New Rocketfish CPU Cooler

SirKronan

Supreme [H]ardness
Still not on the website. I just purchased a Rocketfish branded CPU cooler at Best Buy. I will post pics for anyone interested. As I live in a small (50,000, not including surrounding area) town, Best Buy happens to be the largest electronics store. The Circuit City is smaller and carries even less computer stuff.

So when I saw a new store-branded CPU cooler show up on the shelves I was anxious to give it a try. I was completely unsatisfied with the stock Intel cooler's performance on my E4500 allendale. With a paltry overclock to 2.6GHz on my EVGA 780i board I was idling in the high 40's and hitting 70c at load! :eek: YIKES! And that was with the noisy stock cooler at 100%.

This is on my wife's computer, of course, so I want good temps and super stability. 72c at load is unacceptable. And here I was hoping for 3.0GHz on my little budget processor. Call me demanding, but I wanted 3.0GHz, decent temps, and low noise for my wife, all while on a cheap processor. :p

Installation isn't as simple as I would've liked. I had to remove the motherboard. It bolts on. (The AM2 mounting system seems to mirror the stock AMD cooling more. I think it would be a simple clip-on replacement on an AMD board, but I'll test that on one of my AMD machines later)

There are plastic washers and rubber vibration dampening rings to keep it quiet. The contact plate appears to be solid copper, and there are two copper heatpipes that feed into aluminum fins. On top there is a no-frills clear fan that appears to be around 100mm or so. (looks bigger than a 92, but not as big as a 120.)

On the 2.66GHz OC my temps instantly dropped to 30c at idle. Load temps never passed 51c. All settings the same as they were before. I'm load testing it now at 3.0GHz. I'll soon report.

I will also post pics. It retails for $29. So far it looks to be decent. We'll see with some testing. As far as noise goes, it's quieter at 100% than the stock fan at 60%. At 50% and below it's too quiet to compare, as the PSU makes more noise than any other fans in the case. (I need to do something about that...)

Has anyone else out there picked up one of this? If so, do share!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103041

Looks identical to this CoolerMaster unit.

I suppose $29.99 isn't too bad at a B&M store. Everything's 100% stable at 3.0GHz, by the way. Temps always staying below 57c or so. Case doesn't have the best airflow either. Should do fine for my wife's PC. By the time you add shipping to the coolermaster unit at Newegg it comes out to the same price. Decent cooler.

This thing will fit in smaller profile cases where something like a Freezer 7 Pro would not. Cools well, and so far I like mine. Very quiet and much improved temps over stock. Let me know if you guys have any questions about this cooler. It's a decent replacement for a stock cooler that you can pick up at a local Best Buy. They might even match Newegg's price if you show them it's the exact same cooler. YMMV on that one, but can be a quick convenient replacement for someone like me that only has BBY nearby - no Fry's, no Microcenter. :(

That Cooler Master Vortex 752 is a very nice cooler for having only 2 heatpipes and a 92mm fan. I recently paired one with an X2 5000+ and a Gigabyte 780G mobo for a really quiet but fast HTPC box and the DVD drive is the noisiest thing in the system (only fans are the CM752 and 1x120mm exhaust). Mine was purchased at my local Fry's Electronics for ~$25

Also, during testing of the above build I accidentally closed the case up with a SATA power cable stuck in the fan blades...the machine actually got into Windows but the CPU was idling at 75c :eek: so it can work passively in an emergency situation if it has to.

That Cooler Master Vortex 752 is a very nice cooler for having only 2 heatpipes and a 92mm fan. I recently paired one with an X2 5000+ and a Gigabyte 780G mobo for a really quiet but fast HTPC box and the DVD drive is the noisiest thing in the system (only fans are the CM752 and 1x120mm exhaust). Mine was purchased at my local Fry's Electronics for ~$25

Also, during testing of the above build I accidentally closed the case up with a SATA power cable stuck in the fan blades...the machine actually got into Windows but the CPU was idling at 75c :eek: so it can work passively in an emergency situation if it has to.

Yeah. Had I known how small it is and how good it cools I would've got this instead of this:

For my HTPC.

The Silverstone is fine, but I doubt it cools quite as well as the coolermaster/rocketfish. The Silverstone is pretty much flat. Flattest CPU cooler that still has a decent fan. Will fit in CRAZY thin cases. The coolermaster/rocketfish would fit in mine just fine and still have room to spare. I'm really liking its performance and quietness. Glad someone else on here has used it!

The Rocketfish is identical to the coolermaster with the exception of the fan. Same fan, but black on the coolermaster, clear on the rocketfish.

I picked mine up at BBY for $14.99 after my employee discount. I just built a secondary computer so I figured I might as well get something for cooling.

Right now I'm running OCCT @ 2.8GHz only hitting 60c on full load (ambient is about 24c).

