New SATA-II HD running in UDMA5 (ATA100) instead of UDMA7? + other issues

Sanchez

Limp Gawd
So I bought the Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB SATA-II drive recently, it's connected to an Abit AB9 Pro with the ICH8R southbridge and there seem to be a few issues.

1. According to HD Tune, the drive is running in UDMA5 ATA100 mode, when it says the supported mode is UDMA7.

HDTune_pl9re053vh5tethnec8t.jpg

How do I get it to run in UDMA7? Is it normal to run in UDMA5? This is my first SATA drive so I'm not sure.

I got the latest drivers from Abit's website for my sata controller, they are pretty old though. I tried poking around Intel's website but I could not find anything that was compatible, all I did find was AHCI/RAID drivers but I'm running my sata controller in IDE mode.

2. The performance numbers don't match up.

TechReport has a review of the 1TB version of this drive here. Both the 1TB drive and the 750GB run off 3 platters so the performance numbers should be about the same.

Untitled1_mprq0lfllvkqq5ewqywu.jpg

If you look at the TechReport review and the pic you see that my drive performs slower.

Average Read Speed: 97.7 vs 76.3

The burst speed and random access time are about the same but the average read speed is off by quite a bit. Would getting the drive into UDMA7 fix that?

And BAM: "all I did find was AHCI/RAID drivers but I'm running my sata controller in IDE mode"

You need to run in AHCI I believe.

When running in AHCI mode, HD Tune was completely blank in the Supported and Active fields where it would tell me what mode the HD is running at. Same thing in the device manager under the properties of my sata controller. Benchmarks were identical to ide mode as well.

Take a look at the comparison charts between those two drives at Toms. Your results are mirrored by theirs.

I wouldn't think there would be that much difference.

Back