WD Easystore External Discussion

Well...great. I just spent $300 on a 1TB M.2 SSD..and I see this.

Oh well, I'll just plug this into the ESXi server and let it share so much data I'll actually keep running backups rather than intermittent ones. I'll have to space to not care...and now I can take the 400GB that was being used for file storage and put that towards more VMs!

Very good deal, I picked it up, followed the posted PDF instruction and was able to take the case apart with no issue.

I can confirmed that it is a red drive. WD80EFZX

Thanks guys!

I freaking hate BestBuy for this crap!!

I ordered the drive the other day, and they jumped from 2 day to 12 days for shipping after I ordered. Annoying, but not a huge deal since I'm not in a rush. All the nearby stores were out of stock, so I was going to wait.

I ended up going today to a Best Buy much further away for an unrelated errand. I stopped in, and they had the drive in stock. So I got them to give me the online price. Woohoo, problem solved, right?

Wrong. I called when I got home to cancel the online order. They said it can not be cancelled. It won't even SHIP by their system for another 7-8 days, but they can't cancel the order. They want me to let it ship, then return it to a local store, or ship it back to them for a refund. WTF? How can you NOT cancel an order that far in advance? I could see it if it was shipping today, since it's already being processed. But seriously?

This is exactly why I usually stick with Amazon. They've never given me this kind of BS. Screw BestBuy.

I ordered the drive the other day, and they jumped from 2 day to 12 days for shipping after I ordered. Annoying, but not a huge deal since I'm not in a rush. All the nearby stores were out of stock, so I was going to wait.

I ended up going today to a Best Buy much further away for an unrelated errand. I stopped in, and they had the drive in stock. So I got them to give me the online price. Woohoo, problem solved, right?

Wrong. I called when I got home to cancel the online order. They said it can not be cancelled. It won't even SHIP by their system for another 7-8 days, but they can't cancel the order. They want me to let it ship, then return it to a local store, or ship it back to them for a refund. WTF? How can you NOT cancel an order that far in advance? I could see it if it was shipping today, since it's already being processed. But seriously?

This is exactly why I usually stick with Amazon. They've never given me this kind of BS. Screw BestBuy.
I'd send a tweet to Best Buy as well as post on their facebook page (and DM them on there too).

That is fucking crazy... what an ass-backwards way of doings things...

I'll give it a shot, but I'm not confident they'll do anything.

Price is back up to $249. Pretty sure you could sell it to someone in this thread rather than returning it. Would rather deal with the good folks of [H] :)

Price is back up to $249. Pretty sure you could sell it to someone in this thread rather than returning it. Would rather deal with the good folks of [H] :)

That's another option. I'm going to be out of town when the box arrives, so I'll have to wait until I get back to do anything.

Got 4 of these last time it went on sale. Thanks OP. Within a week of receiving them, 2 of my drives in the server failed. Perfect timing . lol

I suspect these will go on sale again. They went to 299 for a week or so then back to 179.

Side note: I can't decide if these are sold at a loss (seems unlikely given how long they've been on sale and that htey're available on line) or if the markup on HD's is much higher than we usually see on H/W. I mean sure the standalone drives' warranty is 3 vs 2 years, but that's not 100 bucks (and honestly if it lasts 2 years, it'll probably last 5 or more).

I suspect these will go on sale again. They went to 299 for a week or so then back to 179.

Side note: I can't decide if these are sold at a loss (seems unlikely given how long they've been on sale and that htey're available on line) or if the markup on HD's is much higher than we usually see on H/W. I mean sure the standalone drives' warranty is 3 vs 2 years, but that's not 100 bucks (and honestly if it lasts 2 years, it'll probably last 5 or more).

I think they're being sold at very low or no margin for WD to fill a gap in their product line. They want a "consumer" grade external at 8TB, and it's cheaper to use these drives than to make an 8TB WD Blue/Green. That's my guess anyway, and the warranty change is just to try and recoup some of the difference in the long term.

The real problem with these 8TB drives, especially if you buy a bunch of them, is trying to fill them up with stuff you actually want to keep. Just one single 8TB drives holds more than 3000 1080p h.264 movies. There is no way anyone can actually use all of the data these can hold. Even if you stream videos/tv shows/music to every TV in the house, and say you have 5 TV's, it will take more than a lifetime for people to watch all of the content they can hold on a few of these 8TB drives...

There is no way anyone can actually use all of the data these can hold.

And yet I bought 2.. Although these are for snapraid parity and the data disks in the array have more than 12TB on them currently. Whether or not my wife and I will watch all the 7000+ hours of recorded programming that exists on the drives is a different matter. I am currently mostly watching a series I recorded in 2014.

The real problem with these 8TB drives, especially if you buy a bunch of them, is trying to fill them up with stuff you actually want to keep. Just one single 8TB drives holds more than 3000 1080p h.264 movies. There is no way anyone can actually use all of the data these can hold. Even if you stream videos/tv shows/music to every TV in the house, and say you have 5 TV's, it will take more than a lifetime for people to watch all of the content they can hold on a few of these 8TB drives...

