New Silverstone FT02

@kiger

Let me know how that 5870 Vapor-X performs in the FT02. I heard that coolers in the middle of the board may not cool well but the Vapor-X is open ended. I want to know if this is true or false.

Same here, I was planning to get the vapor-x, so your impressions of it in the ft02 would be highly appreciated.

What do you mean "in the middle of the board"? In the first PCIe x1 slot I have my sound card, then in the first PCIe x16 is the video card, then there is a free PCIe x16 and in the last PCIe x8 slot is my LSI card.

Also, the main thing I want to figure out is how hot rev.2 of the board gets compared to rev.1. The review sites all reviewed rev.1 and sapphire goes and sneaks out a rev.2 this past month. The main difference I hear is that some of the components that were previously in the vapor chamber are no longer in there. I think one place reviewed the card and said it was 15 degrees hotter than the original, which would make it the same temperature as any other 5870. However, it was only half as loud as the rev.1. This lead some people in the comments to suggest that maybe the fan was not running at full speed during the review... so I am eager to figure out what is going on.

I completed my first build about one week ago. Here are the details, cross-posted from another forum:

The Build:

-Case: Silverstone FT02-BW
-Processor: Q6600 (from old system)
-Processor Cooling: H50
-Motherboard: EP45-UD3P
-PSU: Corsair HX650
-RAM: Mushkin DDR2 Redline (4x2 GB)
-Graphics: Sapphire Radeon 5750 Vapor-X x2 crossfire with Sapphire Active Displayport to DL-DVI adapter cable
-HDDs: 3x Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200RPM drives (2 from old system, 1 new); OCZ vertex turbo 120GB SSD
-ODs: Philips DVD RW 20X (from old system) and LG DVD RW (new)

Photos:

Front Panel

img0609z.jpg

Cable Management...

img0575zc.jpg

A Couple of Shots of the Interior:

img0614hs.jpg

img0592q.jpg

It Had to do This to be Worth The Effort:

img0605w.jpg

Last edited:
zc1, nice to see mixture of newer budget conscious hardware like the 5770s mixed w/ the still-formidable Q6600. I'm curious about why you choose to mount the h50 on the bottom as opposed to the top. I actually think it looks better mounted to the bottom as you have it, but I'm curious if you did any temp testing that showed a change in results.

I completed my first build about one week ago. Here are the details, cross-posted from another forum:
img0592q.jpg

Man, the interior of the black ft02 just looks sooo much better than the silver. I really do prefer the exterior of the silver model, but interior-wise, it's just no contest. Black is the champ.

I did not have time to do very much because I got off work late, but here is a taste of what I've come up with. I need to replace the bottom most bolts because the interfere with the magnetic filters. Tomorrow I'll try to find some flat heads or pins.

I'm just impressed how everything fits so perfect. I did not have to modify the case itself one bit; so if I ever want to go back to the original design, no problem.

img2416d.jpg

img2417od.jpg

So your going to place the filters under the case right?

What is the base that's holding the fans? Does it comes with the case or you bought them?

The filters go underneath the case. I need to find some screws that have a very flush connection with the fans in order to get the filter to work well. When I tested them out without anything connected to the base of the case they work flawlessly. I'm sure I'll figure something out if I look around at home depot long enough.

As for the base that supports the fans. They are simply 140mm to 120mm connectors. About 5 bucks each found here. If you go with 140mm fans you don't need them.

Last edited:
zc1, nice to see mixture of newer budget conscious hardware like the 5770s mixed w/ the still-formidable Q6600. I'm curious about why you choose to mount the h50 on the bottom as opposed to the top. I actually think it looks better mounted to the bottom as you have it, but I'm curious if you did any temp testing that showed a change in results.

Thanks Coconutboy. The 5750s and the Q6600 play very nicely together :D Regarding the H50 setup, though,I didn't do any testing at all. I just wanted to get good, cool air through the radiator and, if possible, also maintain the general flow pattern in the case. I didn't want to pull air in through the top, leaving only the PCI slot covers for exhausting air from the case. I also didn't want to pull warm air from the inside of the case and out through a top-mounted rad. In theory, the bottom-mounted rad makes the most sense to me, but I don't know how much of a practical difference there is, if any, versus the other two configurations. I figure that the warmer the internal temp gets, though, the more difference there will be between this setup and the other two configurations.

