• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

New PSU, getting hard boots

sircuddles

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 10, 2011
Messages
142
I have a 2500k @ 4.2 on an Asus P8P67LE, a 2 week old 780 Ti and a brand new Corsair HX850 PSU.

When I added the 780Ti I did your standard overclocking and found that +230 was a stable core. In Precision I had KBoost off and the added voltage only on .12. Any time I'd go higher on the core, or seemingly any extra speed on the memory, I'd get hard boots. I thought it was weird that GPU OC'ing was causing a complete restart, so I ordered a new PSU since I was using a 650W.

I installed it today and while I was able to get the core up to 260 stable (KBoost on, +Voltage maxed) with Heaven running, any attempt to play BF4 was met with crashes during load. Skyrim worked OK, though I only loaded it for a minute.

I've set everything back to where it was before the PSU install, and I'm still getting hard boots. Anyone have any idea what might be the cause of this? GPU is at +230/+0 and +.12, same as it was before. I'm really at a loss for what's going on here :(
 
So the video card is at stock voltages and such?
 
So the video card is at stock voltages and such?

It's at stock voltage now, same overclock as it has been the past 1.5 weeks with no problems. During games the card is topping out at 73c. Nothing has changed except the PSU, so I'm pretty confused. I got hard boots in Skyrim and BF4 within 20 mins.
 
Can't seem to find the source of the issue. Double checked all the plugs, still crashing during games. I've noticed that before when I was OC'ing too far and crashing (with the old PSU), the computer would just instantly reset. Since the new PSU, the screen just freezes instead and I have to manually reboot.

CPU temps don't go above 75c and GPU doesn't go above 73c. I don't get how installing a new PSU suddenly causes crashes, doesn't make any sense to me.
 
Could you be having line voltage issues? Perhaps a loose neutral wire? You would be surprised how often this comes up on my service calls, also neutral and hot reversed.
 
Could you be having line voltage issues? Perhaps a loose neutral wire? You would be surprised how often this comes up on my service calls, also neutral and hot reversed.

Sorry, but do you mean in the PSU or in the wall of my house? I never had hard boots before the new video card/PSU, and I was using a 580 which I think pulls a decent amount.
 
In the walls. Just trying to eliminate the cheap easy to fix stuff from all the variables.

I fought a freeze up with occasional hard boots on an AMD HD7970 card a few months ago, turned out to be a combination of driver and bios updates that fixed it completely. Although you are only running one GPU, the motherboard you have was targeted to AMD Xfire with no nVidia SLI support so it may not well support that card. Do you have any other pcie slots being used, especially the shared pcie 1 slot as that might cause a conflict?
 
Last edited:
In the walls. Just trying to eliminate the cheap easy to fix stuff from all the variables.

I fought a freeze up with occasional hard boots on an AMD HD7970 card a few months ago, turned out to be a combination of driver and bios updates that fixed it completely. Although you are only running one GPU, the motherboard you have was targeted to AMD Xfire with no nVidia SLI support so it may not well support that card. Do you have any other pcie slots being used, especially the shared pcie 1 slot as that might cause a conflict?

The only thing in there is the 780 Ti and a NIC card, which is in the very bottom slot. I should also note that my CPU is set to Auto voltage and is using 1.38v... which seems high. Temps don't go past 75c so it may be inconsequential. I will try the BIOS update, looks like there have been some newer ones since I last updated.

Thanks for your help by the way, dropping $900 on this card and the PSU only to get hard boots has been pretty frustrating.
 
1.38 yes, on the builds I've done this year that is about the voltage I have seen with auto and offset. I think it is too high for a 24/7 OC also, so I always end up clearing cmos and reapplying a manual OC with fixed voltages. Still it has been hard to hold a decent OC below 1.3 volts.
 
1.38 yes, on the builds I've done this year that is about the voltage I have seen with auto and offset. I think it is too high for a 24/7 OC also, so I always end up clearing cmos and reapplying a manual OC with fixed voltages. Still it has been hard to hold a decent OC below 1.3 volts.

I've just installed the newest BIOS and reset all the settings back to where it was.

As far as the CPU, I have it set to Auto with no offset and it goes close to 1.4v, always has. This is obviously a problem, but it's been that way for 2 years. I put it down to 4 Ghz and with Prime 95 up it's pulling 1.36v, but temps are staying around 73c (ACF 13 on there).

Just doesn't make any sense to me that a new PSU causes hard boots. Nothing else changed between now and 4 days ago when I wasn't getting hard boots and everything was fine. I plan on getting a new CPU/Mobo in the future, but that's a few months out, would like to be able to actually play games without crashing during that time.
 
I was going to make a new thread, but I'm still having the same issue so I figured I'd just bump this (if that's not OK just let me know and I can make a new thread).

I brought my CPU down to 4.0 Ghz and it still pulls 1.36v under Prime95 and temps hover between 75c and 83c. My 780 Ti is set to default voltage and +210 core, nothing on the memory. I still get random resets while playing BF4 and even overnight sometimes (I've had 2 since this post).

I'd really like to find out what's causing this issue as... well, having a PC that randomly resets during game sessions is pretty annoying. At first I thought it was the 780 Ti, but I've never heard of people getting hard resets when OCing video cards, it's always display driver crashes.

I really don't know what is causing this. I feel like hard resets are almost always PSU related, but this HX850 should be able to handle a CPU even at 1.36v and a 780 Ti without blinking.
 
