New SimCity

SicKlown42012

2[H]4U
Just got through reading at Kotaku and found something that raised my hopes. EA is preparing a new SimCity for 2012. But as I actually read the article, I fell into despair. They are turning one of the greatest PC franchises into a Facebook game. First they tarnished it's legacy with that atrociousness SimCity Societies, and now this. I've been patient with EA over the years(even after they killed C&C), but now, fuck 'em.
http://ca.kotaku.com/5806136/simcity-is-coming-back-but-you-may-not-like-how

Now I'm off to SimCity 4 to mayor Spankitivlle....

Even if they did make a new 'real' SimCity they'd probably end up locking it down so you couldn't mod it, the major reason SC4 is still alive with an active community today. Seems that some games are just never going to get the proper sequels they deserve. Makes me want to go salvage an old computer with a Voodoo2 just to relive the good days.

Not surprising.
Even if you've listened to Will Wright lately he's big into social gaming and all that entails; and Facebook is where everyone is at right now.
I would be somewhat surprised if Will Wright and Maxis went back to a deep city builder like Sim City 4; it just seems like they've moved on. Spore, the more recent Sims sequels, they have really been playgrounds more than simulators.

Meh. I enjoyed simcity societies on my cell phone. It was probably one of the best cell phones games I played on an older cell phone. If they bring an experience like simcity classic or simtower to facebook, it'll be the "first" facebook game I ever play.

Yeah the social aspect is trumping the simulation aspect these days, I'd love to see something like SimCity 4 remade with more complexity but that's not going to happen :}

Thread title got my hopes up, should have known better. Oh well, at least SimCity 4 is still good.

Even if they did make a new 'real' SimCity they'd probably end up locking it down so you couldn't mod it, the major reason SC4 is still alive with an active community today. Seems that some games are just never going to get the proper sequels they deserve. Makes me want to go salvage an old computer with a Voodoo2 just to relive the good days.

Um, SimCity didn't get a proper sequel? I'm not sure how you could think SC4 deserves a "sequel", considering it's the 4th in a series.

Fuck Facebook and fuck this whole mobile gaming/social gaming crap. I don't want to play shitty games on mobile phones or portables using a touch screen. I'm so tired of this "dumbed-down" method of gameplay these developers and publishers keep trying to push on us.

I know, I know...it's all about profits. Well guess what? There are metric ass-ton of us who want a proper Sim City 5 (on the PC, not some phone). We are ready to throw tons of cash your way EA. Give is a good reason to for God's sake.

/rant

I've never played SimCity 4, but I have played a lot of SimCity 2000 back in the day.

I'm gonna find a copy of SimCity 4 and create Failville

I know, I know...it's all about profits. Well guess what? There are metric ass-ton of us who want a proper Sim City 5 (on the PC, not some phone). We are ready to throw tons of cash your way EA. Give is a good reason to for God's sake.

/rant

If EA hasn't done a cost / benefit on a real sim city 5, they'd be fools. It was the signature franchise of Maxis when the bought them.
And that fact that we've seen Sim City Societies, Sims 3 and Sims Medieval, and Spore and it's expansions, and now they're looking at a Facebook game should tell you how well that analysis turns out for us.
We may be vocal, but we're an awfully small minority.

If EA hasn't done a cost / benefit on a real sim city 5, they'd be fools. It was the signature franchise of Maxis when the bought them.
And that fact that we've seen Sim City Societies, Sims 3 and Sims Medieval, and Spore and it's expansions, and now they're looking at a Facebook game should tell you how well that analysis turns out for us.
We may be vocal, but we're an awfully small minority.

To be fair, you have a great point, however, what they are doing is part of EA's broader strategy to stream out their games across as many mediums as possible, and that's not limited to only computer or consoles, that includes phone, Facebook, other forms of social media, they are doing this with ALL their games.

Fuck Facebook and fuck this whole mobile gaming/social gaming crap. I don't want to play shitty games on mobile phones or portables using a touch screen. I'm so tired of this "dumbed-down" method of gameplay these developers and publishers keep trying to push on us.

/rant

Tons of cash isn't enough now, not when there are literally armies of casual gamers who can generate many times the kind of profit that actually hobbyist gamers can.

There's a reason that Zynga are worth more than EA.

PC's and games were synonymous, then gaming took a step down with consoles, and yet we're devolving once again with Facebook. What's next? My kids are going to regard Farmville as classic gaming. FFS.

PC's and games were synonymous, then gaming took a step down with consoles, and yet we're devolving once again with Facebook. What's next? My kids are going to regard Farmville as classic gaming. FFS.

They will devolve again with games that include phones/tablets as part of the multiplatform design.

Its a trend these days to fuck around with great franchise from the past.

This is way more insulting to the original franchise than Brother In Arms Furious 4, taking a great PC game franchise and turn it into a Facebook game. Couldn't get any lower than that.

I'd buy the crap outa SC5 if they stuck to the design. $49 opening day.

I'd buy the crap outa SC5 if they stuck to the design. $49 opening day.

