New Thermaltake Cases

adamvk

Limp Gawd
Thermaltake introduced new cases 4 days ago, the new armor and the xaser.

I need help finding one of them. I can not find the Thermaltake Xaser (Red one) with the meshed side instead of the window. On the site the model is VH9000BNS. Also, is it possible to buy a completely black side for the Armor mid tower case? The case looks sweet but the side window kills it. Thanks!

Saw them both at CompUSA. They're nearly identical except for the obvious external differences.

The Xaser IV and Armor+ (both the standard and MX versions) are using the same interior, but differ in terms of outside appearence.

From what I know, there currently aren't any optional side panels for these cases available. But that might come sometime in the future... there are also two or three different panels available for the older Armor versions.

Also keep in mind that the smaller MX versions are new, many stores might still not have them yet.

we need that new 10 slot standard. Foxconn has had multiple showcased concept 10 slot boards, lets bring one into production. Long ATX (LATX?) or something. Seriously, two dual slotted GFX cards, sound card, two of whatever niche your in cards (raid, capture, maybe even just a pci to USB bridge card), and your out of space. Chipset growth over the past year has clearly shown that by the end of 09 Intel's X78 or whatever they call it for nehalem will have well upward of 100 pci-e lanes, especially with all that freed up silicon space for the memory controller. Four pci-e 2.0 16X slots and your still looking at plenty of bandwidth to spare. I vote we move to this whole 10 slot thing.

Plus that armor plus looks pretty awesome :cool:

OK cool. I emailed Thermaltake, they don't have an ETA yet. :(

I think I will wait a few months or weeks for it to come out.

Not going to get an 8800 GTX, Ultra, or any of the 9800 series into that space without some modification, dimensions are smaller than my Xaser III, and the shark.

Not to bash on Thermaltake or anything, but their cases are just getting uglier and uglier with each one they come out with.

i wholeheartedly would like to bash on thermaltake because their cases do get uglier with every iteration. they and raidmax compete for most-riceboy-case-builder honors every year.

That's technically bashing Thermaltake, could say the same thing about Lian-Li (that have made square boxes without changing the external appearance from day one to present...although the insides are well laid out), Antec (have never ventured into aluminum cases to date, and you said Thermaltake are ugly, have you seen the 900 front bezel and the 1200 is shockingly ugly from almost any angle), and Coolermaster (The Cosmos S is what the Stackers should have been...but with intake filters as a bonus)...that should have covered the odds that you own one of those brands...and I wasn't bashing them or anything just pointing out the immediately obvious:D

How good a case looks is always a personal opinion. I have an Armor+ right beside me, yes, the new version with that "ugly" plastic top.
I don't think it is ugly, I don't think it's great looking, it just doesn't bother me at all.

The internals and the features is what's more important for me. Motherboard tray, lots of space, many options for cooling (and water cooling), great HDD cage system, easy and secure 5,25" drive installation, good cable management options are just a few things I really love about this case.
So no, because of the price and the features, I sure don't mind that plastic thing on the top.

I really only love the Armor TT cases. Oh and the Kandalf case too.. The others are, eh..

I love my Armor, but im not using it right now... just sits there. lol.

The armor + looks better to me... And i dont like plastic on my cases at all, so im very happy with my rocketfish/lianli which is like solid aluminum.

I love all the room in the Armor cases :) I just added a third HDD cage today and am enjoying the three front intake fans!
IMG_0342.jpg

:D :D

My last case was the TT Armor, But now I am using a LL PC-A70 and couldnt be happier. The Armor was nice. I had several of the bay covers on the armor break due to their being plastic and I called TT to see about getting some additional covers and they told me they dont sell them, But no biggie, But to me I thought they could at least sell some additional covers just in case one got broke during shipment or whatnot. Like the LL cases, You can find bay covers easy.

Thank you very much^

Maybe Ill just go with the silver version with out a window. The black/red one without a window isn't out yet.

I really think they made a step backwards with the new cases, I prefer the 8000 series Armors. Heavier than shit loaded, but lots of space, decently constructed, and not too much of the old TT bling crap, which they unfortunately look to be making a turn back to. Let's just hope they don't fuck up their good run with PSUs and go back to bling over power/performance/efficiency there, or all is lost for TT.

