New second hand intel m5 windows 10 pro tablet. Would you format to ensure there is no malware

userwords

n00b
Ive got a second hand intel m5 tablet with windows 10 pro preinstalled and i ask myself if i may consider the risk of it having any kind of malware-spyware carefully and manually preinstalled. I dont know the people that may have owned it before. It is supposedly a new reinstall, ive only found an added antivirus and a system check log, the rest is supposedly a blank windows 10 pro new install.

I see two options that i turn into two questions.

Is there a way to ensure 100% that the device is clean without the need of format and install everything myself from scratch. Like update windows defender to the latest then make a scan. Maybe some additional software like Malware Bytes Anti Malware, Hitman, Ccleaner, Superantyspyware, and whtever.

Or if not possible to ensure that 100% that way. Is there a way to make a cold full copy of the ssd inside so if i format and find any issue i could go always back and reinstate all what it was in there from Os to drivers, every bit in the ssd.
Because I dont have a disk for the os, although i got the license that should work for a reinstall, also i got no disc for the drivers, it is a Dell so i may have to download as many drivers as i find listed for this device in their web then expect them to be enough to make all the fancy devices on it work, like nfc, sim card, sd card, blutooth, wifi, digital pen, keyboard dock with battery and trackpad, front and rear camera, device speakers, touch screen, and i may be forgetting some,... This stuff is overbloated with all the fancies you would find in a mobile phone but in a pc mobile system, so who knows the gazillion drivers this may have in it thay may need you to reinstall. Unless you tell me all of that is usually put toghether in a single file by model or something like that.

So what would you do in my shoes.

Last edited:
I'd wipe it just on principle. Dell's great about having drivers. In fact, I'd go so far as to do a full wipe of the drive (DBAN) before reinstalling Windows.

Odds are it's UEFI, and very particular about the booting process, if it's anything like the old Dell Latitude ST2 tablets and Venue 11 Pros. Just make sure you have a GPT formatted flash drive. The ISO to get Windows is simple enough to get from MS's download tool. Rufus can make that bootable drive for you.

I would wipe it. Check into clonezilla for making a backup of the drive.

I just picked up TWO Dell Latitude 5175 used off of Amazon and they unopened new in the box... asset tag warranty check show warranty is valid for 11 more months :) on both.

i5
8GB
256GB sad

turned them on and windows 10 setup started asking the usual questions....

bios indicates 2 power cycles

Back