New System Rebuid Help

ChatChai

n00b
My cousins motherboard has seemed to crap out so he just wants to upgrade all his parts that are strictly optimal for Microsoft Flight Simulator X and sometimes BF2. I heard that MFSX does well with multi-cores but I'm not that tech savvy when it comes to this so that was just general reading I came across. I've answered the basic questions required below. I also have a Microcenter and Fry's close to me. I saw that Microcenter has a deal on the i5 750 for $159 so I'm not sure if it is a good idea to build around that.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming - Microsoft Flight Simulator X Mostly and a little BF2

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$500 - $600 yes tax included

3) Where do you live?
California

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Video Card

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
PSU - Antec True430W
Samsung (1614C) - 160GB Hard Drive
Case - Mid Tower ATX
DVD/CD Drive

6) Will you be overclocking?
No

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
22"

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Now

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
None that I'm aware of. Maybe more than 4USB ports.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Yes

True 430?

Is that the full name for the PSU or is it actually Truepower I, II, or Trio?

What computer case do you have?

True 430?

Is that the full name for the PSU or is it actually Truepower I, II, or Trio?

What computer case do you have?

I've searched everywhere for a model and this all I could come up with. On the side of the PSU it says Antec then to the right it says True430 in blue and under that it says 430W in blue. As for the Case I'm not sure. The front panel cover which covered the Optical Drives is taken off. I'm assuming that is where the name was. If you want to make sure things fit the previous MB that was in their that crapped out was an MSI K8N NEO4.

1+ Danny Bui you might need to buy psu also.

As for the i5 750 question, yes it would best cpu to base your upgrade on.

ASUS P7P55D LE $135
G.Skill DDR3 1600 4GB kit $80
XFX 4870 1 GB $150
Antec Earthwatt 650 watt $80 or New Truepower 550 watt $80

Last edited:
Yeah the mobo doesn't tell me much TBH. Is there any way you can get a picture of the case?

Oh and you're gonna have to buy a new PSU. The True430 is an old old PSU not suitable for the type of system you're building.

CPU wise, the i5 750 is an excellent choice at $159. Mobo wise I recommend this mobo:
$110 - Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Intel P55 ATX Motherboard

Also note that MC will sometimes pricematch Newegg on mobos as long as you bring a printout of your newegg cart with the mobo in it.

RAM wise, I recommend this RAM:
$80 - G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM

GPU wise, if you can't wait for another month or so for the new ATI cards to come and force a drop in prices for their older carts, the HD4870 1GB is enough for a 22" monitor:
$145 - XFX HD-487A-ZHFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB PCI-E Video Card

PSU wise, I recommend this PSU:
$100 - Antec Truepower New TP-650 650W PSU

However if you need to save a bit of cash,don't ever plan on overclocking, and don't mind not having that much headroom for upgrades, then I recommend this PSU:
$67 - Seasonic SS-500ES 500W PSU

Yeah the mobo doesn't tell me much TBH. Is there any way you can get a picture of the case?

Oh and you're gonna have to buy a new PSU. The True430 is an old old PSU not suitable for the type of system you're building.

CPU wise, the i5 750 is an excellent choice at $159. Mobo wise I recommend this mobo:

Also note that MC will sometimes pricematch Newegg on mobos as long as you bring a printout of your newegg cart with the mobo in it.

GPU wise, if you can't wait for another month or so for the new ATI cards to come and force a drop in prices for their older carts, the HD4870 1GB is enough for a 22" monitor:

However if you need to save a bit of cash,don't ever plan on overclocking, and don't mind not having that much headroom for upgrades, then I recommend this PSU:

Took a picture of the PSU also just in case.
comp1.jpg

comp2.jpg

comp3.jpg

comp4.jpg

Can you take a picture of the inside of the case as well as the rear of the case?

Is there about an 1" clearance between the HDD bay and the motherboard?

From the hard drive itself but now the power that is plugged into it. That is about at the MB.

Just read my above comment I don't know what I even wrote there. If I was confused I'm guessing you may have. I wrote it quickly while jetting out of the house. I'm guessing broken thoughts :D

The Hard Drive is about 1 inch from the MB but the power that is plugged into the hard drive is lined up next to the MB. I hope that helps.

Considering I want to build this now any other recommendations if this is sold out? I mean if XFX is the best to get I'm sure I can try to find it elsewhere otherwise I'd rather just order it all form the same place.

Just read my above comment I don't know what I even wrote there. If I was confused I'm guessing you may have. I wrote it quickly while jetting out of the house. I'm guessing broken thoughts :D

The Hard Drive is about 1 inch from the MB but the power that is plugged into the hard drive is lined up next to the MB. I hope that helps.

I got what you were trying to say but I wanted to know the distance between the hard drive bay and your motherboard.

Yeah XFX is the best ATI card manufacturer IMO due to their lifetime warranty and excellent customer support. Here's another XFX HD4870 1GB card I recommend buying:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150436

I got what you were trying to say but I wanted to know the distance between the hard drive bay and your motherboard.

Yeah XFX is the best ATI card manufacturer IMO due to their lifetime warranty and excellent customer support. Here's another XFX HD4870 1GB card I recommend buying:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150436

Ok I understand. Yeah there is a little more than an inch from the MB and the Drive Bay. Also doing a comparison of the 2 Video Cards and the only difference I see is:

Memory Clock 900MHz (3.6Gbps) versus 3600MHz (NewEgg Comparison)
*Seems a bit confusing because it says 3.6Gbps next to 900MHz. I'm assuming that is the same as 3600MHz. Otherwise there is no difference. Is it worth it to find the initial card you recommended at another store even if it may be a bit more?

Not really worth the trouble. You won't honestly notice a performance difference between those two cards.

Make sure your HDD bay isn't too close to the mobo, otherwise your vidcard may not fit without modding. ;)

Yeah the mobo doesn't tell me much TBH. Is there any way you can get a picture of the case? ...

Why would the mobo tell you anything about the psu/case? :p :D

Doh! I know this is totally my bad since I should have checked but the link you provided was to a Micro-ATX board and the video card is waaaaaaaaay to big for the board. Now I gotta order a board and I don't know what to do with this one.

Wait, what? what does it matter if the vidcard is longer than the board? They should work fine together.

Wait, what? what does it matter if the vidcard is longer than the board? They should work fine together.

It's lined over the memory clips. Unless there is a fraction of clearance I'm suppose to get I can't seem to get it to fit with the memory in place.

Yeah what enginurd said. Did you close in the Memory clips?

Ahh, clips! i read that in such a hurry i thought it said chips. :eek: Yah, what Danny said... your RAM isn't in all the way. :p

Back