New Storage Array

you realize thats 5400 dollars a year in electricity? I'm interested to hear how many people live there cause that's just beyond ridiculous. To each his own I guess but erm...k

Captboom said:
I have 6 pc's i use to play "Everquest" 1 is my main pc

Come on! What do you really do with all those machines? :rolleyes:

I have six myself plus a laptop and use all of them for work. 5 are servers (cache server, database server, application servers) and the one in my sig is my development workstation/gaming machine.

whahhh whaaahhh whahhhhh

Yes the electric bill sucks

I have a total of 2 roomates atm and a 3rd moving in soon.

You would be suprised how much each individual computer uses in power.

Plus not all of the computers are on all of the time.

Usualy only 1 pc 1 mac and 2 servers are on at any given time.

One of the driving factors of the storage servers is that we want to consolidate

With this we don't need 4 servers hosting data we just need 2

I would rather have 2 760 watt powersupplys running then 4 to 6 300 watt ones

I'm surprised no one has asked what you do for a living yet.

And to the person who commented on it being 5400$ a year in electricity, do you realize it's nearly 10,000$ in servers and he is considering another two servers in six months? The electricity bill is just a fringe cost for his price of computing.

I'm looking forward to more pictures. How are you racking it all?

Yeah I agree with that, but cmon...5400 a year? That's a bit excessive eh?

you have to be living somewhere up north. its too hot down south

unhappy_mage said:
and now, the question nobody has asked yet....

folding? :D :D

I knew it was coming though. I almost asked it my self, lol.

I'd bet he doesn't...

Night0wl said:
I knew it was coming though. I almost asked it my self, lol.

I'd bet he doesn't...

Correct!!

Well as one of his roommates I can answer for him.
No Folding and no Distributed Computing of any kind.
Just Everquest.
And we do live in the South.

^ your sig is gonna get owned.

(22) No active links, graphics, cussing or advertising allowed in the SIGNATURE. Sig line is limited to 10 lines total as viewed @ 800 x 600 resolution or no more that 15 words per line.

We have 1 full height rack on casters.

When the rest of the parts arrive on friday i will take pics of them first

Then the rack is going to be dissambled and painted

We are going with a black/green color

We are still looking for someone to do some airbrush work.

We need some borg graphics on the case as well as borg text much like what you saw in the pictures.

DM2K and AFTERSH0CK managed to find some circular device that displays lightning on it i havn't figured out how it does that but they will be mounted on the sides much like a borg alcove unit.

We are also looking into magnetic locks for the front door and a keypad on the side to unlock it branded with borg alpha numerics.

This keycode will be backed up with a retnial scanner that will be stealthed into the rack to only be deployed when successful code is entered.

Hope that wets your whistle

More pictures are coming patience please :) Unfortunatly to get this stuff requires a nasty full time job when i would much rather be home gameing

Captboom

Update: Due to Retarded shipping problems and lame customer service. ( I will not name who screwed up except that it was the part distributor and not the shipper ) Only some of the parts for Phase 1 have come in. The rest, so we are told, should come in later this week.

(Personal Note: Project Borg was the name chozen by Captainboom, so please do not blame me if you hate it.)
Pictures will be coming on Saturday. As this is a long project we will try our best to keep you updated because I know I like to hear about projects that HardOCPers do.

We have a long way to go before the project is done and all the parts have been assimilated. Any suggestions or helpful comments are welcome. We are still looking for some of the parts we will require to finish, but we do take charity and donations.

On a side note. If any one has any contacts with any one affiliated with Paramount or StarTrek.com or any of the TV Series we would like input and feedback to make this project the best looking and as authentic as we can make it.

Well to let off some steam for me I thought I would give everybody some pics to dream about or hate or run away in fear. However you deal with it, enjoy.

Well here are 15 of the Hard Drives so far. Enough for one of the Storage Units we have named Unimatrix 01.

IMG_0615b.jpg

The second 3ware card came in also so here is a pic of it next to the first one.

IMG_0616b.jpg

And for the fun of it we spread them all out to honor Hard OCP.

IMG_0613b.jpg

That may not be the best, but who cares that is 3750 GB of storage. (before formatting and RAID 5 of course)

More Pics and stuff coming as soon as we can give it too you.

Nice, if that was SCSI I would have messed myself but that's still [H]

QHalo said:
Nice, if that was SCSI I would have messed myself but that's still [H]

If that was SCSI you would need ALOT more drives to get 3750GB and ALOT more cash.

I bet with those 3ware cards and RAID5 those drives will be PLENTY fast enough for HOME use across a few users.

I currently have 23 disks in my fileserver, but it's an *old*
system, so it doesn't amount to very much.
scsi2 - 3 drives
scsi3 - 4 drives
fc - 16 drives
The nicest thing about it is the FC storage array lets me
power drives on & off easily through software. So I have a
bunch of disks that get spun up, backed up to, and spun down
once a week by the system. I also have four disks striped together
that's my extra "work" space, that I just bring online when
I need the extra space.
The fileserver also has 2 CPUs, though it can take 8.
I got it for $15. Original list price, roughly $70,000.

m1abram said:
If that was SCSI you would need ALOT more drives to get 3750GB and ALOT more cash.

I bet with those 3ware cards and RAID5 those drives will be PLENTY fast enough for HOME use across a few users.
Trust me, I know how much SCSI costs and what the drive sizes are..I was just making a comment.

I would have needed double the number of hardrives to equal that capacity.

Plus The cost would have almost quaddroupled versus the sata.

The Sata drives offer excellent performance

And at most i am only ever going to have 5 to 10 people on it at any given time.

I honestly don't think 30 people could saturate it to the point of unusable performance.

thoughts?

