New Rig for Streaming

Bob002

Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Streaming MMA events and gaming (unless I can get away with upgrading my current rig for one or the other)
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Probably a grand or so. Could stretch it a bit, however.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

US. Southern Missouri
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Let's go with everything. Case, hdd (prefer main SSD), vid card, ram, mobo, monitor.DVD drive, power supply. wireless
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

none in relation to that. Will be using 2 BlackMagicDesign HDMI capture cards. Would be nice if could use those + a NIC.
6) Will you be overclocking?

nah.
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

probably be interested in new monitor
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Next spring. At the least getting a feel for where I need to be/what i need to look for. I realize this is a little far out, but I can revisit the thread when I get closer, or, if the price is cheap enough, I can build one before then.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Nothign that I know of. high speed transfer stuff would be good, however. possibly gigabit networking. Will need a high speed wireless card, more than likely, so room for Vid card, the slots for the 2 cards + the slot for the NIC might come in handy. Current board has one slot blocked due to double vid card.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

I will need a new one.

As I said at first, I am the video guy for a local amateur MMA promotion. I'm also a fighter. I am the one who knows how to use a computer beyond turning it on. The current one is getting a little long in the tooth (4 years old, I think) and I want to see what I can do to get something else going. It would be nice if I could get something a little more portable, but that isn't an absolute requirement, but more of a "want". I'm tired of lugging entire tower back and forth. I imagine I'm looking for processor speed + RAM as the two main components I'll need in quantity.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Next spring. At the least getting a feel for where I need to be/what i need to look for. I realize this is a little far out, but I can revisit the thread when I get closer, or, if the price is cheap enough, I can build one before then.
$1000 is pretty much what you're going to want to spend for a gaming PC. However, you're just planning way too early. Due to the volatile nature of computer hardware pricing and availability, what's a good deal now may not be a good deal next month. So whatever we recommend this month is more than likely useless as a base for you after a year in next spring. So please come back when you're 1-2 weeks away from buying parts and ask for advice then. That way you'll get an up-to-date build list.

$1000 is pretty much what you're going to want to spend for a gaming PC. However, you're just planning way too early. Due to the volatile nature of computer hardware pricing and availability, what's a good deal now may not be a good deal next month. So whatever we recommend this month is more than likely useless as a base for you after a year in next spring. So please come back when you're 1-2 weeks away from buying parts and ask for advice then. That way you'll get an up-to-date build list.

I'm still trying to get a baseline of where I'm at. If I can build a straight streaming rig for ~$500, then i could take that to my promoter and possibly build it prior. Unfortunately, due to said volatile nature, I am way, way out of the loop anymore since the PC market evolves so quickly. Hence, why I'm asking.

I have a rig that works pretty good for gaming, but it's pulling double duty at this point (and is getting dated). I'd prefer not to be lugging it around, so if I could pull something off in a SFF, that would be even better.

I'm still trying to get a baseline of where I'm at. If I can build a straight streaming rig for ~$500, then i could take that to my promoter and possibly build it prior. Unfortunately, due to said volatile nature, I am way, way out of the loop anymore since the PC market evolves so quickly. Hence, why I'm asking.
Unfortunately, without being within 1-3 weeks of purchase, that volatile nature is still going to ensure that you remain out of the loop.

I have a rig that works pretty good for gaming, but it's pulling double duty at this point (and is getting dated). I'd prefer not to be lugging it around, so if I could pull something off in a SFF, that would be even better.
You're using two Black Magic Intensity Pro cards, correct? Do you absolutely need Wifi? If so, you're kinda looking at a normal desktop. While there are USB wireless adapters, IMO, they're not that good in comparison to PCI-E wifi cards since those cards often have significantly larger antennas than USB wireless adapters.

Out of curiosity, what's the specs of your current PC?

Unfortunately, without being within 1-3 weeks of purchase, that volatile nature is still going to ensure that you remain out of the loop.

You're using two Black Magic Intensity Pro cards, correct? Do you absolutely need Wifi? If so, you're kinda looking at a normal desktop. While there are USB wireless adapters, IMO, they're not that good in comparison to PCI-E wifi cards since those cards often have significantly larger antennas than USB wireless adapters.

Out of curiosity, what's the specs of your current PC?
I understand that. And yes, 2. As I'm glancing over things, I'm realizing where it leaves me. It just sucks ass lugging a full size case in and out. I did find some MicroATX cases that may work, however.

Currently I am using a USB one. It's not bad. But, I'm also streaming from a hotspot that is generally no more than ~3 feet away. So, I could upgrade that one.

Back