New Racks!

3one5

Gawd
Slowly getting everything into my new racks. I have two 4 post HP racks and an unknown 4 post relay rack. I'm renting a house right now so for the moment these will be in the garage. Later when I get into my own house I have lots of ideas for a room I'm going to put together.

hp-racks_2.jpg

Is the rack on the right 52U?

I have a 52U Cooper B-Line rack (got it for free on craigslist). I don't think 52u is very common so yours might be a Cooper as well.

Very nice, looking for more pics!
Wish I could buy a new cabinet here, I'm just stuck with a regular little 24 unit for my labs.

nice, door open shot ?

Is untangle on a rack mounted unit or a desktop computer ?

J'

nice, door open shot ?

Is untangle on a rack mounted unit or a desktop computer ?

J'

There's not much in there yet. Mainly just the Super Micro 1U Rack Mount box running Untangle. I have two other Super Micro 1U, Super Micro 3U and then another 3U generic rack mount case that need to be racked. I need to grab some caged nuts off eBay so I can get the rest in. I need a bunch of blanks still also to clean it up a little. I may also have some Panduit cable management but I'm waiting to hear back from the guy.

I'll have to look into this being a Cooper rack. I'd really like to find some sides for it.

If there is anyone in the SE WY or NE CO area who needs two post racks, shelves, cable management, etc let me know. I've got a ton of it for sale cheap.

I'll work on getting some better pictures later today.

Here is a 3D rendering of what I would like to do once I get into my own house.

Dream-Room_10.png

The racks would sit in the corner of the largest room behind glass.

Is the rack on the right 52U?

I have a 52U Cooper B-Line rack (got it for free on craigslist). I don't think 52u is very common so yours might be a Cooper as well.

Hey, thanks again man! I just looked at their catalog and I'm almost positive my rack is a Cooper. I believe it's probably their first generation as the current 2nd gen is very similar. The hole patter on the bottom is identical. Lots of other similarities.

Now to figure out what the side panels are going to run. My guess, 3-4 times what I paid for the cabinet.

Here are some better pictures.

rack_1_sm.JPG

rack_2_sm.JPG

rack_3_sm.JPG

rack_4_sm.JPG

rack_5_sm.JPG

I've ordered some mounting hardware so I'll be able to get everything else in sometime next week. I have a buddy who is an Electrician and he is going to help me install a couple 30A receptacles so I can use the PDU's in the racks.

Also some time this week I'm going to run and grab the Panduit wire management hardware. Trying to decide whether or not I want to use the 2 post rack or a 2 post rack for the switches and such.

Someone was asking about rack size. The HP racks are a bit short at 36U. The other rack is just over 7ft tall but I haven't counted how many U it is.

hey man, take a look at neatpatch.com it's the cheaper than as panduit and looks better. Just go to their home page and scroll down.

Nice but why so many racks?

Also, you should run 240v and use it with whatever you can (if you can), because it's more efficient with most power supplies. If you're going to have a lot of stuff then it really becomes important.

Also, you should run 240v and use it with whatever you can (if you can), because it's more efficient with most power supplies. If you're going to have a lot of stuff then it really becomes important.

This. Where are all the servers :p

This. Where are all the servers :p

I'm waiting on the mounting hardware. Then I'll start populating them. I could have gotten away with the 4 post relay rack and 1 server rack but I got a good deal on the two of them :)

I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the info.

The racks would sit in the corner of the largest room behind glass.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but you're single, right? There's no way that would pass the WAF. That's Wife Approval Factor for the uninitiated.

Nice find on the racks though.

I have a decent sized house (all above ground; 2 car garage is for vehicles) but finding a place to store even one of those inside would be a pain in the ass so I'm going with a 37U along a wall behind the couch. I'm interested to see what you plan to fill those with! :D Behind glass? He's single.

Mr Schapman: I would recommend that you look into split-phase wiring for getting 240V at home (that's how dryers, etc are hooked up). Split phase means that you only have 1 phase of power coming in (as opposed to an industrial 3 phase connection), however, the transformer has a grounded center tap, so both sides are at 120v with respect to ground. There is a 240V potential difference between the black and the red wires.

I will try and grab some pictures of my cooper rack (camera has been acting up).

LOL, not single. I have a Wife and 5 kids. My Wife understands that me screwing with this stuff at home means more money in the bank account. She knew she was marrying a nerd :). My Wife puts up with a lot and I love her for it!

