• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New PC

Nolimit

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 22, 2008
Messages
77
After long time I am finally buying new PC so I want it to be great.
I don't really want some super high end, just some good PC.
Well beside gaming I'll use it for usual stuff, internet, movies etc

So this is what I came up with so far so please advice what to change and if I forgot something what to add...


MB: No idea which one. I want some that supports DDR3, that i can run crossfire(not must) in and that doesn't suck lol

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor good one? Or maybe something faster?

GC: ATi 4870; replace with X2 version when out.

Memory: 2x2GB DDR3. Dunno which, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146777 maybe?

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive x2 in raid 0. good?

Optical drive: SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM - good enough?

Audio: HT OMEGA CLARO Plus+ 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card maybe?

PC case: Can't decide really. I want some nice one which won't catch on fire lol or heat up too much, here are some choices:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133021
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119103

Power suply: ENERMAX Galaxy EGX1000EWL 1000W good one? Or I should change for some less powerful if I don't need this one?


Monitor: BenQ G2400WD current choice

Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Max Burst Power: 200 watts Don't need anything better.

UPS: I don't really know much about UPS so please advise http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=72&name=UPS

Mouse: Razer lachesis

Keyboard: Need advice here too. Got G15 atm on this pc. good keyboard but i barely ever use any functions on it. tarantula by razer is just meh... something else?


Any part I forgot ?
Comments and advices most welcome :D

Edit: Some more details:

Budget: Don't know really, few thousands $ 3000-4000, wouldn't mind PC being less though :)
Gonna buy from newegg or from some other website. I'm(will) be located in Overland Park, KS.
Not really into overclocking and won't probably unless I really need it.
I want PC to last as long as possible, lol. Of course I'll update it when some major things come out :)

Oh and gonna use Vista.
 
You don't need DDR3 RAM; it doesn't offer any significant performance increase for the money. You could go with either a P45-based board like the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R, which supports dual x8 CrossFire or an X48 board that supports DDR2 memory like the GA-X48-DS4, which supports dual x16 CrossFire.

For overclocking the Q9450 (or, if you wait a few weeks for the price drops, the Q9550), all you need is a 4GB dual channel kit of DDR2 1000 RAM. However, you'll definitely need a better HSF like the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 (and its retention bracket).

Your choices for an optical drive and hard drives are fine. As for the video card, VisionTek has the best warranty and customer service out of all the AMD/ATI card vendors.

The Corsair TX750 PSU can power a two-card CrossFire setup. Get it from either Provantage or Buy.com.

Onboard sound has progressed to the point that it's good enough for most users. Try it out first, and then consider a sound card if you're otherwise dissatisfied.

Vista Home Premium is all that you really need. Get the 64-bit version, so you have full access to your memory. (For the long story, check out the FAQ/sticky at the first page.)

Cases and peripherals are a subjective matter, but your choices look fine. If anything, check out other retailers -- like Provantage, ZipZoomFly, and SVC (for cases) -- to see if you could get some of these items for less. (Or, you could attempt a Google search....)
 
Really? Thought DDR3 was better hmm.
Even so, I'd like MB(if possible) that supports it because it will be better for future, right?
I don't really know how crossfire works lol and if I'll need it. I'll just put 1 ati 4870 and 4870x2 when it's out. Probably won't go for 2 cards.

And about CPU. I'll move in 9 days and I plan to order PC right away. Maybe I should go for Q9650. As I said I probably won't ever try to overclock.
Will do with sound card. Actually on this PC I'm using integrated one and no problems.

I was planning to get Vista Ultimate x86. I don't know hmm 64 doesn't seem like its worth it. A lot of programs, games, drives and stuff wont work(probably). I know I can't use full 4gb with 32bit but hmm, don't really want 64bit one.

Thanks for great post btw :)
Gonna update my config in a bit.


Also another thing. I'll be moving to place I mentioned in first post and I won't know anyone there who can help me with building PC hmm. I'm not sure if I can do it myself, watching some videos now and I'm probably gonna screw something up QQ
Also if I manage to get it all together don't know how to install windows on new HDD ( googleing atm). Hmm, how much does it cost to get everything built? Not from USA so don't know how much they usually charge there. Here, not much...
Oh and I already have windows dvd with me but hmm its "special"... lol

-

So far:


MB: GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard Doesn't seem to have warranty though

CPU: Intel Q9450 probably.