So far the money I'm definitely satisfied. It also seems pretty quiet.

I picked mine up at BBY for $14.99 after my employee discount. I just built a secondary computer so I figured I might as well get something for cooling.

Right now I'm running OCCT @ 2.8GHz only hitting 60c on full load (ambient is about 24c).

So far the money I'm definitely satisfied. It also seems pretty quiet.

Freaking BBY is pissing me off. They just raised the price this week to $39.99. This is effed up. They take someone else's (coolermaster in this case) $30, put a rocketfish stamp on it, and sell it for $40.

Like their "700 watt" PSU. They take a fairly good quality Chaintech 550 watt PSU that's worth about $80-90 and sell it for $169.99. SAME FREAKING PRODUCT. Put RocketFish stamp on it, sell it for DOUBLE.

A**holes.

I would stay away. Even with the famous Rocket Fish EPP @ Best Buy, it just is not worth it.

Use your discount for Monster Cable products, and skip the coolers. There are better choices.

I would stay away. Even with the famous Rocket Fish EPP @ Best Buy, it just is not worth it.

Use your discount for Monster Cable products, and skip the coolers. There are better choices.

Hey, the cooler works great. I have it installed in my wife's PC. I ordered a Xigmatek 92mm job for about the same price off Newegg. It is louder than this coolermaster (rebranded to rocketfish), and the cooling performance sux, even with MX2. The contacting surface isn't nearly as smooth on the Xigmatek as on the RF cooler. It's a pain to take off the motherboard, but it mounts securely and cools my 2.2GHZ Allendale to 3.0GHz and keeps the temps very much in check, while still being quiet.

I just have a problem with the price. $29.99 was fine. Same price as what you would pay from Newegg on the same cooler with shipping. But now that they raised it to $39.99 it's not a good deal at all. I know all prices are going up, but ten bucks is a big jump.

I had to delete the image of the coolermaster heatsink as you linked directly to the picture on Newegg. Technically that is bandwidth theft and against the rules. I put in instead a link to the product page where the picture can be found on neweggs site. So in the future please do the same, put in a link to the site hosting the pic or host it yourself or imagebucket etc.

Here is the coolermaster heatsink SirKronan was talking about in post #2 and #4

the only RocketFish product that was good was the rebrand of the lianli case.....if anyone knew. :rolleyes:

I had to delete the image of the coolermaster heatsink as you linked directly to the picture on Newegg. Technically that is bandwidth theft and against the rules. I put in instead a link to the product page where the picture can be found on neweggs site. So in the future please do the same, put in a link to the site hosting the pic or host it yourself or imagebucket etc.

Here is the coolermaster heatsink SirKronan was talking about in post #2 and #4

Sorry about that. Thanks for helping me out here. Didn't realize. :(

You cant complain about best buy not being competitive on enthusiast parts with an online retailer.

Firstly best buy has way more overhead costs. It costs alot of money to have that nice and clean brick and mortar store in your town. Costs almost nothing in comparison to opperate a website/warehouse.

Secondly, they have different target markets. If your shopping at newegg your probably a little more informed and know how to do your research. There is a reason best buy stocks geforce 7300gt's for 80 bucks 3 years after they were released. People are uninformed and think that a video card with 256mb ram is awesome no matter what it is. Thats what they are feeding off of.

If you need the cooler asap to get a computer up and running that instant, you have the option of going and buying it from BB. If you have the 3-5 days to wait and want to save 10 bucks order it from the egg.

You cant complain about best buy not being competitive on enthusiast parts with an online retailer.

Firstly best buy has way more overhead costs. It costs alot of money to have that nice and clean brick and mortar store in your town. Costs almost nothing in comparison to opperate a website/warehouse.

Secondly, they have different target markets. If your shopping at newegg your probably a little more informed and know how to do your research. There is a reason best buy stocks geforce 7300gt's for 80 bucks 3 years after they were released. People are uninformed and think that a video card with 256mb ram is awesome no matter what it is. Thats what they are feeding off of.

If you need the cooler asap to get a computer up and running that instant, you have the option of going and buying it from BB. If you have the 3-5 days to wait and want to save 10 bucks order it from the egg.

You are right, and for the record I work at Best Buy. I thought $29.99 was a good buy. I just don't think $39.99 is. They raised it because of your reasoning, of course, but regardless, the unit still costs BBY about 14 bucks. I think 100% markup is enough. After all, it's supposed to be a "Best Buy". I am a huge fan of competition and offering good prices to customers. I like BBY to make money, but like the customers to get a good deal, too. Sometimes I'm a customer just like everybody else, and I like to see things from both sides. IMHO $39.99 is $10 too high, and if a customer comes into my store I will match Newegg's price plus shipping, which will be $29.99.

Back