it fits! This was an awesome build and will be using a lot of it as a reference for building my first water cooled system. I do have a few of questions if you don't mind:

What are the blue things on the left side of your drive cage?

What did you use to mount the hard drives on the right side?

How's the airflow? Since you do not water cool the northbridge nor the memory, it seems like more airflow would be needed.

What attachment for the dremel did you use to cut through the metal?

Do you think it is feasible to cut a hole through the glass to put a fan in so that air can come in from a lower point in the case, thus creating more air flow that will be exhausted out through the top fans? I was thinking about closing off the bottom of the case with something (any ideas???) and only having holes between the bottom and top part for the tubes/power cables.

I hope Silverstone sees what you have done and will consider making the same case, except a copule of inches wider and longer! Again, AWESOME design.

Back