New speakers

Dewolff

n00b
I recently bought an Asus Xonar DX and I must say that I´m impressed with the sound so far.
However I´m still using a Logitech X-530 5.1 set.

The room in which my computer is situated is rather small so I think a 2.1 is more than adequate. I will be using the speakers for both gaming and music (rock/jazz). My budget is about 200 euros or 250 dollars.

I have done some research and found this:

Klipsch Promedia
Almost everybody seems to drool all over them, however I live in The Netherlands, and I can't find a retailer.

Swan M10
Oh-My-God, the white version is beautiful. Most reviews are positive, however there are some people who say it randomly picks up radiochannels and it makes a weird humming noise.

Microlab 6c/7c
Once again mostly positive review but there are zero retailers.

M-Audio AV40
The reviews are mixed about these.

Audioengine A2
These are quite expensive, and in general people don't think they are worth it.

Logitech
Everybody hates Logitech.

what would you suggest me to buy? And of course it doesn't have to be one from this list I made.

everyone is entitled to there own view point... but there are in my view plenty of decent bookshelf speakers to by had in your price range.

however since I am in American I'm not super sure about availability / pricing in your country

but something if you can order from Amazon UK

then for example these Yamaha Speakers would be 93~ish euro (then you'd need speaker wire and the T-amp)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-Musi...1377881814&sr=8-5&keywords=bookshelf+speakers

or say these (i guess about 147 euros)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAMB-S-30-C...F8&qid=1377882256&sr=8-44&keywords=wharfedale

Wharedale Diamond 10.1 might well be doable in your budget

I have a thing for used / vintage stereo gear so right now I'm using a pair of JBL bookshelf speakers (J2050) that look nearly brand new I got for $40 and a similarly excellent condition Kenwood KR-V106R 100WPC receiver w/ my pc.... sound excellent and cost $60 (well and plus the cost of speaker wire) but very nice sound for the monies...

if you have the patience / luck you might be able to find some nice stuff used for little money as opposed to what new gear costs.

but t-amp + bookshelf (new or used bookshelf's) very nice option as well

T-amp recommendations

I have a SMSL SA-S3 that I have had for nearly two years it is very good and I have no problem recommending it (paid $60~ shipped for mine w/ power supply)

also the Topping TP30 MKII is very good

one other option for you to consider is if there is a music instrument store near you ..... you might consider going in there and listening to some studio monitors

I have heard some studio monitors that make very nice pc speakers (i like Tannoy reveal series for this for example)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Pioneer SP22 - $100
T-amp (read some reviews) - $50
Subwoofer, maybe Dayton 1000 - $100

Whoa you went hard core and tried to build a whole set for 250 bucks? :eek:

250 bucks for a single bookshelf speaker might land you a beginner level product on commercial side.

DIY can give you much much more value for money. But it takes a lot of research to find the right instructions - there are DIY and there are DIY. I would only trust on the DIY instructions which provide audio measurements of a sample product. This is the only way to tell that the author actually knows what he's doing.

Real time analyzers are getting cheap to get these days, all it takes basically is a calibrated microphone and some software. Any self respecting speaker builder will have that as a minimum and will post measurement results with his build instructions.

Whoa you went hard core and tried to build a whole set for 250 bucks? :eek:

250 bucks for a single bookshelf speaker might land you a beginner level product on commercial side.

DIY can give you much much more value for money. But it takes a lot of research to find the right instructions - there are DIY and there are DIY. I would only trust on the DIY instructions which provide audio measurements of a sample product. This is the only way to tell that the author actually knows what he's doing.

Real time analyzers are getting cheap to get these days, all it takes basically is a calibrated microphone and some software. Any self respecting speaker builder will have that as a minimum and will post measurement results with his build instructions.

Have you herd the above combo? I'll admit to not hearing the sub. But you'll find for the extreme entry level, those Pioneers and a T-amp can hang with things way beyond their price point.