SMFH. How you personally use or don't use data storage is not the same as everyone else.

I could more than fill the two I got just by backing up my current stuff. It actually takes an extra pair of 4TB's to fully back up all my data. Granted I have a lot of redundancy in general. IE multiple drives portions of the same data.

=_= that cancelled order charge from over 7 days ago is still not gone. Wtf. Am I gonna have to step in soon...

I bought 10 and have around 60TB of free space now... It's going to be very difficult to actually use this space before the drives die. I didn't really think having too much storage would ever be a problem

I would have been tempted to consider that QNAP that went on sale, but I had picked up an 1817+ and started migrating to it just before that.

I currently have 5 of these 8TB drives in there, plus a pair of Intel 180GB SATA SSD's as cache. I have the last 8TB drive I bought in my workstation with iTunes on it, but I'll swing that over soon. Wishing I had the flexibility to do NVme SSD cache AND 10G networking instead of either/or.

I'm currently at 18.1TB used out of 20.9TB total using SHR2.

I don't know. Between Video, Audio and various downloaded installers, I've used 5.6TB of my first 8TB drive. Granted, I could delete a lot of older things that I probably won't watch again, but I've got plenty of DVDs and blu rays that I haven't ripped to the server and if I ever move to UHD (and ripping them is possible), that's probably going to be 60GB for the movie alone...more if I just made an ISO.

I get where you're coming from, but a lot can happen in 5-7 years (and most of my drives last that long).

I would have been tempted to consider that QNAP that went on sale, but I had picked up an 1817+ and started migrating to it just before that.

I currently have 5 of these 8TB drives in there, plus a pair of Intel 180GB SATA SSD's as cache. I have the last 8TB drive I bought in my workstation with iTunes on it, but I'll swing that over soon. Wishing I had the flexibility to do NVme SSD cache AND 10G networking instead of either/or.

I'm currently at 18.1TB used out of 20.9TB total using SHR2.

I bought my 16-bay QNAP TS-1635 right before I discovered these 8TB drives. My original plan was to get 4TB REDs for the QNAP as they had the lowest $ per TB at the time. Then I went overboard with 10x 8TB drives not even thinking if I'll be able to actually use all of the storage. I would have to download/create 36GB every single day for 5 years to fill up the remaining 60TB of free space I have now which definitely won't happen.

I don't know. Between Video, Audio and various downloaded installers, I've used 5.6TB of my first 8TB drive. Granted, I could delete a lot of older things that I probably won't watch again, but I've got plenty of DVDs and blu rays that I haven't ripped to the server and if I ever move to UHD (and ripping them is possible), that's probably going to be 60GB for the movie alone...more if I just made an ISO.

I get where you're coming from, but a lot can happen in 5-7 years (and most of my drives last that long).

Once you get into your 40's (if you're not already there) you will find it hard(er) to appreciate UHD for video. Also, 4K movies/video h.265 compressed with quality bias doesn't need to be much larger than 5-6gb each. UHD is great for a monitor. I use two 40" 4K displays + 1 vertical 1080P display for my workstation; however, I personally don't get much benefit from watching 4K 2160p movies vs. 2k 1080p movies (maybe with younger eyes).

IMG_3779.JPG

Once you get into your 40's (if you're not already there) you will find it hard(er) to appreciate UHD for video. Also, 4K movies/video h.265 compressed with quality bias doesn't need to be much larger than 5-6gb each. UHD is great for a monitor. I use two 40" 4K displays + 1 vertical 1080P display for my workstation; however, I personally don't get much benefit from watching 4K 2160p movies vs. 2k 1080p movies (maybe with younger eyes).

View attachment 27588
I"m older than that, but I think the reason for UHD goes beyond resolution. UHD has a wider gamut and most now come with HDR/Dolby Vision for increased dynamic range. Also, I tend to like being relatively close to screens. My ideal location in a theater is where the screen pretty much takes up my entire field of view. On a 75" TV, I'd prefer to be 6' away (even though often I'm stuck at 12').

Regardless, I'm not worried about having too much storage. Over the last 10 years i always think I have too much and somehow I always fill it up. Also, this means that going forward, I could just rip an ISO of a blu ray (or if s/w allows UHD disks) without compressing to a MKV (though I'm not sure that that'd be very convenient with Kodi. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to get Kodi to automatically convert DD+, or the DTS equivalent, on my PC to to DD or DTS. It's strange that it doesn't, while MS's windows 10 player does it by default.

What? No. I have a hell of a lot more than 8TB of data on my NAS, and I assure you that:

a) it's all been used / viewed
b) I'm still alive

Your numbers are more in-line with an h.265 encode, in my experience.

I'm the opposite, and definitely over 40. My near vision requires significant assistance now, but my distance isn't affected by age. I find 4K monitors to be detrimental, given that they require additional GPU for benefits that largely don't exist for me. On the TV though, 4K and HDR have been amazing additions.

