New system cant choose between 2 processors

Sweetnsexy

n00b
Building new system, I cant makup my mine if I should go with a FX55 or the athlon 3700 sckt 754

I read that the two of them have the same cach only the mhz is whats different.

I am not planning to overclock so thats out. I want it to be a serious gamming rig and thinking of going to the pci express option hopefuly motherboard having two pci express slots for dual.

Can you guys go in detail between the two cpus if one is better than the other or are they to identicale?

umm.. the fx-55 is 200mhz faster, has dual channel memory (s939) and unlocked multi's

if you can afford an fx-55 and a s939 mobo, get that..
if not, get the 3800+ or a 3700+and a 754 mobo

any of the faster AMD-64 cpus will make an awesome gaming rig.
if your not going to OC stay from the FX's.
if you want an CPU upgrade path, go socket 939
if you want almost the same performance, for less cash, but no upgrade path, go 754

bountyhunter said:
the 3700 is much better then the 3800+. AMD's model numbers suck dick
true, but he can upgrade to another 939 a64 chip in a year with the 3800+, 754 will have to be a mobile a64, which isn't always a viable solution.

if I go with the 754 socket route do they have dual pci express slots yet or is that only ont he 939 socket level?

Steel Chicken said:
any of the faster AMD-64 cpus will make an awesome gaming rig.
if your not going to OC stay from the FX's.
if you want an CPU upgrade path, go socket 939
if you want almost the same performance, for less cash, but no upgrade path, go 754

Sorry My fellow Coloradoian, I have to disagree with ya on a thing or two.
First is that the FX CPU's are actually marketed to the extreeme gamers. Mainly cause to get the performance that you want you dont have to OC.(but if ya choose so, so be it thus the unlocked multi.) But here is the funny thing about that. Most guys that OC their FX55's like me dont run the Multi up. In fact it starts @ 13x and most of us run them @ 10 to 11.5X so we actually reduce the multi and run the FSB up. But if you want the Ultimate gaming CPU with NO overclocking the FX55 is the only way to go if ya have the dough. I would not go anything less then socket 939 and A64. If your looking at an affordable upgrade go that route. Anything from the A64 3000 to the A64 4000. Of course the higher ya go the more $$$ you will spend. As far as socket 754 its just about dead!! no future boards coming soon, nothing in PCI-e or upgraded feature. It will be gone before the end of this year.
but thats what I belive and see.

The Cpt.

Captin Insano said:
First is that the FX CPU's are actually marketed to the extreeme gamers. Mainly cause to get the performance that you want you dont have to OC.(but if ya choose so, so be it thus the unlocked multi.) But here is the funny thing about that. Most guys that OC their FX55's like me dont run the Multi up. In fact it starts @ 13x and most of us run them @ 10 to 11.5X so we actually reduce the multi and run the FSB up. But if you want the Ultimate gaming CPU with NO overclocking the FX55 is the only way to go if ya have the dough. I would not go anything less then socket 939 and A64. If your looking at an affordable upgrade go that route. Anything from the A64 3000 to the A64 4000. Of course the higher ya go the more $$$ you will spend. As far as socket 754 its just about dead!! no future boards coming soon, nothing in PCI-e or upgraded feature. It will be gone before the end of this year.

The Cpt.

You would reccomend an FX-55 to someone thats NOT going to overclock? Trying to drive AMD stock up or what? What does the FX line give you besides an upwards unlocked multi and a big e-penis? (and a huge credit card bill, yikes)

What else would you disagree with me with, i dont see anything else besides the FX-55 recomendation, i already mentioned 754 has no upgrade path, long term

Captin Insano said:

The Cpt.

QFT.

And he was saying that if you want the ultimate gaming rig without having to overclock, the FX is the way to go. He's not saying if you are not going to overclock, you should ge the FX.

ok ok ok ok ok

So far you got me sold ont he socket 939 now its to decide if it will be the fx55 version or the athlon 64.

I really want an awesome gamming rig. Even willing to go with the ati 850 chipset.

Just dont know spending allt hat money on that fx55 is worth it. Meanign the speed difference between that and the athlon 64s?

Are we taling about huge differences or a fraction of speed. fraction isnt much worth to pay 3 hundred more bucks on when you can dal with a fraction for like 500 bucks or so.

Let me knwo what you guys think.

FX-55 = 2.6ghz
4000 = 2.4ghz
both have 1MB of cache

$900 vs $600 (appx)

me, I choose a $300 754 pin 3700, and overclocked it to 2.65
but, youre not overclocking.

yes, if youve got $900 to spend, an FX-55 is the absolute best single CPU gaming setup you can buy

Steel Chicken said:
FX-55 = 2.6ghz
4000 = 2.4ghz
both have 1MB of cache

$900 vs $600 (appx)

me, I choose a $300 754 pin 3700, and overclocked it to 2.65
but, youre not overclocking.

yes, if youve got $900 to spend, an FX-55 is the absolute best single CPU gaming setup you can buy

see for 200 mhz of a difference I dont know if I shold spend the 300 bucks or wait till they release the next one.

Back