Regardless though, I really wish they would have done something about those fucking wings on the case. There is a huge issue w/ them not latching for *many* people, me included, mine got yanked from the get go, and the case looks better for it. And good luck getting a dual 120 rad in the Armor+ without modification (although shouldn't be too hard on the bottom given the extra space)... Nice job on the mobo tray though, you can remove/install the board w/ expansion cards intact - most don't allow that. And the 10 slots, well not really useful now, but I can see it helping in the near future, especially with the gravitation towards dual slot cards - they need more breathing room! Does make it much easier to mount a dual 120 rad internally though with all that extra space @ the bottom, as long as you ditch the HDD modules.

I have to agree on something else while I'm @ it.. The lack of replacement parts. They really should allow for that. I mean, I've had nothing break, yet at least.. But I have never liked the bendy metal tabs for the bay covers/filters - I'm just waiting for the stress to be too much and break off rendering it useless. With 2 cats (one being a hairy ass Siamese), and windows open nearly 24/7, and being a smoker (yeah yeah I know) - I'm glad I've got those filters and need to clean/wash them pretty often.

I really like the look of some Thermaltake cases. On the other hand, some do look pretty horrible. That Armor+ MX looks pretty great, IMO.
I've got a Tsunami Dream and I really like the look of it, even if it does feel odd to have a steel front door with everything else being plastic.
The thing is, my 8800GTX required me to trim the hard drive cage a little and I was looking to avoid that with another case. I've only got 1 HD, so I really wouldn't mind removing that whole section just for better airflow.
Of note, the one review on NewEgg actually has a guy who supposedly fit an 8800GTX into it. I'm curious if he had to do anything to make it fit.

fantomau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexer View Post
Thermaltake should change their name to Tacky

That's just my opinion
Thermaltacky

Everyone has a different opinion on what case they like the look of, Lian-Li are really nice on the inside but my god they are dull externally, may as well paint it beige like the cases pre-2000, I bought a Xaser III back in 04 because it was different and had a good internal layout and was solid as a tank.

The Shark was the last case I really liked from Tt as it was not over the top and was practical, although now I have found out that it won't fit what I want into the case I'm now looking at the Xaser 4...Which I only like because of the internal arrangements, and it looks okay...ish, everything else on the market is either too over the top with no filters, flimsy panels with useless wingy bits, or nothing at all just a bunch of mesh filling the gap to suck dust in (antec 900 being guilty of this designers brain fart), or dull as ditch water and priced way too high for what it is (guilty as charged Lian-Li...should change their name to Vanil-li=plain), at least Tt give you some filters and a door to reduce dust and keep the asthetics looking good , although I have no idea why they didn't put a door on the armour?

The Shark was the last case I really liked from Tt as it was not over the top and was practical, although now I have found out that it won't fit what I want into the case I'm now looking at the Xaser 4...Which I only like because of the internal arrangements, and it looks okay...ish, everything else on the market is either too over the top with no filters, flimsy panels with useless wingy bits, or nothing at all just a bunch of mesh filling the gap to suck dust in (antec 900 being guilty of this designers brain fart), or dull as ditch water and priced way too high for what it is (guilty as charged Lian-Li...should change their name to Vanil-li=plain), at least Tt give you some filters and a door to reduce dust and keep the asthetics looking good , although I have no idea why they didn't put a door on the armour?
Definitely seconding you there. I've been checking out a lot of cases recently. Most of them are high on mesh, but low on filters. Mesh is great for airflow until you realize your components are killing themselves, happily choking on dust. TT puts filters nearly everywhere there's mesh. A round of applause for that.

I still hate what their cases look like externally, though.

As for why the armor doesn't have a front door, well...that's due to the name.

I'm actually looking at getting the armor+mx now instead of the xaser. It looks to be a great case. Do you think I would have problems fitting my 8800 in there?

I'm actually looking at getting the armor+mx now instead of the xaser. It looks to be a great case. Do you think I would have problems fitting my 8800 in there?

I'm wondering that, too. My Tsunami fit an 8800GTX, but I had to trim a little of the HD cage off. It luckily only took a few snips with some metal cutters, so it's not like it was an engineering feat. This one seems to be the same size. Of note, the review on NewEgg mentions the guy has an 8800GTX and he claims it fit...so maybe it's good to go with no mods needed?

I'm wondering that, too. My Tsunami fit an 8800GTX, but I had to trim a little of the HD cage off. It luckily only took a few snips with some metal cutters, so it's not like it was an engineering feat. This one seems to be the same size. Of note, the review on NewEgg mentions the guy has an 8800GTX and he claims it fit...so maybe it's good to go with no mods needed?

Hopefully....

Back