In my case, I'm a digital pack rat. Plus archiving most of my photography takes up lot of space. This past 2 weekends, I shot around 120 GB worth. Not to mention when you add post processing to the image, which can double to triple if not more the original file size. So it's not that difficult to fill these up.

I'm a pack rat too. Don't delete stuff ever. I don't like to re-compress my movies, so that means each BRD title consumes between 10 and 50GB. I have a 84" 4K display and re-compressed titles don't look nearly as good as the originals.

So I got a decent number of bits on my main volume:

volume.JPG

I'm currently using 24 6TB REDs in a 2x12 RAID60 and will likely add another 12 by the end of the year and make it a 3x12 RAID60.

raidsets.JPG

And the disks:

disks.JPG

I also have a backup server that I sync against the main server once every few weeks. It currently has 60 x 2TB drives and 12 x 4TB drives.

There is no such thing as too much storage... ;)

These $180 for the 8TB Reds are driving down the pricing on the 6TB Reds. Currently running about $140 if you look around.

I'm the opposite, and definitely over 40. My near vision requires significant assistance now, but my distance isn't affected by age. I find 4K monitors to be detrimental, given that they require additional GPU for benefits that largely don't exist for me. On the TV though, 4K and HDR have been amazing additions.

About 6 months ago I needed to start wearing reading glasses @ 1.5x to see close objects clearly. I use 40" 4K monitors which have around the same DPI that a typical 20" 1080P monitor has. The extra desktop space is great for having multiple full page PDFs open, as well as multiple 100+ line text editors for writing code and a couple web browsers, and email all visible without constantly shuffling things around. 40" 4K is great for productivity and you don't need a GPU unless you want to run games but I don't.

About 6 months ago I needed to start wearing reading glasses @ 1.5x to see close objects clearly. I use 40" 4K monitors which have around the same DPI that a typical 20" 1080P monitor has. The extra desktop space is great for having multiple full page PDFs open, as well as multiple 100+ line text editors for writing code and a couple web browsers, and email all visible without constantly shuffling things around. 40" 4K is great for productivity and you don't need a GPU unless you want to run games but I don't.

The reading glasses thing sucks. I miss not needing them.

I'm using a 34" 3440x1440 right now for everything. I'd go even bigger and wider aspect ratio, but need at least 1440 vertical. I do game on it, so it's a good middle ground.

My 8TB just arrived, and amazingly, did not get rained on.

EFAX, which shows as a red with a 256MB cache. I haven't bothered shucking it to see where it's made yet; is there any way to tell without tearing it apart? I actually plan on keeping it in the external enclosure, and using USB passthrough within ESXi, since my server's half the size of the enclosure.

damn, gotta get these next time around.
Me too. Every time this deal comes around, I just am about to or I just have spent a lot of money on something else so I can't just buy 2-4 of these. I bet this deal comes around just as I have the cash and I am about to buy my new rig components lol.

My 8TB just arrived, and amazingly, did not get rained on.

EFAX, which shows as a red with a 256MB cache. I haven't bothered shucking it to see where it's made yet; is there any way to tell without tearing it apart? I actually plan on keeping it in the external enclosure, and using USB passthrough within ESXi, since my server's half the size of the enclosure.

Look on the outside of the cardboard package (bottom). It will say Made in China or Made in Thailand.

This makes me wonder if this is just a case of where they are assembled vs where the drives are made. Does WD have 2 places making these helium drives?

The real problem with these 8TB drives, especially if you buy a bunch of them, is trying to fill them up with stuff you actually want to keep.
We get used to having everything available; Netflix, amazon prime, youtube, daily motion, torrents, etc.. Then when we go back to watch it, it's gone; copyright holder took it down. Which is why I grab anything I MIGHT want to watch down the line sometime, and store it. And that takes lots of cheap space. LOTS.

Higher and higher definition means mostly crap. A great show is still great on a 9" black and white TV, and you'll still enjoy watching it, hence all the people watching videos on their phones. OTOH, a crappy movie with tons of stuff blowing up in 4K is still a crappy movie that you keep getting off the couch to do something other than watch that dreck. Every year during the superbowl, one of my idiot friends sits and points out how marvelous it is that we can see the blades of grass on the field 'IN HD'; he's not paying attention to the game, he's examining the friggin' grass. Same with the surround sound nutcases. If you're watching a movie and can't enjoy it because the sound isn't quite right for you, then the movie sucks anyway. Great writing makes you forget you're watching a movie screen; it sucks you in and you actually think the actors are in front of you.

Crappy plots makes you want to count pixels instead of paying attention to the story, and no matter how great the resolution, it's still going to suck.

Got a 2 TB dying in my HTPC, could use one of these eventually. Not really hurting for space yet, though.

The best part of being a BestBuy employee, is my discount. This "sale" is normal for me :p

Back