New system build questions! -- Help please!

Zork

n00b
Ok, I have been doing research off and on from about the time the core 2 duos came out until now in preparation for my new build which I've been planning for around this month or next.

Currently, I already have my case ThermalTake VC3000BNS, PSU Corsair HX620W, and Ram Corsair Dominator 2GB PC2 8500.

Here is my current "wish list" of remaining items.

Also, I should note that I am planning to run Windows Vista Ultimate (and probably Windows XP Pro as a dual boot).

Basically, the time has come and I need to make sure I have this figured out because I need to order everything asap. I got a new job as a web developer and my boss is gonna buy this stuff for me and needs me to get it ordered soon.

My first question is this: is my two GB of ram gonna be enough for Vista Ultimate. I do game as well, so that is something to take into consideration. I have read that 3gb (2x1gb + 2x512mb) is good for Vista. If I need more Ram, I was thinking about just ordering another kit of the same 2gbs of ram rather then getting a kit of 512s. What do you guys think I need?

My second question is this: what do you think about the rest of the components in my wish list? Any better suggestions, or am I good? My concern is that, now that I have waited this long, I will buy all this and in a week something will come out that just owns the CPU or Video card, etc. that I got. I do need to hurry though, I can't wait much longer cause it's what I'm gonna use for my new job as well.

Finally, I am having the hardest time figuring out what monitor to go with. I like the 22" widescreens, so I have been looking in that range. Right now, I've been thinking about going with the SAMSUNG 226BW. I'll use it for my CG/Design and games! I need help!!!

Please suggest and comment!!!! I need all the help I can get, and badly since I am now on a time crunch! So, thanks in advance for all the help!!!! :)

*bump*

If nothing else, I was hoping someone would at least respond to the ram question =/

looks good. Minimum 2GB for Vista Ultimate. 4GB would be nice, but then you'd need the 64-bit version to take full advantage of all 4gb. Go with the Dell 2407fpw or the 22" samsung you mentioned.

1) Like Enginurd said, 2GB of RAM minimum and you'll need 64bit Vista in order to use 4GB of RAM.
2) Looks good to me. Go for it.

what kind of job do you have where u need your own computer and something like that?

That RAM is really overkill. 2GB of G.Skill DDR2-800 can be had for under $90 with no rebate right now, and will do fine.

Samsung LCDs are awesome -- I have a 204B I've been using for a little over a year now, and it's nice enough I don't even feel the need to go widescreen yet. If you're doing CG stuff and think the extra screen space might be useful, you could go with a 24" maybe, but of course it keeps getting more expensive.

Currently, I already have my case ThermalTake VC3000BNS

Everything looks fantastic except that case. (Personal preference.)

I've never liked the Samsung LCD's. The image quality is ok I guess but the plastic housings and stands are just crap. The bases don't seem to be good for keeping a monitor stable. Plus I have never liked the way the Samsung displays looked asthetically speaking.

I second the recommendation for the Dell 24" 2407FPW.

Back