LOL, not single. I have a Wife and 5 kids. My Wife understands that me screwing with this stuff at home means more money in the bank account. She knew she was marrying a nerd :). My Wife puts up with a lot and I love her for it!

I have one kid on the way, the rest is the exact same :) I love her for it too!

So the glass enclosure isn't just for looks. ;)
Proper ventilation will be key, but since you'll own the place, that should be easy.
LOL, yeah no doubt! I have a couple of them that I really interested in computers. They were constantly getting into my stuff so I setup some computers for them. Both of them have custom Lian Li cases :)

Here is the rest of the basement designed. This is designed off the dimensions of my current rented basement. So obviously things will probably change when we get into our own place.

Dream-Room_12.png

From left to right
My Room with Servers, kids computer lab, laundry room.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but you're single, right? There's no way that would pass the WAF. That's Wife Approval Factor for the uninitiated.

Nice find on the racks though.

WAF doesn't apply in the basement! Although she complains about the hum from the stairwell lol

Picked up the Panduit wire management and patch panel yesterday. Going to dig around for a spool of Ethernet cable today.

I'll try to get pictures of the wire management in the rack this afternoon.

I received a response from Cooper on the rack. Looks like it is one of theirs but it's a older model. Sent them dimensions and they are supposed to get back with me today about side panels.

Still on the fence about using a 2 post rack instead.

nothing like empty racks! ;)

get some stuff in those budday!

I'm assuming you didn't read the rest of the thread where I posted I'm waiting on mounting hardware. I've got lots to put in. Certainly won't fill them both but I'll have room to grow.

I have 4 1u servers 2 3u servers at this point. I have immediate plans for 3 more 3u racks. I also have plans for battery backups.

Excellent 3d diagram and very well detailed :) So many racks, are you planning on using managed PDU's or just PDU's in them so you don't have to keep going in and out of the racks? I find managed helps alot, when needing a quick reset or need to go offline when either away from home or troubleshooting.

Excellent 3d diagram and very well detailed :) So many racks, are you planning on using managed PDU's or just PDU's in them so you don't have to keep going in and out of the racks? I find managed helps alot, when needing a quick reset or need to go offline when either away from home or troubleshooting.

I'd love to go managed but I'm stuck with whatever I can get second hand. This stuff is far to expensive to be buying new. The two HP racks came with unmanaged PDU's.

What are you using for the diagram? I'd like to play around with some garage/workshop designs.

nice! I want to build myself a rack some time. Right now none of my equipment is rack mount but once I build a rack I will convert everything over time.

And that's a pretty cool render, what app did you use?

I want to add something before - if you get a UPS, it's going to lock you into one specific voltage, so choose wisely. Again, 240v is better, but if you can't do it, you can't do it.

Now although you may be getting it second hand, there is a managed PDU sale on Ebay for 129.90 and second one for $85.00 US, and they have 5. So just in case you ever change your mind and can squeeze even one. :)

Both have NEMA L5-20P main plug connectors, but standard US outlets on them.

8 Outlet:
http://cgi.ebay.com/APC-AP7901-Switch-Power-Strip-Rack-PDU-8-Outlet-7901-/260671527596?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb13bdaac

24 Outlet:
http://cgi.ebay.com/APC-AP7530-Rack-PDU-1-92kVA-120V-24-Outlet-FREE-SHIP-/350375708847?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51940508af

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You could always grab a rack and use shelves. Then slowly convert over to rack mount gear over time.

I got in touch with someone at Cooper / B-line and they were unable to sell me the side panels for the last generation rack that I have. I got the impression that they had them but they were not allowed to sell them. Doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me. I really wanted a rack with sides so I decided to put the Cooper rack aside and use one of my Chatsworth 2 post racks for my network gear.

I had both Chatsworth open wire management and some stuff from Panduit. I went with the the Panduit Wire Management because it looks a lot cleaner.

I have it all racked and wired up just enough to get the Internets back online.

rack_6_sm.JPG

Kind of hard to see but I also racked a couple more 1u servers.

I had both Chatsworth open wire management and some stuff from Panduit. I went with the the Panduit Wire Management because it looks a lot cleaner.

not to hijack your thread, but did you even look at neatpatch.com ? Heres a photo from my wiring closet at work...

patchpanel.jpg

I did and I would have loved to go with them. However I am not buying my stuff new so I'm stuck with what is available surplus.

more thread jackage

DSC_00781.jpg

I love them too! :p

schap, love the cable management... thats one thing that always been lacking for me(vertical).

Back