Last edited:
The filters go underneath the case. I need to find some screws that have a very flush connection with the fans in order to get the filter to work well. When I tested them out without anything connected to the base of the case they work flawlessly. I'm sure I'll figure something out if I look around at home depot long enough.

As for the base that supports the fans. They are simply 140mm to 120mm connectors. About 5 bucks each found here. If you go with 140mm fans you don't need them.

If I get the case, I'm going to buy high rpm 140mm fans. As for the cooler, I will get a aftermarket HSF to not interrupt the airflow.
Those 120s you have without the filter holder should give you more room. 5970s should fit nicely now.

I was planning on doing the same thing with an H50.. My FT-02 is ordered, but amazon is taking forever to ship. I ordered on Saturday and figured it would ship before 12 today. I guess I'm to used to neweggs fast service. It hasn't shipped yet but it should be here by the 17th. I'm going to be cooling an I7 and I would like to know if the h50 is up to the task...

Those 120s you have without the filter holder should give you more room. 5970s should fit nicely now.

I'm curious about this; kiger what's your measurement on height with the 140>120mm adapter+fan versus the height on the 180mm stock sled+fan+internal filter?
Are you not going to use internal filters on the 120s? (to keep things from falling into the blades...not dust [obviously])

I'm surprised 140mm fans screw flush hole wise since the stocks are 180s.

@zero2dash

I'll have to measure it in a day or two and get back to you.

If you look back a few screenshots you will see some white magnetic filters and I am using them on the underside of the case and they work flawless. I recommend everyone pick three of them up; they are amazing. I did pick up some 120mm filters from silverstone that look identical to the 180mm ones and have some mesh on them. However, because the magnetic ones are so fine, there is absolutely no need to use the silverstone ones and they would just impede the airflow.

Right now I have everything set up and I am running 4ghz with HT enabled and the temps hover under 69c at full load. In a few days I will receive my San Ace fans and will give those a whirl. When it is all said and done I will get some pictures up.

By the way, Crysis is amazing! I couldn't be happier! Oh, and as for the case itself, I just love the design. When I put my hand underneath the case all I feel is cold air being sucked in and when I place my hand over the top, hot hot hot! Talk about amazing design.

Last edited:
@FalconSS

It is odd that Amazon is taking so long. I ordered mine from Amazon and it arrived next day. Maybe give them a call or shoot them an email.....

Last edited:
By the way, Crysis is amazing! I couldn't be happier!
Since I had a subpar gaming PC for most of the last 3 years, I too had missed out on this game but recently completed it. Someone recommended that I use the Crysis Advanced AI mod and it was pretty good, but a near must-have was their 2nd recommendation for Cuban's Custom Crysis Config. I tried playing through the game for about an hour without the CCC pack, and the difference is pretty remarkable.

Also, if you enjoy Crysis, I'd recommend playing Crysis Warhead as I think it's a better game in most respects (albeit it's missing some noteworthy escapades from the first title).

Thanks for the recommendation on the CCC pack; I'll give it a shot. I have warhead too; it came in the Crysis bundle pack. I figured I would play through the first one to begin with.

Any recommendations on config packs for warhead?

I think the next game I'll try out after warhead is probably Stalker. I have been meaning to play that for ages but never had a good pc.

Hehehe. I think we're walking the same road. I just started Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl 2 days ago and I'm really enjoying it. After this, I'll either play Stalker CoP (not sure if I'll dabble in Clear Sky), Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead 2 or some other sequel. :D

I played Warhead using only Rygel's textures and the Crytek patches. It ran a LOT better than Crysis framerate-wise. W/ our stock speed i7 860 and radeon 5850, Crysis framerates were averaging a hair under 40 fps w/ everything set to high @ 1920x1200. Warhead ran closer to 50 w/ "enthusiast" shaders, textures and a few others settings mixed w/ everything else on "gamer". My guess is that Crytek adopted a lot of the community tweaks to increase performance while also improving visuals.

For Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl, a number of people in another forum recommended I try one of 3 mods. These combined w/ the official patches will fix all bugs (I've experienced none so far) and really improve the visuals. Choices:

~ Stalker Complete 2009. I went with this since it's mainly said to be a visual upgrade which is all I really wanted for my first trip through Chernobyl. I played the stock game for about 20 mins, then installed this mod and the difference was very pronounced. I did keep the stock UI vs the Complete's, but otherwise it's been fantastic thus far and I'm about 10-12 hours in.

~ LURK. Adds a ton of new guns and allows players to stealth much MUCH more effectively. Like Complete 2009, LURK gives the game a visual face lift. I figure I'll use this one if I ever give the game a second run sometime later on.

~ Oblivion Lost. Also improves visuals, but makes more alterations to the game vs the other mods like adding cars to speed up transportation around the world. With all the running around I've done, I can see why veteran players might appreciate this. It's still reputed to be pretty close to the original game as are LURK and Complete, but I wanted to be as vanilla as possible my first time while really kicking up the textures/shadows etc.

Enjoy!

I'm playing crysis and getting pounded by those helicopters. I was about to aim at the rudders when it fricking exploded! I zoomed out and realized that two of the copters just had a midair collision! What a great game.

because the magnetic ones are so fine, there is absolutely no need to use the silverstone ones

I saw you mention that your plan was buying those, and I saw now that they were $8.99 a piece. How fine are they compared to regular dust filters, and do they restrict airflow at all (guessing no)?

I can't compare the DEMCiflex stuff to the FT02's since I haven't had hands-on with the case yet, but the filters are definitely better than the type you get with Lian Li cases. Finer mesh, yet it doesn't seem restrictive at all. IMO they're pretty good.

I would say that the DEMCiflex have even smaller holes than the silverstone filters yet still allow a good bit of airflow. It is not a metal mesh but rather a fabric-like material. Pick one up and give it a whirl; with shipping it should be less than 10 bucks.

Regardless of your fan setup in the FT02, the nice thing about the DEMCiflex is that you can place them underneath the case which will virtually eliminate dust.

Well on a huge downer my ASRock x58 Extreme died today...board was in somewhat of a endless POST this morning, finally got it to boot normally, left for work...checked my F@h clients using logmein and the computer was offline again. Came home during lunch, it wouldn't turn on. Tried a different psu, no dice. Figured board or cpu, as many have said over in the Folding forums...kinda hard to kill a cpu these days. :D Drove to MC on the way home, picked up an EX58A-UD3R and it fired right up.

Going to RMA the ASRock tomorrow.
New pics (cable management kind of a retread)
IMG_0479_1.jpg

IMG_0478_1.jpg

IMG_0480_1.jpg

Only downer about the Gigabyte is there's no gap between the 260's so I have a feeling they're going to be a tad hotter than before. Oh well...

@zero2dash

I see that you have a HX850 too. I tell you, the cable length really ticks me off. I wonder if something like this would do the trick?

Here are some shots of my FT02. I still have to install the San Ace fans and figure out some cable management, but I think you can get the idea from these shots:

dsc3848.jpg

dsc3864.jpg

dsc3861.jpg

Last edited:
3. I have removed the 180mm fans, the trays, and the filters. It appears that the intakes on the bottom of the case are 140mm. So I've picked up 3 Scythe S-Flex "E" fans along with three of these 120mm to 140mm adapters. I think they can be used in reverse too so it will completely cover the 140mm intake and allow me to mount the fans on top. If you scroll up you can see that I linked to some SilverStone 120mm grills too. They are just like the 180mm ones! Finally, I plan on putting three of these magnetic 140mm dust filters on the bottom of the case. If all goes well, I'll have a lot of pictures up next week.

Whats the point on replacing 180mm stock case fans for smaller ones? I guess the 180mm are better over 120mm as for airflow/noise ratio.

The main reason is choice of fans.

