new pc won't post.

master noran

2[H]4U
Ok so I just recieved my evga x58 sli from EVGA (I rma'd the first one, it had bent pins) and I just put everything together, and it won't post. Light light up, fans are spinning, post LCD said FF and both the mouse and keyboards cap lock and etc lights are on. But no post. Everything seems to be connected. I did but the cpu used from here and this is the first time I'm using it, I did not some discolouration (sp?) on the pins of the cpu when pulling it out of the ESD bag, it was like a sploch.

Help me out guys:(

I ran into a similar problem once with similar hardware. What it was for me, is that the person had his ram in the wrong slots. Try moving those around.

Pics of the CPU and the "discoloration" you're talking about?

I've never run into any sort of "sploch" on the CPU so I really can't say if that's gonna be an issue or not.

Contact the seller you bought the CPU from about the sploch.

I've never run into any sort of "sploch" on the CPU so I really can't say if that's gonna be an issue or not.

Contact the seller you bought the CPU from about the sploch.

I'll ask him about it, would it be safe to get some sort of spirit to try and clean the bottom of the cpu? It's a retail CPU so I could RMA it.

do you have it setup outside of the case?if not you should try that too.

do you have it setup outside of the case?if not you should try that too.

I do actually, not sure what difference it would make though. In regards to the cpu being burnt, it's just a slight discolouration and the farthest thing from black. Does it sound like it could be the cpu?

I think the most important question right now is, is it safe to wipe the botton of the i7 920 cpu with some sort of spirit.

Sorry for the double post, I went ahead and wiped the bottom of the cpu with 99% alcohol and the sploch came right off, I then let it dry for a bit just incase and still no luck. Could it have anything to do with my raid 0? I merely unplugged the hd's from the old setup and connected it to this new setup.

Here are my specs

i7 920
evga x58 sli
6gb ocz ram
2x WD 640GB
2x 5770's

I would assume it's either a MB or cpu issue? my first evga x58 sli had some bent pins, after bending them to what looked like the right place it still didin't work but I didin't think anything of it.

Hi there.I was the guy that sold master noran the CPU.

All I did was take it out my motherboard and send it to him so I am confident its ok.Also I live close to him I can goto his house and help him out.

Now Lets start.Trouble shooting here.

Before RMA you had bent CPU pins.This can short out CPU but most likely this did not happen,hell you can even run a motherboard with missing pins and bent pins.

As far as sploch goes,do nothing and do not spray or touch it.Especially touch it .Electrostatic discharge (ESD)The I7 CPUS run 80 c on load most of the time,(AIR)discoloration does not matter.

You got motherboard out of the case.and FF code.This is common problem with EVGA boards.

Make sure you have all plugged in correctly.24pin power+4/8 pin on board(if any)

Make sure BIOS chip is in place.Push in on the bios chip

Set video card in 2nd PCI slot.

1 stick of ram check manual where to put it.

Remove power cord,for a little bit of time.(10 mins)Sometimes this takes upto 12 hrs.

Remove battery

Place jumper for cmos on 2 and 3 pins.

Plug powercord into wal.

Power on machine until you see codes,pull powercord from wall.

Set jumpers back to 1 and 2 pin.

Put battery back in.

Put video card in slot 1.

Plug powercord back in.

Test computer.

I do actually, not sure what difference it would make though. In regards to the cpu being burnt, it's just a slight discolouration and the farthest thing from black. Does it sound like it could be the cpu?

I think the most important question right now is, is it safe to wipe the botton of the i7 920 cpu with some sort of spirit.

i was refering to the computer not booting up.it could be grounding out on something.
i knew a guy who went through three MB's because he couldnt run dual channel memory
and it was because of his case,he got a new case all was good.
so whenever you have trouble the first thing to do is set it up outside the case and start testing each component individually.

Oh yeah that's one thing I didn't think of: take out the battery and do the whole BIOS reset bit. The motherboard could have been set to wacky settings first before you got it.

Well there are two rest cmos buttons on the MB and I pressed both multiple times, Not sure what jumpers you're talking about Gerard.

OK try it this way.

Remove powercord.Battery.

Hold down a cmos button

While still holding cmos button ,plug power cord in,and then turn on power.

When you see codes come up ,pull powercord.

Put powercord back,battery back and test it.

Also set CPU VCore Booster,pcie jumpers all to default.Check out your manual for where they are.

Just tried the steps a few times and Nada. The blue, yellow and green LED on the MB is on meaning that everything is normal but I just get a constant FF, no post sound and nothing comes up on the screen.

