New rig for gaming, video conversion, etc....

zyonuf79

Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming at the highest settings (Skyrim, Guild Wars 2, Batman: AA, etc.), backing up blu ray to mkv, web browsing

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$900 including taxes and shipping

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Near Jacksonville, FL

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, Motherboard, Blu Ray drive, video card, RAM, CPU cooler...2.1 speaker system if there is room in the budget

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I have a case, power supply, an SSD and hard drives

- Case: Corsair 600TM
- SSD: Crucial 128 GB m4
- Power supply: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

6) Will you be overclocking?
Absolutely

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920 x 1200...26 inch

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Around the 15th of June

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
I would like to have USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Win 7 Pro.....64bit

Build list:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K CPU
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 Intel Z77 ATX Motherboard Combo
RAM: G.Skill Value Series F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
Graphics: eVGA 02G-P4-2670-KR GeForce GTX 670 2GB PCI-E Video Card
Blu-Ray Drive: LG UH12LS29 10X Blu-ray Drive
CPU Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Last edited:
I recommend this:
$380 - Intel Core i5-3570K CPU + MSI Z77A-G45 Intel Z77 ATX Motherboard Combo
$40 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$408 - eVGA 02G-P4-2670-KR GeForce GTX 670 2GB PCI-E Video Card
$51 - LG UH12LS29 10X Blu-ray Drive
$27 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156
----
Total: $906 shipped

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I recommend this:
$380 - Intel Core i5-3570K CPU + MSI Z77A-G45 Intel Z77 ATX Motherboard Combo
$40 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$408 - eVGA 02G-P4-2670-KR GeForce GTX 670 2GB PCI-E Video Card
$51 - LG WUH12LS29 10X Blu-ray Drive
$27 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156
----
Total: $906 shipped

Nice list, except that the BD drive has been deactivated and may no longer be stocked. Of the LG BD drives currently activated at Newegg, the cheapest one costs $87 shipped.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Fixed the link. Thanks for the once-over.

Thanks for that fix. For that price, that BD drive is actually a DVD burner that also reads Blu-ray disks. So, if the OP wants to play Blu-ray movies, he will have to factor in the cost of good Blu-ray player software.

Thanks for that fix. For that price, that BD drive is actually a DVD burner that also reads Blu-ray disks. So, if the OP wants to play Blu-ray movies, he will have to factor in the cost of good Blu-ray player software.

Not looking to play Blu-ray on my computer so I am not worried about Blu-ray software.

Also, thoughts on getting the 212 EVO vs the 212+? Should I open the budget a bit more to get a better heatsink?

Last edited:
Noctua NH-D14 is pretty much on par with many water cooling solutions. Quite a bit more expensive though for little improvement.

Not looking to play Blu-ray on my computer so I am not worried about Blu-ray software.

Also, thoughts on getting the 212 EVO vs the 212+? Should I open the budget a bit more to get a better heatsink?
If you want to get the higher OC possible, then yes I'd recommend opening the budget to get a better HSF. The performance difference between the EVO and the regular 212+ is about 1-3C give or take. Up to you if the extra cost of the EVO is worth it.

If going for the highest OC possible and want one of the air-cooling HSF possible, I'd recommend the Notcua that K1tty recommended.

Not a bad deal actually. Apparently it cools just as well, if not better, as the Noctua we recommended above.

Back