As for 180mm fans, silverstone is the only choice.
As for 140mm fans, there are a few more choices.
As for 120mm fans, there are hundreds of choices.

I spent about a week looking at fan reviews and benchmarks and I realized that 180mm and 140mm fans do not push more air than high quality 120mm fans because, to put it simply, they are not as high quality. The stock 180mm fans are going to work just fine, but I really wanted to put some Scythe fans in there because they will last forever and silverstone fans have received really poor marks in the reviews.

It has also given me about 1 to 1.5 more inches in the event I want to install a longer graphics card.

Finally, I was really unsatisfied with the filter design in the FT02. While I could have simply placed the magnetic filters underneath the case and left the 180mm fans alone... it just did not feel right. I had this nagging urge to rip out the fan stands and filters and do it myself :p

@zero2dash

I see that you have a HX850 too. I tell you, the cable length really ticks me off. I wonder if something like this would do the trick?

What other cables did you find to be too short? I have the same psu and case, I just have yet to assemble everything.

BTW your Pioneer drive looks really nice, almost a perfect match!

dang it, I had hoped it would arrive while I was at lunch... oh well It should be there by the time I get home

@zero2dash

Really the biggest complaint I have is that there's no real good way to work with the far side panel and hiding wires/not getting it to bulge with the SATA and 4pin molex cables back there; there's really no way to get the Corsair cables to lay as flat as I'd like them to be, and there's no better place to route them without having them be too visible.

The PCIe cables don't really bother me too much, nor do the ATX 24pin or EPS 8pin.

awesome! the fedex person stopped by my work to drop off phones ( I work for a local cell phone carrier) I asked them when the estimated arrival was and they actually had my FT-02 in their truck! now its sittiing in our back office... I can't wait to get it home! its going to make the next 3 hours unbearable!

Well on a huge downer my ASRock x58 Extreme died today...board was in somewhat of a endless POST this morning, finally got it to boot normally, left for work...checked my F@h clients using logmein and the computer was offline again. Came home during lunch, it wouldn't turn on. Tried a different psu, no dice. Figured board or cpu, as many have said over in the Folding forums...kinda hard to kill a cpu these days. :D Drove to MC on the way home, picked up an EX58A-UD3R and it fired right up.

Going to RMA the ASRock tomorrow.
New pics (cable management kind of a retread)
IMG_0479_1.jpg

IMG_0478_1.jpg

IMG_0480_1.jpg

Only downer about the Gigabyte is there's no gap between the 260's so I have a feeling they're going to be a tad hotter than before. Oh well...

insane setup man. love the ssd too

Think it may be this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=2.5_sata_hotswap-_-17-993-017-_-Product

Maybe not, but something close at least.

Close. I have that but it is not SAS and does not fit into the case. What you see in my picture is this. However, I am going to ditch it and put my 2.5" drives in the 3.5" bays and use a 8087 to 8482 cable because the fans in the SAS bay are the loudest thing in the case and they are pretty annoying; the vibration annoys me; and it would just be cleaner doing it with the 3.5" bays. Shame I spent the hundred bucks on the bay; maybe I can pawn it on ebay.

Newegg is being very stingy with the free shipping combo deals. I'm ready to buy this case with a 850/1000W Strider PSU.

yeah thats why I ended up ordering on amazon and signing up for the one month free prime membership, free 2-day shipping!

I may do the same. It has come down to the FT02 and 800D. Newegg is better when it comes to combo deals because I could get a FT02 with a PSU. I could save about $20-50 if they combined this case with other items. Silverstone cases rarely have combos and free shipping.

I went with the Seasonic X-750...because of the high efficiency it should be plenty for most users who don't have 5+ 10k RPM drives in their system while running Quadfire. I could probably easily get away with a X650 but wanted to go ahead for the extra cushion, I'm going to be using this chassis+PSU for 3-4 years probably. Chassis probably even longer.

I'm not always great for combo deals because I usually want specific parts.

I will say the the FT-02 has totally impressed me. I've never spent this much for a case and it is totally worth it after actually having it. It looks even better then it does on the nets and the build quality is incredible.

Last edited:
Back