GC: ATi 4870; replace with X2 version when out.

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive x2 in raid 0. good?

Optical drive: SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM - good enough?

PC case: Can't decide really. I want some nice one which won't catch on fire lol or heat up too much, here are some choices:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133021
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119103

Power suply: [Corsair TX 750W ATX 12V Power Supply Don't need more powerful one?


Monitor: BenQ G2400WD

Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Max Burst Power: 200 watts Don't need anything better.

UPS: I don't really know much about UPS so please advise http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=72&name=UPS

Mouse: Razer lachesis

Keyboard: Need advice here too. Got G15 atm on this pc. good keyboard but i barely ever use any functions on it. tarantula by razer is just meh... something else?

^ should I buy that big HSF? Looks too big hmm, maybe something smaller?
 
you wont really be building too much of a 'future' computer, as the new intel line starts up in September and isn't 775 socket
 
Support for DDR3 RAM is moot since A) Current DDR3 RAM has not shown to provide a performance increase with current Intel C2D CPUs and B) the future faster DDR3 RAM that *might* provide a performance increase will not be supported at all by current Intel motherboards. In addition, both AMD and Intel are switching to new sockets later this year. Intel's new sockets will not be compatible with current Intel CPUs and AMD has had a spotty record of backwards compatiblity with their sockets and CPUs.

So basically, your CPU, RAM, and motherboard, no matter which one you choose, is more or less a dead end with no viable upgrade path. But at least the graphics card, sound card and other expansion cards should be safe.

A lot of programs, games, and hardware do work well with Vista 64bit. And there's a ton of guides in the FAQ:

Read the stickied FAQ. It was written for people like you who are new to building their own PCs.

Case-wise, I'm partial to the COSMOS and Armor cases. Stay with the Xigmatek HSF. It will fit into most cases out there.
 
Didn't know they'll come out in September :s

Maybe I should just buy some cheap laptop for start and wait until september when new things come out ?

Oh and I've read stickies and I'm still not all that confident in my abilities lol.

So what do you guys reckon, should I just wait 2-3 more months until new motherboards and CPUs come out or... ?
 
So what do you guys reckon, should I just wait 2-3 more months until new motherboards and CPUs come out or... ?

The new Nehalem CPUs and motherboards are going to be expensive. Especially since they are new launch items. We're talking $1000 for just the motherboard and CPU alone. Maybe you might be able to squeeze in DDR3 RAM in that $1000 but that's still pretty expensive.

I don't like to say this but there might be quirks with the newly launched CPUs and motherboard that weren't ironed out during testing. So you might be beta-testing the hardware as well.

But at least the Nehalem CPUs and motherboards should offer a broader upgrade path than Intel's soon to be dead socket 775. In addition the new Nehalem CPUs, according to early previews, are at least 20% faster clock for clock than current Intel C2Ds.

So the best advice I can offer is this: Wait until you can no longer wait and then buy. Though do note that, besides the CPU, RAM, and motherboard, you can reuse just about any part from current PCs in the new Nehalem systems.
 
Up to you really. It'll most likely cost you more than a current gen pc. Depends on your patience lol
 
QQ

Now it comes down to wait ~half of year or buy something now that won't last that long hmm.

Hmm gotta think this through.

But I think my safest bet would be to buy laptop now(macbook) and use it for few months and see how things go...
 
QQ

Now it comes down to wait ~half of year or buy something now that won't last that long hmm.

Hmm gotta think this through.

But I think my safest bet would be to buy laptop now(macbook) and use it for few months and see how things go...

If you perform periodic maintenance and upkeep (including upgrading your video card from time to time), your setup could last you several years. If you can find something now that suits your needs, you don't need to wait for the next "latest and greatest."
 
My needs huh hmm.
Game I play most is WoW I guess and it doesn't take much to run it, but also I play a lot of other games( Gears of War, COD4, CSS, Rhodan) and well whatever comes out and I like :) got bioshock and crysis waiting for new pc hmm.