If you are satisfied that clean power is being supplied to your PSU then you might try disabling Anti Surge Support in the Bios settings, for the purposes of testing.
 
If you are satisfied that clean power is being supplied to your PSU then you might try disabling Anti Surge Support in the Bios settings, for the purposes of testing.

I'm not sure how to properly test my outlet. Also what would disabling Anti Surge help me test?
 
I have an older version of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instru...1389669302&sr=8-4&keywords=Sperry+Instruments

and an old B&K VTVM that I use for basic testing. If I need to go further I have an antique Weston AC meter with paper graph and I also have an O-scope here somewhere, though I haven't needed to use either of them in years.

There is a case where the Asus Anti Surge Support can cause problems by interpreting a rapid change in motherboard current as a surge, such as might be experienced when the motherboard comes out of a sleep state or a rapid rise or drop in current demand during gaming.

After rereading this thread and some of your other threads I don't think your new power supply is clamping but it is still a possibility which is why I asked about the quality of power available to your PSU.

There is also the possibility that you are battling multiple problems so you need to be methodical in your approach, Make absolutely sure that all the psu cables are properly seated especially the 6+2 PCIe to the GPU. Reset Cmos to kill any overclock settings to the motherboard. Make sure your GPU is at the original settings and running on the drivers supplied with the card.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I disabled anti surge support and still had 2 shutdowns just now during BF4 (both on the first map which is odd, usually it takes 2-3). I also moved the computer plug, which was going directly into the wall socket, onto the powerstrip (which is in the same wall socket, but the other hole), still got a reset. Would plugging into another wall socket (via an extension cord) be worth trying?

I've done a CMOS reset and even tried different PCIe power cables (yay modular), but to no avail. This problem is odd to me since since it only started when I installed the 780 Ti. Before I had a 580 that ran a hefty OC for 2 years and I'd never had a hard boot like that.

Another quirk is that I do have a few USB ports (1 or 2) on my motherboard that are 'dirty', I guess I would say. If I plug my headphones into them, they give off a lot of static and if my mouse is plugged in to them it moves on it's own. Maybe this mobo is just on it's way out and the hard resets are part of that.
 
Well you've eliminated anti surge support from the list of possibilities.

Your last statement about your mouse indicates that you may have a problem with the wiring in your house. You could use a quality 12 ga. extension cord as long as the total length of wire in the wall plus the extension cord does not exceed 75'.

You would need to plug into a circuit that is not the same as the one you are plugged into now.

The other possibilities are failing motherboard or defective PSU. You could examine the motherboard for bulged/leaking capacitors.

It would help if you could describe the "hard reset" better.
 
Well you've eliminated anti surge support from the list of possibilities.

Your last statement about your mouse indicates that you may have a problem with the wiring in your house. You could use a quality 12 ga. extension cord as long as the total length of wire in the wall plus the extension cord does not exceed 75'.

You would need to plug into a circuit that is not the same as the one you are plugged into now.

The other possibilities are failing motherboard or defective PSU. You could examine the motherboard for bulged/leaking capacitors.

It would help if you could describe the "hard reset" better.

I don't know if the plugs nearby are connected so I'm not sure I'd be able to test that. My wife's PC (beside this one on a diff. socket) has never had a problem nor did this one until recently.

The mouse problem only has to do with a few select USB ports on the mobo. There are 1 or 2 that if I plug something into them, they behave as if there's noise in the line. The mouse will move randomly, or in the case of my headset, I get static. I also recently fried my mouse. I sat down at my PC after having got a drink and was carrying some static (not an excessive amount at all) and when I touched my mouse I got a larger than normal shock. My mouse completely stopped working at that point. The lights no longer turn on, it's just dead (Razer Naga). I'm not sure if that's related as I did see via Google searches that people have had that happen before, I had never seen it.

My PSU is a brand new HX850 and I've checked the rails in the BIOS and they all seemed OK, not sure what else I'd be able to check.

Regarding the reset, it seems to happen more in BF4 than anything else. About 2-3 maps (1 hr?) into a playing session, the PC will just shut off. No BSOD, no errors, it just turns off. It powers back up ~2s later as normal and gives me the 'Windows shut down unexpectedly' screen when coming back up. I've also, 3 times now, come downstairs in the morning to it having reset itself.

Thanks a lot for the help by the way, I know this kind of issue is obscure and hard to pin down. This was happening even with my old PSU (650W Antec random thing) which is why I got the HX850, but the problem has persisted.
 
So basically 3 problems that are not necessarily related;

1. USB problem. Could be wiring or grounding, is the issue only on the case mounted USB plugs? You could try running naked to see if it is a case/motherboard grounding/shorting issue.

2. Sleep/Hibernate hard reset. Google is your friend here, a lot of people have solved similar problems, but there doesn't seem to be "one" solution. I've got this problem on one computer, I didn't like the solution so I turned off all sleep/hibernate functions in the OS and disabled some C states in the Bios.

3. BF4 on a 780 ti hard reset. There are members in this forum that are working through issues with BF4 now. Apparently it is a memory intensive game and takes a good bit of tweaking to make it work on older systems. Your card is also the latest and might need some work to get it stable with your configuration of motherboard and cpu. I don't see any point in OC'ing it out of the box as it is unlikely to be your bottleneck point in BF4. Search the appropriate forums here for more info.

I don't think your 3 problems are related so pick one and solve it first.
 
Back
Top