Samsung Combo Drive 16X DVDRW 52X CDRW IDE
Liteon 16X DVDRW IDE
16 in 1 CardReader
Enermax Noisetaker 485watt PSU
Cheapass case with 2 80MM fans installed
Logitech MX 510 Mouse
Logitech Internet Pro keyboard
Dell Ultrasharp 1905FP 19" monitor

I think I'm at point where the new retail games run like shit. This rig has been overheating lately I suspect the NB chip fan is trying to give out. I plan on getting A new monitor at some point soon. Something like 20 or 22". Here's my wishlist at newegg...http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=9210527. Please advise my proposed new rig! I plan on buying the case and PSU at zipzoomfly and the Q6600 at clubit. What kind of case fans should I get? And how many is enough? And is the CPU and HSF easy to install? I never had a socket 775 before.

First thing you need to do is buy that 8800GT ASAP before it runs out of stock again. Other than that, your build list looks pretty good.

This is one of the best bang for your buck case fans out there:
120mm Yate Loon D12SL-12 Case Fan - $3.50

As for how many is enough, it depends on how your structure the airflow in your case. Some people can get by with just two case fans while others need/want eight. It just depends.

The CPU is easy to install, just follow the instructions. As for the Tuniq, it's gonna be slightly difficult due to the heavier bulk of the HSF but it's doable. Though I recommend going with the Ultima 90 instead since it's smaller and should be easier to install than the Tuniq. And it performs just as well as the Tuniq:
Thermalright Ultima-90 HSF - $46 & Panaflo FBA09A12M 92mm Fan - $3

Though I concur with Abu Som3a, just get a new video card and see if you get any improvements in games. Maybe get a new power supply as well to better support that 8800GT. Clean out your case as well with a can of compressed air to blow out the dust.

If the new video card/PSU upgrade doesn't work well for you, then go for a new build.

I want a Core2 based system to play Bioshock, Crysis, UT3, ect. I think its silly to put more money into an aging rig. I did clean out out my rig with compresed air a couple of weeks ago. I got some dust but its still hot. Keep the suggestions coming :)

I want a Core2 based system to play Bioshock, Crysis, UT3, ect. I think its silly to put more money into an aging rig. I did clean out out my rig with compresed air a couple of weeks ago. I got some dust but its still hot. Keep the suggestions coming :)

Remember that you can reuse the new video card, PSU and/or a new case with better airflow in your new build if it doesn't work out.

Just wait until you can no longer take it. Simple as that.

The X2 4400 isn't exactly old. I just upgraded from a 4400/2 GB RAM to a Core 2 Quad/4 GB RAM about a month ago. Video encoding is much, much faster, but gaming is about the same with my X1900 XT.

Basically, if you're just gaming you will get plenty of performance with a new video card and the same processor.

I have tried to overclock but only can get up to 210 FSB before I get blue screens. I want a Quad Core I made my mind up.

If you're set on the Quad then it looks pretty good. Good power supply choice, but it looks like it's out of stock now.

Whether to wait for the 45nm chips is a tough choice. 45nm chips will run cooler, but we don't know if they will overclock as well. If you order now you'll probably get a good G0 stepping chip. Prices probably will be above MSRP right at launch, too. Plus, if you wait till January, the new Nvidia cards are right around the corner (late February?).:rolleyes: Might as well buy now.

I have tried to overclock but only can get up to 210 FSB before I get blue screens. I want a Quad Core I made my mind up.

You want a quad-core? Get it from ClubIT. It's the only place that guarantees a G0 stepping, which runs cooler (thus allowing more OC headroom) than the B3 stepping. (NewEgg randomly gives buyers G0 stepping Q6600s.)

Buy.com has the Corsair 550VX on sale for $90.

I'm concerned about the Rosewill card reader... I can't find out whether or not it can read SDHC cards (with 4GB or more space). Super Talent has a card reader that supports SDHC... but which memory card types do you have?

Is there any reason that you need/want two DVD burners?

If you need extra fans, or replace the ones already in the case, pick up some Yate Loon fans. SVC has the D12SL-12 (low-speed) fans available for $3 each.

The rest of your setup looks good....

I did go for it...Go to the Ultima 90 with the fan suggested and got some Yate Loon fans. I went the Super Talent card reader too. I have 2 optical drives because I like to make copies of CDs

I did go for it...Go to the Ultima 90 with the fan suggested and got some Yate Loon fans. I went the Super Talent card reader too. I have 2 optical drives because I like to make copies of CDs

Well, did you get the Q6600? And if so, did you get it from NewEgg or from ClubIT?

I got the Q6600 at Clubit, it just got shipped. I can't wait till it comes in!

I have to agree with just getting an 8800GT.

I ended up getting the XFX, because evaga was out of stock. I'll see how it is.

However, I am coming from a Pentium 4 3.2 and 6800GT.

:D

Back