I could just buy macbook since I'll probably need laptop anyway and use it until ~new year and new stuff will be out and tested until then right ? :)
 
I could just buy macbook since I'll probably need laptop anyway and use it until ~new year and new stuff will be out and tested until then right ? :)

According to current rumors/speculation, the mainstream (i.e cheaper) Nehalem CPUs and motherboards won't be out till Q2 2009 or Q3 2009. Then again no one expected the launch date of the Nehalem CPUs to be out in September (Current speculation was December). So that launch date may change.

But most of the quirks, if any, should be worked out by then.
 
Your MacBook wouldn't be able to play any of those games (save for WoW) well, if at all.

You could build a decent rig right now for $750-$1000 -- based off one of the newer P45-based boards -- that can play those games. (How well those games play will depend largely on the video card and the monitor resolution.) As Danny mentioned, there are no set dates for when the Nehalem-based components will arrive -- or whether or not they will have any bugs.

But, historically, very few people change the main components -- specifically, the processor and the motherboard -- of their system once they buy it. (Though we talk about changing those -- a lot -- here, we're actually in the minority.) And right now, there are very few programs and games that are optimized for a quad core processor -- so while the Socket 775 may be dying, quad core computing is still a relatively new concept (figuratively speaking).

If you can wait a while longer, fine... but don't use Nehalem as the "reason" why it's not worth building a computer now.
 
eh, don't be fooled into nehalem, the processor itself might cost "only" $200, but 4 gigs of DDR3, and an X58 motherboard will run you over $600 minimum just for those core components.

seeing as how you've got triades and dannybui in here I'm sure theres already alot of good advice, but I will say this:

Nolimit said:
Not really into overclocking and won't probably unless I really need it.

Not going to win you too many fans on the Hardware Over-Clockers Comparison (HOCP) Forums! If you are going to hang around on these forums eventually your going to overclock (Its just a given, its honest to god totally free performance, theres nothing immoral about it, and its got a whole (insane) community around it). Based on that, and I might get called crazy, I suggest a DFI P45 board. A friend of mine recently bought one and said even with everything on auto it took his Q6600 further than his Asus Blitz. Going with the DFI P45 board gives you all the grow room you'll ever need.

One of the major reasons to get the Q9450 over everything else is that its the cheapest full cache 45nm quad core available, making it the prime target of the serious overclocks (we're cheap, intel wants us to pay through our noses for an unlocked multiplier, John Pinette said it best: "Nay-nay"). a Q9450 and a P45 board (from DFI or otherwise) puts you in a great position at stock speeds and is a great starter into learning, and getting, huge performance gains from OCs
--what am I PR? nuff of that...
edit: I just finished watching "thank you for smoking", thats whats doing it.

Ditch DDR3, I'm sure thats been said (twice), but I'll just re-inforce it: there's minute performance improvements from going with DDR3 over DDR2. By ditching you shave a couple hundred bucks off your total cost and can put it toward a more powerful graphics card.

Dont think its a good idea to buy one card and ditch it for another. Buy an HD4870, and Crossfire it later if you want the performance gains. The chipset that your going to be going with supports 8X 8X crossfire by default, so its a good idea. I strongly suggest to anyone whos going out of their way (as in an extra $20 or soemthing) to get crossfire support for "putting a 2nd card in later", dont bother, odds are extrodinarily likely you wont ever be using both those slots.

I'm not going to make any spicific recomendations, but I am going to say you want: P45, DDR2 800 (cas 4 is a good idea), or DDR2 1066, a Q9450, some kind of aftermarket cooler, and a WD 640GB, or perhalps a couple.
 
Thanks for great answer <3

Now I want to buy PC again hehe( changing decisions like underwear :D).

What I meant about overclocking is that I never really needed it. Sure I'd do it but if most stuff I do doesn't requires it why do it :)

Gonna edit post and update config later ;)
 
MB: ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Q9450

GC: ATi 4870; replace with X2 version when out.

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive x2 in raid 0. good?

Optical drive: SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM - good enough?

PC case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138


Power suply: Corsair TX 750W ATX 12V Power Supply Don't need more powerful one?


