New Rts from Chris taylor

Pivo504

2[H]4U
http://www.pcgamer.com/chris-taylor-is-making-a-new-rts/
Was really excited when I first saw CT was making a new rts until I read about playing on your phone and ftp model.....I really hope the playing on your phone aspect is changed. Rts gaming is not meant for phones and needs powerful pcs with keyboard mouse for the best experience. I was honestly hoping for the next step in the evolution of rts gaming....rts gaming seems to have gone no where much since supcom fa and the pa game that was somewhat of a failure.

The words "multi-platform" and "free to play" give me pause when it comes to an RTS. We'll have to wait and see.

Oi totally agree mav. It's sad to see where gaming is going with the dlc ftp ptw models....with all the pc power developers could create anything..I feel rts gaming has gone no where since forged alliance. Rts gaming should be pc only

This guy is funny as hell I really hope he gets a game off the ground this time was following his Kings and Knights game "which never got off the ground" or whatever it was called on his old YouTube blog. Hoping he does something Mid-evil or Fantasy in comparison instead of Sci-fi.

As for specifics, he’s keeping quiet right now, and the new studio isn’t actually up and running yet.

I agree comix. I'm hoping he goes back to a full on fantasy game with strategic zoom and huge battlefields with bridges, castles, dragons etc...it's never been done before as far as fantasy rts goes. But I still want him to revisit supreme commander style rts. I found a recent article where he basically said he's following the supcom/ta style. He also mentioned that there won't be a studio but he's hired people around the world and he is working out of his pottery building on his estate! . Anyways hope it's a hit like ta and sup com bc I don't see anything else on the horizon for rts gaming but the phone gaming had me turned off... here's the article https://www.google.com/amp/www.euro...tery-total-annihilations-chris-taylor-new-rts

Last edited:
the last time i bought a game with this guys name on it was Supreme Commander 2 and it tanked so im about excited as when i get emails from chris roberts on the current state of star citizen.

Bump I guess noone cares about the RTS gaming scene anymore!!!!

to be fair it's chris taylor more than anything, trusting that guy to release anything properly is a waste.. he failed with GPG, he failed with the game he was suppose to be developing with wargaming(note the studio he worked for under wargaming was not involved in the "world of" games). i'd rather just see him leave the gaming industry as a whole.

yes i'm salty as hell about what happened to supcom 2 after he and his development team lied their ass off to their fanbase.

I agree comix. I'm hoping he goes back to a full on fantasy game with strategic zoom and huge battlefields with bridges, castles, dragons etc...it's never been done before as far as fantasy rts goes. But I still want him to revisit supreme commander style rts. I found a recent article where he basically said he's following the supcom/ta style. He also mentioned that there won't be a studio but he's hired people around the world and he is working out of his pottery building on his estate! . Anyways hope it's a hit like ta and sup com bc I don't see anything else on the horizon for rts gaming but the phone gaming had me turned off... here's the article https://www.google.com/amp/www.euro...tery-total-annihilations-chris-taylor-new-rts

if that was the case, then why not join the rest of the original TA team that did planetary annihilation which was based on the supcom/TA style.. it's been done and it's failed, the market for games like supcom/TA has become way to niche because kids don't have the attention span for them and adults that grew up playing them like myself don't have the free time anymore to play a 1h+ RTS match.

Last edited:
Chris Taylor, as much as I loved Total Annihilation back in the day, is the EA of RTS games. He comes out with something really good like TA or Dungeon Siege (less good than TA, but still good) and then things go...sideways. TA:Kingdoms. Dungeon Siege 2/3. SupComm2.

I'd be much more excited if he were just doing a TA remix ala the Star Craft redo that Blizzard is going with.

Honestly I did not buy supcom 2 bc it steered to far from the original and ta. But let's face it what is left for rts gaming? No one can innovate rts like CT did with ta and supcom. Planetary anhilation was cool but I didn't play it as much as sup com it was missing something. If you think supcom style games are long planetary anhilation was ridiculous with the stupid space units. Rts gaming has so much potential still. Really all that's left is Blizzard franchises of warcraft and Star craft....also if you played this style of rts games with smaller maps the games did not last as long. I never cared ti play the 4v4s bc they got to slow...

Last edited:
Shit I can't imagine how quickly my life would spiral down the drain if they released a Remastered Total Annihilation.

And you have no idea how much I hate saying that "R" word.

Honestly I did not buy supcom 2 bc it steered to far from the original and ta. But let's face it what is left for rts gaming? No one can innovate rts like CT did with ta and supcom. Planetary anhilation was cool but I didn't play it as much as sup com it was missing something. If you think supcom style games are long planetary anhilation was ridiculous with the stupid space units. Rts gaming has so much potential still. Really all that's left is Blizzard franchises of warcraft and Star craft....also if you played this style of rts games with smaller maps the games did not last as long. I never cared ti play the 4v4s bc they got to slow...

there were two points where the RTS genre pretty much died, EA destroying the C&C franchise in 2009 with the cashcow blundering of red alert 3 and blizzard with starcraft II which fed into the instant gratification mindset of teenagers.. up until then RTS games were friggin amazing and diverse, and then poof it was all gone.

Shit I can't imagine how quickly my life would spiral down the drain if they released a Remastered Total Annihilation.

And you have no idea how much I hate saying that "R" word.

lol i still play it every once in a while with my cousin and a few other people.

Supreme Commander (not 2) was amazing and I still play it once in a while. Loved the dual monitor support back then.

Home worlds 3 games are fun though the Deserts replay is not quite as fun as the story was. Homeworld 2 is still a decent game but dated and I hate the small battles since its not easy to make it accept larger fleets through steam.

RUSE was fun for a while but didnt last long :(

CoH was a neat idea but I hated being so close in 100% of the time.

Free to play is meh for this style but maybe he'll pull something out worth looking at. I dont mind different platforms but it needs to be fun on all of them in order to succeed.

Chris Taylor gave me years of enjoyment from TA. He was incredibly smart and creative. His downfall was unfortunate to see, going from the best game maker, to working as an advisory on mobile games. Signs of the times.

CT problem was dumbing the game down and getting away from what made supcom special. He needs to go back to those roots and somehow improve upon the awesome stuff in supcom. Supcom to me was the closest rts ever to a real war. No other game has the vast amount of strategy.
The only rts I play now is actually starcraft2...I enjoy it and I can get in and play a quick game or two within less than an hr and I'm good. I honestly only enjoyed the smaller maps in supcom bc the gameplay was fast and required you to be on your toes. The big maps got really slow gameplay wise and I just couldnt enjoy it. I played planetary anhilation for a bit but all the space units and flying off to different planets got ridiculous & games could go on for several hours! I hated having only 1 faction. Rts gaming is what got me into the pc world (command and conquer, ta, star craft) Sadly, I feel CT is the only person who will bring the future of rts gaming to us & I hope it brings the glory days back.

Yeah, I did love me some TA so I'm mildly hopeful. I enjoyed SupCom and even to some extent SupCom2.

Back