No DIY needed, plug and play.

Have a google, look at the FR. Listen to a set.

Have you herd the above combo? I'll admit to not hearing the sub. But you'll find for the extreme entry level, those Pioneers and a T-amp can hang with things way beyond their price point.

No DIY needed, plug and play.

Have a google, look at the FR. Listen to a set.

Well according to reviews those seem to be a really good value for money. Definately interesting. A combination of Pioneer brand and sub 1000 bucks I wouldn't give these a time of day normally but I'll definately have a listen on a pair when I get a chance.

Personally I have no need for a pair of that size or price range (or method of operation for that matter as I'm an ESL nut) but I'll definately check them for future reference.

Well if the OP is going DIY, he better either get a kit or use a proven design. Even with good components, you design the crossover wrong and you can get a disaster. I am not even worthy of being considered a noob in DIY but even I know that much. If B00nie can suggest some good designs available in the public domain, the OP may be able to ensure he has a good design to work with. The one that pops into my mind at this time is the Natalie Portmans or the Nat-Ps for short (I have no idea why people named it after a famous actress). Modula MTM is the other one I can think of. The only thing is these are both MTM designs so are a bit tall for PC speakers unless you are doing to distance them a bit away from your workstation. I can't remember a good Bookshelf DIY design around $250.

Edit: Come to think of it, I think the Nat-Ps and the Modula MTMs are basically the same thing. Also I think there was a Modula MT design for a bookshelf speaker so that may be one possibility.

Edit2: OK looking around the web, I found this site talking about a few designs. I think the Overnight Sensations are also a low budget DIY build that has a decent reputation.
https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy-gettingstarted

Last edited:
Well if the OP is going DIY, he better either get a kit or use a proven design. Even with good components, you design the crossover wrong and you can get a disaster. I am not even worthy of being considered a noob in DIY but even I know that much. If B00nie can suggest some good designs available in the public domain, the OP may be able to ensure he has a good design to work with. The one that pops into my mind at this time is the Natalie Portmans or the Nat-Ps for short (I have no idea why people named it after a famous actress). Modula MTM is the other one I can think of. The only thing is these are both MTM designs so are a bit tall for PC speakers unless you are doing to distance them a bit away from your workstation. I can't remember a good Bookshelf DIY design around $250.

Edit: Come to think of it, I think the Nat-Ps and the Modula MTMs are basically the same thing. Also I think there was a Modula MT design for a bookshelf speaker so that may be one possibility.

Edit2: OK looking around the web, I found this site talking about a few designs. I think the Overnight Sensations are also a low budget DIY build that has a decent reputation.
https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy-gettingstarted

Yes ready kits / instructions are definately the way to go untill you get serious with DIY. 99% of people never do.

I don't know any sources from his country but usually hi-fi shops have a catalog of DIY sets for offer. Sometimes they're very high quality, sometimes the designs seem questionable to me. One should start with the simple 2-way box usually - for 3 way the enclosure build and the crossover is much easyer to get wrong.

Dayton BR-1 (self assembly and soldering required) and a higher powered T-amp will do great (I prefer 50w/channel but 25w will do)

Love my m-audio av40's! Was a night and day difference from my old logitech speakers.

Bose makes some pretty descent computer speakers. Don't rule them out because of price. The hardware is superb.

Bose makes some pretty descent computer speakers. Don't rule them out because of price. The hardware is superb.

This is probably a discussion you should avoid.
Bose are not a quality audio manufacturer.
You pay above the odds for the quality you get and the quality doesnt extend very far.

This is probably a discussion you should avoid.
Bose are not a quality audio manufacturer.
You pay above the odds for the quality you get and the quality doesnt extend very far.

I have to agree. If space is a big factor, as well as aesthetics, then Bose sets aren't a horrid choice. But, if performance is the primary reason for buying speakers, then I'd suggest choosing something else.

Back