Tom

Captboom said:
I would have needed double the number of hardrives to equal that capacity.

Plus The cost would have almost quaddroupled versus the sata.

The Sata drives offer excellent performance

And at most i am only ever going to have 5 to 10 people on it at any given time.

I honestly don't think 30 people could saturate it to the point of unusable performance.

thoughts?

Tom
Do people read? All I said was that if that was SCSI I would be impressed but just how hard is it to spend that kind of cash on SATA? That much space in SATA is definitely [H], but all I was saying was that SCSI would be [H]'er. Yeah it costs more money, yada yada yada, but damn would it be sick. It was an observation, not a recommendation.

good luck and let the thread go on!

What excatly do you need all that for, and where are you getting all this money ie what do you do?

Pretty sweet setup tho.

copeland3300 said:
What excatly do you need all that for, and where are you getting all this money ie what do you do?

Pretty sweet setup tho.

Read the thread... :-\

As for what it's for--they have a massive collection of media.

As for what they do, no one's ever mentioned that, but someone mentioned a full time job. Could have bought all sorts of arrays if they'd chucked that cash in the google ipo :)

I'm not a hater though, good job guys.

I hope you're planning on using gigabit!!

EDIT: Since this IS an array...and you guys ARE trying to be true to Trek...and it IS taking care of all your data needs, wouldn't it be more appropriate to name it after the infamous array in the pilot of Voyager? The Caretaker?

If you're really into calling it something that's all Borgy consider "Vinculum" or "Central Plexus"-- those are things that store important stuff too.

Well to be a Borg Theme everthing needs to have a Borg name and although the "Caretaker" was an array it does not fit into that theme.

And Yes Both Storage systems have gigbit on the motherboard. To Go with the Gigabit Network we have in the house. One of the side projects that is going along with Project Borg is a clean up of our current network set up. It is messy but works great.

Here is a Pic:

IMG_0617b.jpg

After we get the rest of the [H]ardware for the storage servers we will first build them and
post pics of them.

Phase 1: Build Unimatrix 01 (Still figuring out Which Linux to put on it, and what file system)

Phase 2: Tear down Current Rack and strip it down & clean it up for painting & Moding.

Phase 3: Still under dicussion.

Phase 4: Yada Yada Yada

As I mentioned before, this is a work in progress. Right now we have more ideas then solutions.
And we are still looking for someone who does good air brush work in the Central Texas Area.

You misunderstood my friend-- My Caretaker comment was referring to a general Trek theme...i made no correlation with it having to do w/ the Borg at all. I just figured the Caretaker had himself a big fat huge powerful array.......and soon so will you.

Are all y'all IT pros?

I almost creamed my pants seeing all those drives......
Only if I also didn't buy car and anime stuff I might be able to save up enough for something like that :(

-Robert

IMHO I think thats a tad bit unneccesary--what do you do for a living?!?
6 computers?, what do you use all of those for?
But hey... I guess if you have the time, and the money (which I see you do) go for it ;)

mastrcronX said:
IMHO I think thats a tad bit unneccesary--what do you do for a living?!?
6 computers?, what do you use all of those for?
But hey... I guess if you have the time, and the money (which I see you do) go for it ;)

Um I am solo, well have a wife but she does very little with computers, and I have 8 operational computers. The slowest PC is an Athlon 550, however I do have some very old Sparcs that are running.

I run my own mail and web servers from home, have a music server to support my Squeezebox.

Other services run by my various machines:
ntp server
file server
log server
ldap server
dhcpd
firewall
nagios
and a few others

No need to hate: I think mastrcronX is just a little bewildered at the size and expense of the poject. It's a bit much to spend for most, no matter what type of money you're making, I think we'd all agree.

but we're here to celebrate this [H] project, and lend any kind of help we can, so it's all good!

dwayne001 said:
No need to hate: I think mastrcronX is just a little bewildered at the size and expense of the poject. It's a bit much to spend for most, no matter what type of money you're making, I think we'd all agree.

but we're here to celebrate this [H] project, and lend any kind of help we can, so it's all good!

Well IMHO I do not think it is excessive IF you make the money and have the DATA to store on such a device. If you have a large media collection have a central loaction that you can easily access throughout the house with simple ease and searchable is GREAT, plus have a backup scheme to also protect that invest.

I do this with audio currently which is much easier cause even with lossless FLAC encoding I do not require TB of storage. However I will soon be moving into doing this with my collection of DVDs soon.

hehe i'm being a pr0n freak. but can you post more pix of your setup? :D

slk32 said:
hehe i'm being a pr0n freak. but can you post more pix of your setup? :D

OK, here are a few of where Project Borg will go. The rest of our stuff is a little to messy at the moment so I will post those later.

IMG_0618b.jpg

IMG_0619b.jpg

Wow I'm pretty damn speechless... So you better hook me up with ftp acess....

Are you going to rack your email and storage boxes? Rack is :cool:

Here's a bad shot of my own rack setup, not to degrade from the thread I hope

rack-kinda.jpg

Night0wl said:
Are you going to rack your email and storage boxes? Rack is :cool:

Here's a bad shot of my own rack setup, not to degrade from the thread I hope

Racking is a Yes.
Our Network mess is going to put on its own rack and not shelved like it currently is.
Our current storage and email servers will be rebuilt and moved to the Borg home sometime after is has been rebuilt.

NOTE: During recent cleaning of the upstairs we found alot of hardware that we will be selling on Ebay shortly. When that times comes I will post something in the For Sale / Trade forum.

Very nice. You'll have to let us know which linux you decide on. Personaly I'd look into BSD but linux would run it great.

what tape backup software are you using?

also any pix of routers?

shweet setup

Back