New Silverstone FT02

perhaps i'm missing something, or over complicating it...is only one of the brackets intended to actually screw down to the 180mm fans? i guess then it would work.

radbrackets.jpg

radbrackets-b.jpg

You need to spin the lower adapter piece on the top picture 180 and then you'll be set. That's the best I can explain, but it clearly works from your pic and in my case. (unless I am confused.)

would you mind taking a photo? i. don't. get.

Cause I explained it wrong. You need to take the top adpter piece in the top picture and rotate it around that way the lower screw holes are toward the outside on both. Hopefully it works, looked fine in my case, but didn't remove fan cover, went off of your pic. Hopefully I'm not talking out my ass, I was half asleep earlier after two long 18 hour shifts the past two days.

Cause I explained it wrong. You need to take the top adpter piece in the top picture and rotate it around that way the lower screw holes are toward the outside on both. Hopefully it works, looked fine in my case, but didn't remove fan cover, went off of your pic. Hopefully I'm not talking out my ass, I was half asleep earlier after two long 18 hour shifts the past two days.

lol, thanks for making me think I was wrong, but it still doesn't work. I guess those brackets are for a bigger rad.

so...while i could drill new holes on the brackets and securely mount the h50 radiator, it's still gonna be pretty far from the fan with huge gaps. instead, i'm going to get on that adapter. i'll update when i have some idea what it will cost (anyone have a cnc?) to make, and how long it will take to get 'em.

4. This is the most important question which of those 2 cases has the BEST cooling of the two ? As I need a case that will cool my 2x GTX 480 really really well as they get very hot.

I think both cases are virtually identical internally besides the hard drive bay orientation.
The GTX 400 series are just screaming out for water and a thermonuclear power supply, I would be interested in the temps you get if you manage to squeeze two of them into this case.

i requested a bunch of quotes today, among them an "instant quote" where i submitted an stl, picked material, finish, and quantity...and they want $95 bucks per (for 10). sheesh. i think that's probably a bit high, but i doubt any of the other quotes i requested will come in under about $75 per.

time for plan b, i think.

Anyone have the 180mm fans attached to the motherboard fan headers???

If so can you use speed fan to reliably read and change speeds? I am waiting for my mobo t arrive, so don't know how noisey they are on high, but would prefer to contol the 180's via the MB fan controls. Any thoughts, ides, experiences???

The 180's are very quiet on high imo. Of course this is coming from someone who owned a 902 before this lol.

The 180's are very quiet on high imo. Of course this is coming from someone who owned a 902 before this lol.

You think that is bad I currently own an Aspire (new name Apevia). The case and 500W pawer supply cost me $49, $39 after MIR. Everyone I talk to is shocked that the power supply is still running 4 and 1/2 years later, especially considering it has been pushing an Opteron 165 to 2.70 GHz the whole time.

Just picked one of these up to replace my Temjin TJ09.

Was a bit dubious at first with all the plastic, but now that its built I love it.

Currently priming with i7 920 D0 at 4.0ghz temps have stabilised around 70degrees, and it's extremely quiet.

I have come from a TJ09 fully stocked out with Noctua fans and this blows it away in terms of acoustics and performance.

I have swapped out the exhaust for a Noctua p12 with low noise adapter.
Running Cogage arrow with 2x140mm Noctuas.
Intake fans set to low speed.

The rest of the system is that quiet that I am now able to hear the fan in my Enermax revolution PSU!

Just picked one of these up to replace my Temjin TJ09.

Was a bit dubious at first with all the plastic, but now that its built I love it.

Currently priming with i7 920 D0 at 4.0ghz temps have stabilised around 70degrees, and it's extremely quiet.

I have come from a TJ09 fully stocked out with Noctua fans and this blows it away in terms of acoustics and performance.

I have swapped out the exhaust for a Noctua p12 with low noise adapter.
Running Cogage arrow with 2x140mm Noctuas.
Intake fans set to low speed.

The rest of the system is that quiet that I am now able to hear the fan in my Enermax revolution PSU!
Time to upgrade that PSU. ;)

yeah...it's a nice case for aircooling. Temps are comparable to the HAF without all the front intake fans and ventilated front. It may not be the best for aircooling overall, but it has great balance of being very quiet/not looking like a case from outer-space/not having a ventilated front that gets very dusty.

Still will probably get the PC-X900 once it's out. FT02 is just a little plain looking...but it's a great case. One thing that is good about it is Silverstone went away from using flimsy side panels on it. The side panels on it are now steel and solid, which I like. The aluminum unibody frame is extremely solid just like on the FT01.

