new sff build

zipdrive

Limp Gawd
Just built a sff and the nt06 ain't cutting it performance wise. Any suggestions for a good low profile cpu cooler?

GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R

Thermaltake Purepower RX W0144RU ATX12V 600W

SILVERSTONE NT06-LITE CPU Cooler

Thermaltake VF1000BWS

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS x2 in raid 0

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066

LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R

EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS

I like the XP-120 in my lanbox build. See the end of my build thread for some temp tests and info:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1166883

What are your temps? How close is the heatsink to the power supply fan? How much thermal grease did you use (I've found big difference between proper amount applied, and when too much applied).

For me, re-installing my heatsink with less thermal compound used, and reversing the power supply, so it pulled air out out of the case from the heatsink gave me the best results in my build. Very nice temps now, but not overclocking much either.

temps are 40c at idle at default speed.. This heatsink is meant to be fannless, depending on the power supply to suck out heat. It can mount a 120mm fan, but there is about 5mm too much on a 25mm fan to fit under the power supply. That's why I figure I'll just look for another HSF.

temps are 40c at idle at default speed.. This heatsink is meant to be fannless, depending on the power supply to suck out heat. It can mount a 120mm fan, but there is about 5mm too much on a 25mm fan to fit under the power supply. That's why I figure I'll just look for another HSF.

You might do some searches here. I remember seeing someone that had the NT06 in a lanbox, and actually put a fan UNDER the heatsink (like between the CPU and heatsink fins). I can't recall the specifics, sounded slightly custom as far as attaching the fans, but looked like a good setup.

Similar to mine though, exhaust goes up into power supply, and power supply pulls air up and out of case.

Took some searching, but found a related post from Dworley on it (Think on a prior page he may have a pic of the NT06 with the fan under):

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1030762952#post1030762952

I like the XP-120 in my lanbox build. See the end of my build thread for some temp tests and info:
Ditto, with inverted 1600RPM Scythe S-Flex fan into the PS. That mobo can kick the fan down to ~800RPM when cool so its not noisy. Runs the e6850 cool at 3.75Ghz w/ a 8800GTX at 630/1000 stable... might be able to do more, but I think 4 RAM sticks is limiting me and I didn't do the vdroop mod, but that was fast enough for me in a SFF.

In the taller Lian Li, I'm going to try to squeeze in a Zalman CNPS9500 AT. I sure hopet fits.

I use a Zalman CNPS8000 on a Q6600 oc'd to 3.00ghz for 24/7 use stable, and it works spectacularly in my heavily-modded normal-atx-taking X-Qpack. It is an excellent cooler, and performs much better for low-profile than anything else on the market that I researched heavily on :).

Ducman, GoldenTiger, what kind of temps are you guys getting? I see that you're getting these high overclocks and running them 24/7, but how hot are these things getting?

55-56 overnight running Orthos, room is about 76oF... although speaking of room temperature, that little box w/ the 8800GTX is like a portable heater. Warms up the whole room after a few hours. And I don't think that my overclock is particularly high for a E6850. Everyone and their mom seems to be able to squeeze out more, at least that was my impression glancing around in the overclocking forum.

Back