Monitor: BenQ G2400WD

Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Max Burst Power: 200 watts Don't need anything better.


Mouse: Razer lachesis

Keyboard: Need advice here too. Got G15 atm on this pc. good keyboard but i barely ever use any functions on it. tarantula by razer is just meh... something else?


HSV: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler + http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233019

Floppy: SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model

Raid controllers: I have no idea, please advise :( http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=410&name=Controllers-RAID-Cards
Good to go? Should I change anything? Did I forget something like some important component or anything?
Will use Vista x86
 
For a keyboard, the G15 is a great choice, lots of functionality.

Another excellent option is the Saitek Eclipse II - it has a great feel to it, and the backlighting looks great too. :D
 
I have G15 atm and I barely use any of its functions ever! Beside backlight.

Never used macros, raaarely use screen. Dunno, would rather want something thats easier for my hands and more comfortable :)


So, rest of stuff is good? Should I change something or buy something more? 7 days left, checking with newegg how to order now, seems I can't use my credit card ~~

I was just checking motherboard and at specifications it says: Memory Standard DDR2 1200

And memory is 1000. Does it mean it won't work???

Also read some reviews, seems like you need floppy drive to install something so raid will work?? I don't plan on having floppy -.-
And someone mentioned he has PSU at bottom(like I will have) and its kinda troublesome having cables from all way below going to top :s


And just read that case got no HDD coolers or anything to help them and they overheat :X
Should I get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150085 will it fit?
 
"Memory Standard DDR2 1000" means that it will officially support DDR2 1000 RAM; you're safe.

It seems like you're a bit reluctant to use CrossFire; in that case, go with a P45 board instead. You'll still have the option of CrossFire, should you decide to use it later, and the twin x8 lanes aren't that much slower (if at all) than the twin x16 lanes, as most video cards out today don't fully utilize the bandwidth provided by an x8 slot (on their own).
 
Get the GA-EP45-DS3R that I recommended earlier. It has most of the same features as the Maximus II Formula for over $100 less.
 
What Tirades said. No reason to go with the Maximus Formula.
 
It has bad reviews :S

I'll should stick with first one I linked tbh, no harm :)

Anything else to change or add?
 
It has bad reviews :S
/QUOTE]

Take newegg reviews with a grain of salt. A good majority of them are written by total noobs.

Though if you want to pay $100 more for piece of mind over the DS3R, then get the Gigabyte X48 motherboard.

Other than the question of mobo choices, your build looks fine. Do note that you can save $50 by getting the Q9450 elsewhere:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 CPU - $280
 
I'll just stick with mobo from my post tbh, kinda like it ;P

But do I really need floppy drive to make it work??
 
You'll only need a floppy drive if you are going to install RAID drivers.

You don't really need dual x16 PCI-E slots, as most of today's video cards, on their own, don't fully utilize the full bandwidth provided by the PCI-E 1.1 (x16) slot, which is equivalent to an x8 slot on the PCI-E 2.0 bus.

Since you want to purchase the HD4870X2 in September, that tells me that you have no intention of using CrossFire. You don't need an X48 motherboard, and you don't need to spend a lot of money on a P45 board like the Maximus II Formula. If you don't like the reviews for the GA-EP45-DS3R, consider the Asus P5Q Pro instead. (And from now on, look for reviews on Google, not NewEgg. Or at least start here, as there's probably plenty of knowledgeable people who may have had some experiences with the boards you're interested in.)
 
Try to resist the e-peen boost of the Maximus Formula. We know it looks cool and all the cool kids use it, but there is no relation between price and functionality for what you want to build.

If Newegg works like european hardware stores, then most the people reviewing stuff on the website

a) have no idea what they are talking about,
b) try to justify what they bought by writing about it instead of reviewing their actual experience,
c) don't even own the piece of hardware.

Not going to wind up the discussion over DDR3 again, that happened enough times already :p Just get DDR2 and thank us for the money you saved.
 