All it really needs is just a little more space behind the motherboard tray for cable management. But I haven't went through a case where I didn't feel that. Even felt that the HAF 932 and 800D could have used more space.

Last edited:
lol, what would you suggest as a replacement for an enermax 1050watt?
the next step up :p enermax 1250 watt, thats what I have right now (Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250w to be specific)
EDIT: and an FT02 ofcourse

Last edited:
the next step up :p enermax 1250 watt, thats what I have right now (Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250w to be specific)
EDIT: and an FT02 ofcourse

I think he wants quiet, just get a Seasonic X750 and be done with it.

Sorry to ask this again, but really loking for an answer before I begin my build on Thursday:

If so can you use speed fan to reliably read and change speeds? I am waiting for my mobo t arrive, so don't know how noisey they are on high, but would prefer to contol the 180's via the MB fan controls. Any thoughts, ides, experiences???

I don't know if connecting them to fan headers would work well, because they have two separate connectors (Speed switch and power). I initially tried them hooked up to my fan controller, and @ 80% they'd spin all messed up (very slow). That being said, they are VERY quiet on high!
I have some new fans on for my H50 coming in tomorrow, so I'll try the MB headers with a 180mm and let you know how well it works.

Sorry to ask this again, but really loking for an answer before I begin my build on Thursday:

Got mine attached to mobo fan headers and switch set to low setting.
Not tried controlling them using any software.

You already have a few answers to this now, but I wanted to add that the 3pin power cables for the 180mm fans are really not that long; depending on where the headers are, they may not reach without using extension cables. Just an FYI...if you're still buying parts you may want to pick up a few 12-18" 3pin fan extension cables just in case. This is especially true if you're trying to hide wires...the 3pins are probably about a foot long if that, like a standard fan I suppose. But cable management wise once you start running them around trying to hide things, they become real short real fast. :)

You already have a few answers to this now, but I wanted to add that the 3pin power cables for the 180mm fans are really not that long; depending on where the headers are, they may not reach without using extension cables. Just an FYI...if you're still buying parts you may want to pick up a few 12-18" 3pin fan extension cables just in case. This is especially true if you're trying to hide wires...the 3pins are probably about a foot long if that, like a standard fan I suppose. But cable management wise once you start running them around trying to hide things, they become real short real fast. :)

Thanks for the tip. Haven't bought any extension cords yet. How are the NZXT black individually wrapped ones?

Do the fan headers work to control the speed for you?

Hoping to build this bad boy on Thursday, then do some modding of the case and maybe a cpu & HSF lapping before finalizing it late next week. Damn work and life!!!

I don't have mine hooked up to my board's fan headers; I have them connected directly to the psu with the 3pin/4pin adapters. Since the fans have a built in switch I would assume you could do like people do on the Antec TriCool fans and that is set the switch to high and use the 3pin cable on a board header to dial down the speed.

Personally I find the fans decently quiet at full blast, I have all of mine on high. With the sound dampening on the side panels and the intake fans being at the bottom of the case (farther away from your ear), you really don't hear them much. I certainly hear my 260 fans over the intakes on high.

I don't know if connecting them to fan headers would work well, because they have two separate connectors (Speed switch and power). I initially tried them hooked up to my fan controller, and @ 80% they'd spin all messed up (very slow). That being said, they are VERY quiet on high!
I have some new fans on for my H50 coming in tomorrow, so I'll try the MB headers with a 180mm and let you know how well it works.

I have all 4 plus the CPU attached to fan headers since day one. Nary a problem, the speeds work as they should, low at 700 and I think high at 1100. The top case fan is 1200 I believe. My board being a p6x58d premium.

I have all 4 plus the CPU attached to fan headers since day one. Nary a problem, the speeds work as they should, low at 700 and I think high at 1100. The top case fan is 1200 I believe. My board being a p6x58d premium.

So you are not using the little 3 pin tri-splitter to Molex adapter???

Can you control speed with speed fan or just detect speeds???

FINISHED...

img0806q.jpg

PSU was a 650, went to swap for 850 and got 1000 for same price

img0807qv.jpg

-Replaced Noctua fans with CM R4s -- same (actually better) performance, but at higher RPM
-Replaced stock intake fans (bottom) with Silverstone LED fans and exhaust fan (top) with CM R4
-Wire loom for exposed wiring (front panel lights, HDD LED, power LED, card reader and fan controller cables, etc.)
-NZXT cable extender (sleeved) for ATX power
-Black SATA data cables

img0808zq.jpg

It's pretty bright when the cover's off...

img0849qh.jpg

...but subdued when the cover's back on. It actually looks far brighter in the photo than in person

img0819b.jpg

SATA cables

img0820z.jpg

NZXT sleeved ATX power cable extender

img0848sb.jpg

Specs:

-Intel Q6600@ 3.60 GHz (50% overclock); 1.47V max Vcore, 67C max temp (Prime95)
-Gigabyte EP45-UD3P rev. 1.6
-Noctua NH-D14 Heat Sink w/ CM R4 Fans
-Mushkin Blackline PC28500 2GB x 4 @ 1060 MHz
-2x Sapphire Radeon HD5750 (CrossFire) @ 870 MHz GPU clock (23% overclock) and 1160 MHz/4640 MHz effective memory clock (not overclocked)
-3x Samsung SyncMaster 2243 (Eyefinity)
-Sapphire Active Displayport to DL-DVI Adapter
-OCZ Vertex Turbo 120 GB SSD
-3x Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
-LG 22x and Philips 20x DVD writers
-Corsair HX1000 PSU
-Silverstone Fortress FT02B-W
-NMedia CE-Z128 Card Reader
-Scythe Kaze Server Fan Controller
-NZXT Sleeved Fan and ATX Power Cable Extenders

This was my goal for this build -- I feel satisfied that I have pushed my particular setup as far as *I* can get it to go. I'll try to use it for a while without modding it (much) and then start upgrading when I get too stir crazy. The only things on the slate for upgrading are the processor, video cards and motherboard. I actually already have new video cards because I find it hard to pass up a good deal on something that I was planning to get eventually, especially if stock is low.

When my first daughter was born I gave up riding/driving/modifying motorcycles and cars (my wife was surely glad to see all of that go). Now learning more about building a system, overclocking, etc. has become my hobby. It's still expensive, but far less-so than the big toys were, and with another daughter on the way, I figure I had better get my "all for me" spending done before the two princesses hit their teens. I know that I'll get bored if I stop modifying or run out of things to change, so I'm actually not in a hurry to move up to an 1156 or 1366. I'll keep going down the 775 route for now...still lots to learn.

A few shots to show the initial and final builds, as well as what I enjoy most about this setup:

img0592q.jpg

img0806q.jpg

img0605w.jpg

Update:

Installed 5870 Vapor-Xs. I still need to hide that one wire loop next to the ATX power header...missed it when putting the cards in, then forgot about it since that bit's hidden behind my monitor when I'm actually using the system.

img1036k.jpg

img1031d.jpg

img1032g.jpg

Hi may I know what fan clips you are using with ur noctua d14? Thanks

Hi may I know what fan clips you are using with ur noctua d14? Thanks
Hi Crumpler. Zalman Flex fan clips (what I used) fit with a bit of bending. It's hard to find just the clips, but if you watch Ebay for long they do show up from time to time. There are Scythe clips in stock at a shop local to me and they look pretty much identical to the Zalman ones that I'm using. You can find them on Ebay, too:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Scythe-SCY-12FC-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a87c39d4

Last edited:
Does anyone know the size of the screws that holds the fan switches in place at the top of the case?

They are very small.

Hi Crumpler. Zalman Flex fan clips (what I used) fit with a bit of bending. It's hard to find just the clips, but if you watch Ebay for long they do show up from time to time. There are Scythe clips in stock at a shop local to me and they look pretty much identical to the Zalman ones that I'm using. You can find them on Ebay, too:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Scythe-SCY-12FC-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a87c39d4

Hi zc1 thanks for the reply, I will ask my local distro about the scythe clips. It looks like a perfect fit with the noctua :D

Does anyone know the size of the screws that holds the fan switches in place at the top of the case?

They are very small.

The manual says M2*3.
I actually took 2 of the switches out when replacing my 180mm's with LED 180mm's and was thinking those holes (modified a lil) might be perfect for water cooling with a big rad on the back of the case.

Any way of putting a set of Lian Li V-series wheels on an FT02?

sure, you can take the thick aluminum "U" (that is the front, bottom, and back of the case) apart the rest of the case. after that it's drilling the aluminum, and bolting some casters/wheels on. pretty easy, but probably a bit time consuming.

this thread from bit-tech might help.

Hey guys, I sleeved the three 180mm fans including the wires running to the fan switches at the top of the case and to do this I had to cut and re-solder them.
Now I did this before I built the computer inside of the case and I have it all up and running but the 180mm fans don't seem to be pushing that much air.
So I am paranoid that I may have hindered their performance somehow.

Can anyone tell me when you put your hands over the fans on high is there a forceful amount of air coming off them (like similar to the top 120mm) because mine are like a gentle summer breeze! is this normal??

Any feedback would be great before I order another 3 fans to test it myself.

Back