I would pay $100 day one for an upgraded moddable SC5. I rebaught SC4 a few months ago just to have it on steam. I still play SC2K now and again when I'm feeling nostalgic. SC3K was kind of crap but I still played a ton of it. I used to build custom SC2K cities just to import them into Sim Copter and Sim Driver or whatever it was called.

That does it, I'm dusting off SC4 tonight and reinstalling it. After playing through Tropico 3 I was thinking about it, but this thread just gave me the shove I needed to get back into the play.

Sad to see though that devs are just going for every bubble they can instead of sticking to what the player base actually wants.

Simcity 4 has been a constant companion for me. I have had the same city going for 6 years now. 2.1 million people. It still does not get old. The last simcity game (societes) was aweful. Sucks that it will be facebook only....

The orig designers left the series a long time ago...

What's with people these days and ruining good stuff?

America used to be about ingenuity and creativity, it's true. But a lot of stuff we get nowadays is just trying to cash-in on what's hot or trendy.

Count me out on this. Like many others I used to play the crap out of Sim games. I even played SimFarm.

I would pay $100 day one for an upgraded moddable SC5. I rebaught SC4 a few months ago just to have it on steam. I still play SC2K now and again when I'm feeling nostalgic. SC3K was kind of crap but I still played a ton of it. I used to build custom SC2K cities just to import them into Sim Copter and Sim Driver or whatever it was called.

LOL - I'd prolly pay $100 too.

And I rebought SC4 on Steam too. It's a keeper and I'm done jackin' with CDs/DVDs.

Problem is I think that SC5 would be just a wreck. It would not be true to the core city building. I think most of us are in agreement that we basically just want a 2011 version of SC4 on steroids for the most part. Some killer graphics with insane detail and scaling with huge maps, but still about city building, not necessarily the Sims type of stuff. I don't really WANT to know anybody in my city that well, I just want to waste 6 months building an enormous, kickass, balanced megalopolis.

Well I wonder if EA would do it like they did C&C...
only runs at 800x600, cant zoom out, and you can have a maximum of 20 buildings.

Fairly certain I saw my copy of Sim City 2000 on 3.5" floppy disks around the house a few weeks ago when looking for my box of misc. computer parts. Many many great hours playing. Favorite times were turning on all the disasters at once after getting a fairly large city built up, of course only after saving.

Has anybody gotten SC4 to work well on Win7 x64 w/ a multi core CPU and a modern GPU?

Hah, well my GPU isn't that modern anymore but y'all know what I mean. :p

Has anybody gotten SC4 to work well on Win7 x64 w/ a multi core CPU and a modern GPU?

Works perfectly under my rig (Specs in sig) I just disable SLI and it works like a charm.

Yes works on my Win7 x64 with a GTX570. However its only single threaded. Which hurts the game. So a cpu with multiple cores isnt going to do you any good.

Just got through reading at Kotaku and found something that raised my hopes. EA is preparing a new SimCity for 2012. But as I actually read the article, I fell into despair. They are turning one of the greatest PC franchises into a Facebook game. First they tarnished it's legacy with that atrociousness SimCity Societies, and now this. I've been patient with EA over the years(even after they killed C&C), but now, fuck 'em.
http://ca.kotaku.com/5806136/simcity-is-coming-back-but-you-may-not-like-how

Now I'm off to SimCity 4 to mayor Spankitivlle....

thanks a lot for getting my hopes up for a new simcity game then sticking a fork in my heart and twisting it til it exploded!!! :p lol

oh well i guess i'll just keep playing simcity 4.

I'd be happy if they just updated SC4 and made it stable, decent looking, and smooth performance-wise. Amazing game, and I bet it would sell like there's no tomorrow if they put out a standalone game.

There is no way in hell I'm playing a facebook version.

I've gotten it running - the steam forums have a good thread filled with the various switches allowing widescreen resolutions, setting the affinity to one core, 32 bit color, and software rendering. This is to make it both playable and as stable as possible, though I will warn that even on my last machine (Q9450 with a GTX 285) performance was pretty poor, and I was still struggling with overall stability. It would be great if someone could put out some kind of fan patch, like they did for Oblivion and Titan's Quest. I kinda feel like that would be good enough, at least for the time being, to satisfy my craving for more Sim City.

There is no way in hell I'm playing a facebook version.

no kidding. Same here.

I don't mind that some games incorporate facebook into either the scoring/leaderboards or multiplayer, but I hate that many seem to require you to sign into a facebook account to even try it out (especially true for smart phone apps/games)

If the new SC make it optional, I have no probem with it... but if a facebook account is required, I'll pass.

I've gotten it running - the steam forums have a good thread filled with the various switches allowing widescreen resolutions, setting the affinity to one core, 32 bit color, and software rendering. This is to make it both playable and as stable as possible, though I will warn that even on my last machine (Q9450 with a GTX 285) performance was pretty poor, and I was still struggling with overall stability. It would be great if someone could put out some kind of fan patch, like they did for Oblivion and Titan's Quest. I kinda feel like that would be good enough, at least for the time being, to satisfy my craving for more Sim City.
Thanks for the advice (and to everyone else as well). I wonder if that's applicable to the CD versions...I believe I actually have my retail copies of both SC4 and Rush Hour on disc. Will have to give that a shot.

Back