Mermalion

Limp Gawd
I just built a new system that has the following

MSI 785gtm-e45 mobo
Athlon X2 240
8800gtx
640gb WD caviar blue
4gb G.Skill DDR2 1000mhz

I put it all together and fired it up and it runs good but my 3dmark scores seem low.

I tested 3dmark 01 and 3dmark 05

01 says I score 26,694
05 says I score around 15k

Are these scores low or are they decent?

I've been playing around with this thing for a while and have made some progress. The GPU is idling now at 58c 100% fan speed. I think this is hot just for idling but I haven't owned an 8800gtx before.

I also OC'd my processor. My processor is now sitting at 3.5ghz ( 250fsb ) and no voltage increase. 250fsb also brought my ram up to its rated speed of 1000mhz.

I ran 3dmark 01 again and scored nearly 35k. Does this mean my CPU is bottlenecking my graphics card then? Or should I test with a newer version?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Play a game and see if it is actually "low".

3DMark is not a tool for gauging video gaming performance. It's a tool for e-peen. In addition, 3DMark has ALWAYS been CPU heavy

Play a game and see if it is actually "low".

3DMark is not a tool for gauging video gaming performance. It's a tool for e-peen. In addition, 3DMark has ALWAYS been CPU heavy
^this. See how if feels in-game.

I've installed a few games and ran them and all seems good actually :D
At 1600x1200 I am able to max out COD4, BF2, Oblivion, and COH. So it seems to be performing very well. It is a big step from what I've been used to.

How far do most of the x2 240's get when oc'ing ? I haven't messed with mine too much but right now it's sitting on 265fsb which makes it 3.710ghz. It's been rock solid and I haven't had to touch the voltage.

I have seen people do 4-4.1 GHz with x2 250. 275 fsb is about the max, i believe.

4-4.1 is that with or without voltage increase. I unfortunately can't change my processor voltage with this board. I can change Ram, NB, and SB but that's it really. I think I need to get an aftermarket heatsink too because she hits about 57-58c under load at that speed. Is that too hot?

with .1v increase...

you should use aftermarket heatsink like Coolermaster hyper212 plus (with tx-3).

Last edited:
That is not a low end mobo, you should have access to vcore control. With some boards like Gigabyte you need to press ctrl-f1 to activate the advanced user interface for the bios. Maybe MSI has somthing similar.

I tried ctrl + all the F keys and none did anything. In the bios it shows the CPU voltage but I can't adjust it. I can adjust the Ram, NB, and SB though. If I could adjust the voltage I would like to undervolt it to save power and run cooler.

Back