New System

Drailing

n00b
Joined
May 13, 2010
Messages
3
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Gaming. Probably Modern Warfare 2, Team Fortress 2, Bad Company 2, maybe some FTP MMOs (not really demanding on the system). Ability to program well is a must.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

I'd like to keep my spending under $1200, tax and shipping included.

3) Where do you live?

California, US.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.

Everything. Including monitor, mouse and keyboard.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

None.

6) Will you be overclocking?

If recommended.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

Whatever the size of the monitor you recommend is.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

As soon as possible.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.

None in particular, maybe USB3 and SATA 3 for future proofing.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

Well, I don't, but I can get Windows 7 Professional for $65 through the educational discount. Factor that into the $1200 maximum.

11.) Additional comments:

I need to be able to connect to a wi-fi network. In addition, there is a Fry's and Microcenter near me if needed. I pay taxes on Newegg.

For certain purposes, I may prefer Intel, but I'd rather others decide on that one (I've heard good things about the i5 - 750). This is my first build.
 
You'll definitely want to go to MC and pickup an i7 860 for $200. ;) [edit: removed 930]

$200 - Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156
$130 - Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX ($10 MIR)
$110 - G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1600 F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
$200 - Asus VH236H Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI 1080P LCD ($20 MIR)
$305 - XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB
$55 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200RPM SATA300 16MB Buffer
$22 - Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B
$70 - Cooler Master Centurion 590 ATX Mid Tower RC-590-KKN1-GP
$90 - Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W 80+ Certified PSU ($10 MIR)
==========
$1182 + $50 tax + $0 shipping - $40 MIRs = $1192AR

KB and mouse are personal preference, so get what you like. I switched some links to Amazon to save a few bucks. Shipping should be free, at the time of this post. Oh, sorry, forgot to factor in the KB/Mouse/OS prices. Oh wellz, maybe someone can cut some corners for you; like drop the mobo down a bit and maybe the monitor and vidcard as well; switching to the i5 750 would only save you $20 :(.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just to clarify: only the Core i7 860 would work the above setup.

Also, you can pick up most of those parts from Amazon.com. Good thing since amazon doesn't charge tax for us CA residents.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Yeah, my main concern is the OS would go over budget.

I can't see a way to cut the budget too much. Would dropping to a 5830 help at all?
 
For FPS games on 1080p, I'd highly suggest sticking with the HD5850. You could drop the case and PSU down a bit. The EA500D should be fine with a very mild OC on the CPU, but if you want to go further and/or want more headroom, you should go for the EA650 instead, as well as a better CPU HSF. Get whichever case you like and can afford. ;)
$30 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm CPU HSF
$44 - Silverstone PS02B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower ($10 MIR)
$50 - Cooler Master Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
$65 - Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W APFC 80+ Bronze Certified
$80 - Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W 80+ Certified

If you're really strapped for cash, then the HD 5830 will have to do. I'd recommend XFX for the lifetime warranty, btw:
$235 - Sapphire 100297L Radeon HD 5830 1GB 100297L ($15 MIR)
$252 - XFX HD-583X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5830 1GB
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Err, the EA650 isn't worth it at $80 since you can get the better quality Corsair 650TX for just $10 more.
 
I know I'm bumping this from a while ago, but I'd like some finalization.

Is it possible to have an i3 530 with my budget?
 
I know I'm bumping this from a while ago, but I'd like some finalization.

Is it possible to have an i3 530 with my budget?

The i3 would be quite a downgrade from what has been suggested. If you really need to cut the build price down you could go with this combo:

Phenom II X4 945 + Gigabyte GA-770TA

and then stick with the rest of the build that enginurd suggested. That would free up about $100 that you could spend for win7.
 
Back
Top