• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New symptom, PC shuts down under load

86 5.0L

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
7,129
So I've been folding pretty much 24/7 for awhile now, and I would get some BSODs every once and a awhile nothing major, so I would up the vcore and vtt voltages up slightly everytime, until the BSODs stopped. Now I am no stranger to TJmax, I've never had a problem with staying at 100*C for extended periods of time. that was in the past though, recently I've stayed around 85-90*C, and just yesterday, I had a brownout, for a second, just enough to turn off TVs and computers, and now anytime I fold, the PC will shutdown randomly. Im thinking it could be a PSU issue?
 
So I've been folding pretty much 24/7 for awhile now, and I would get some BSODs every once and a awhile nothing major, so I would up the vcore and vtt voltages up slightly everytime, until the BSODs stopped. Now I am no stranger to TJmax, I've never had a problem with staying at 100*C for extended periods of time. that was in the past though, recently I've stayed around 85-90*C, and just yesterday, I had a brownout, for a second, just enough to turn off TVs and computers, and now anytime I fold, the PC will shutdown randomly. Im thinking it could be a PSU issue?

PSU or M/Board, Do you have a spare PSU you can test with? I've just had a similar problem on mine and i've narrowed it down to either M/Board or CPU as everything else checks out OK
 
I might have a friend lent me a Seasonic 650w I sold him awhile back...

damn, I would hate to find I fried something....
 
100C, extensive heat can cause damage to electrical parts inside so I guess you have to replace something.
 
Try folding only on your CPU or GPU and see if the problem still happens. Also try setting everything back to stock speed. If none of that helps, try running with one stick of RAM at a time.
 
have you tried resetting your bios at all? i've had this happen to me a few times with brown outs and everytime i'd reset the bios everything would work fine. worth a shot either way.
 
100C, extensive heat can cause damage to electrical parts inside so I guess you have to replace something.

100C is not totally uncommon in folding, while hot, its not excessive when it comes to these cpu's.

check your ram and clock speeds on the CPU.... thats all I can think of.
 
100C is not totally uncommon in folding, while hot, its not excessive when it comes to these cpu's.

check your ram and clock speeds on the CPU.... thats all I can think of.

holy hell 100C, that's alot of heat. *hugs watercooling* :D
 
Yeah, thats about 2.2x what I see. I didn't realize there were some hardcore people out there pushing their hardware that hard.
 
#1.. brownout. That is why all my rigs are running under full time UPS's. No chance to fry my boards, running 24/7 for about 8 years now.

#2.. temps. I never run my stuff over 75C or so. May have a lot of fans turning and the hum is heard but... my machines haven't died in say... 8 years or so...

Coincidence? I think not.
 
I went ahead and replaced the old factory shin etsu with fresh IC Diamond.

100C, extensive heat can cause damage to electrical parts inside so I guess you have to replace something.

the side panel is off and I cut up the tricools and used them as shrouds and for fans I used medium speed yate loons, the GPU never goes over 60*C, so its just the CPU hitting 100*C

img0966mx.jpg

img0968w.jpg


Try folding only on your CPU or GPU and see if the problem still happens. Also try setting everything back to stock speed. If none of that helps, try running with one stick of RAM at a time.

Will try this, I dropped everything to stock speeds

have you tried resetting your bios at all? i've had this happen to me a few times with brown outs and everytime i'd reset the bios everything would work fine. worth a shot either way.

Cleared CMOS

Yeah, thats about 2.2x what I see. I didn't realize there were some hardcore people out there pushing their hardware that hard.

:D

#1.. brownout. That is why all my rigs are running under full time UPS's. No chance to fry my boards, running 24/7 for about 8 years now.

#2.. temps. I never run my stuff over 75C or so. May have a lot of fans turning and the hum is heard but... my machines haven't died in say... 8 years or so...

Coincidence? I think not.

I've been folding almost 2 years with this mobo/cpu, no problems, hopefully its just a bios issue. :p
 
Wait wait wait wait....

You have a H50 and a i7 920 and your hitting 100C

Now I know somethings up! Theres no way you should be running that hot, so either the pump in the H50 is failing, or you have a short on the board!
 
Actually, at 4.2ghz, with enough vcore, I wouldn't be surprised to see 100c on a 920.
 
UPDATE: so far at stock settings and CPU folding ONLY, its been stable, will add GPU today and see where that goes.

Wait wait wait wait....

You have a H50 and a i7 920 and your hitting 100C

Now I know somethings up! Theres no way you should be running that hot, so either the pump in the H50 is failing, or you have a short on the board!

@4.0, and 1.35v it stays under 80*C, @ 4.2 and 1.39v and +0.4 vtt, it hovers around 90*C, now with dust buildup, 100*C is very possible :eek:

good thing I just bought a 480mm radiator to finish my WC project :p
 
Geesh I had an I7-920 here running at 4ghz @ 1.36v and it never ran over 65C on air! Guess I won't go with the water route...

Now have a 970 running on the same system at 1.37 volts and she is at 64C max on air. Hyper 212+ with two fans now. The 920 I was only running one fan.
 
well something is fried, I cleared the cmos, ran at stock settings without a hitch, OC'd it back to 4.2GHz(new settings, not loading an old profile). and it shutdown again.
 
I would start with the PSU. It is the main thing affected by the brown out.

It also happens to be one of the easiest to verify or rule out.
 
well it froze at stock settings and while gaming...

so RMA here I come(already have a RMA number from Antec)
 
Defenitly sounds like mobo or PSU.

if you can, I would RMA both to be safe.
 
I was having some stability issues last summer when i was at max OC and it turned out my NB was running a touch too hot, so i backed it down a little in voltage and cpu speed and put a fan over it and I've been rock solid ever since. Might be something easy to try first instead of going the rma route.
 
Well I dropped down to stock settings and it froze will gaming, I had the case open without panels and the A/C window unit hitting it almost directly so I sure I didn't have any overheating issues. Went ahead and RMA'd it, this is a good reason ( and my birthday is soon) to upgrade to a kilowatt PSU :D
 
Back
Top