Oh well, will pick other motherboard.
So I need floppy drive too hmm
I do plan to have raid0 with those two HDDs, gotta find out how to make that. I need to buy some raid controllers or something too right ? :S

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16821103203 , gonna buy this. Do I have to have it in pc all the time or just to make raid work ? Guide for making raid0 would be imba :)

Also should I buy some VGA cooler http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=576&name=VGA-Cooling and what about HDD cooler? Read that case I picked gets HDDs reeeeeeeally hot
 
You really only need the floppy for installing the RAID drivers, and that's really a one-time thing. (There are now several ways to update the BIOS without using a floppy drive.)

The motherboard that we've been recommending to you all have onboard RAID controllers -- and all of them support RAID 0. Once you decide on a motherboard, go to that board's manufacturer's site -- or, perform a Google search -- to find out more information.

Getting VGA and HDD coolers would be a bad idea. The case you chose, the Cosmos 1000, uses separate HDD trays that (IIRC) don't really support the use of HDD coolers. And if you use a VGA cooler on your video card, you'll void your warranty. (If you're concerned about how well your case cools, you could always choose another case.)
 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299 < mb i chose.

I read on reviews( yeye dont trust newegg reviews but they got some truth) that few people got HDDs fried because they are very close and not cooled at all :S
And that ATI card ruuuns very high with temperature.

Gonna google raid thing, got maybe any link I should look at how to set it up and what I need? :S

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131296&Tpk=P5Q-E
^ i like this one and think it's better but its out of stock. Anyone got some other website? :S
 
There is a list of online retailers in the GenHard FAQ in the first page. But stick with the P5Q Pro over the P5Q-E, as there's no significant difference between the two boards.

Don't take this the wrong way, but there are some things that you need to do yourself. Searching through Google is one of them.
 
Will do, thanks :)

But again, is that config final? Do I have to add anything else? Or i can start searching how to make things work when I order it :)
About mb:
People told me that cable got better cooling, better cable management and things are positioned more nicely. + difference in price is minor...
 
It looks like you have everything covered. Just sit on those parts over the next day or so and do some research.
 
Will do :)

I don't know how much it costs in USA but do you think I should try to make it all myself with little help of internet or pay some guy so if he screws up its not my fault ? :)
 
Read the GenHard FAQ. In addition to the list of online retailers, it has guides you could use to build the computer all by yourself. (And Google is still your best friend here....)
 
I know, seen it but was just checking in case its not expensive, worth getting it done by pro :p

In the end I'll probably make it all by myself.

Oh and I decided I won't go raid, rather 1 fast HDD and one bit slower.
 
If that "fast" hard drive you're considering is the new 300GB VelociRaptor, just stick with the two WD6400AAKS drives instead. You'll still gain a noticeably faster HDD compared to what you were using earlier.
 
Hmm, i read some amazing reviews about it and everyone keeps recommending I should pick it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136260 :S
+ with raid0 and that bigger chance of data loss hmm...


Edit: Ok this isn't really related to topic that much but I still need help QQ


I can't order from newegg since my credit card was not issued in U.S. So I checked their page and here are payment options:

• Visa
• MasterCard
• Discover
• American Express
• Newegg Preferred Account
• Bill Me Later
• Newegg Gift Certificate
• Pre-paid Company Check, Personal Check, Cashier's Check or Money Order (Note: All Prepaid Orders, including Cashier's Checks, take longer to process because they must first be cleared with the bank)
• No Purchase Orders, Fax or C.O.D. orders will be accepted. We do not currently accept international credit cards at this time.
---
So I can't use my credit card, what can I do? I have no idea what money order is or any of those things. Checked bill me later's website but not clear on that either...

What to do? How can I order my stuff ? :S
Or I'll have to find someone with credit card, give him money, he puts it on account and orders for me? That won't be so easy -.-
 
if you like overpriced hard drives that have high speed with low space, get the raptor

Though if your like 99% of people building and buying computers you want the best product for the least money, go with 2 WD6400AAKS they are nice and fast and double+ some of the Raptor, of and 1/3 or less teh price. 'm sure in RAID0 they would out preform a raptor, but thats just an educated guess.
 
Ok, I'll stick with 2 of those then, but I read I should make backups of stuff regularly since it has double chance of data loss. That I don't like.

Also edited my post before this, huge problem occurred -.-
 
Back
Top