Wait, did you try building the PC out side of the case? As in the motherboard is on top of the motherboard box and you're starting the PC by connecting the two power pins with a screwdriver?

Wait, did you try building the PC out side of the case? As in the motherboard is on top of the motherboard box and you're starting the PC by connecting the two power pins with a screwdriver?

The MB has the restart, power and clear cmos buttons on the MB aswell as the speaker, I've been using those. It is on a MB box just like my old setup was since I'm currently working on my case.

Hmmm, the chances of the CPU being the culprit is rather low. If you can, try another CPU or motherboard.

If it's not the cpu then what else could it be? the mb?

Yeah I'd look at the mobo.Unfortunately the most surefire way IMO to figure out if either the mobo or CPU is the culprit is to try another CPU or motherboard.

Just tried the steps a few times and Nada. The blue, yellow and green LED on the MB is on meaning that everything is normal but I just get a constant FF, no post sound and nothing comes up on the screen.

Hi there I still think it could be the motherboard,I can tell you I had the same problem with evga board before and MSI on 2 boards.One msi board took me about three days to get going.

Try to discharge cmos by removing the battery and place something on the cmos button for a few hours.

then try this again

You got motherboard out of the case.

Make sure you have all plugged in correctly.24pin power+8 pin on board

Remove power cord,for a little bit of time.(10 mins)Sometimes this takes upto 12 hrs.

Remove battery

Hold down cmos button

Plug powercord into wall

Power on machine until you see codes,pull powercord ,let go of cmos button

Put battery back in.

Plug powercord back in.

Test computer.

EDIT:Sent ya a PM.I have a spare motherboard we can try,just come by my place anytime I am always home.

Last edited:
Hi there I still think it could be the motherboard,I can tell you I had the same problem with evga board before and MSI on 2 boards.One msi board took me about three days to get going.

Try to discharge cmos by removing the battery and place something on the cmos button for a few hours.

then try this again

You got motherboard out of the case.

Make sure you have all plugged in correctly.24pin power+8 pin on board

Remove battery

Hold down cmos button

Plug powercord into wall

Power on machine until you see codes,pull powercord ,let go of cmos button

Put battery back in.

Plug powercord back in.

Test computer.

EDIT:Sent ya a PM.I have a spare motherboard we can try,just come by my place anytime I am always home.

Hey, I forgot you were in Kitchener, which is really far from sauga. I went ahead and started a RMA for the MB because that seems to be the issue, regardless EVGA sent me the wrong replacment board the first time (they sent me the old ass revision with the green and blue colourway)

If the same issues happens with the new MB i'm going to go ahead and assume it's the CPU.

Sounds good to me.Well good luck with the board.Were only 40-45 mins from each other,its a shame you have to pay for RMA again.
Well I can tell ya I built hundreds of computers,I had seen more bad x58 boards ,then all other sockets put together.

Sounds good to me.Well good luck with the board.Were only 40-45 mins from each other,its a shame you have to pay for RMA again.
Well I can tell ya I built hundreds of computers,I had seen more bad x58 boards ,then all other sockets put together.

Actually, EVGA sent me a pre paid shipping label so it's all good. Like I said, they sent me the wrong MB in the first place to I had to RMA it anyway, atleast now I'll have an idea if it was the MB or not. Assuming they don't send me a DOA motherboard :eek:

This story gets even crazier.

So I decide to call Intel to find out if I were to RMA my cpu if I would get back a D0 and the rep asked me what the issue was and I explained my symptoms. He then proceeded to tell me the problem is that I need ram that runs at 1.5V, no lower and no higher. Everything I've read says that I should have ram that's 1.65 and lower and he says otherwise.

WTF.

edit: My ram runs at 1.65v

He said that 1.65v works with some people for a certain amount and does not work at all with others. He said that the cpu's memory controller can't support that voltage or something like that.

Like I said, first I've heard of that. I've seen many other i7 builds work just fine with 1.65V RAM. With that said, see if you can get 1.5V RAM and see what happens. It's definitely worth a try after everything you've done so far.

Like I said, first I've heard of that. I've seen many other i7 builds work just fine with 1.65V RAM. With that said, see if you can get 1.5V RAM and see what happens. It's definitely worth a try after everything you've done so far.

I'll be sure to take a look, once the MB comes back.

OH LAWDY.

I just got the MB in and same crap, FF post code and thats it. I refuse to believe that the issue is with the ram because I've seen many builds with this MB and 1.65v ram that works fine. So, time to RMA the cpu? I haven't played any good games since my laptop is GPU deprived so I'm totally tweaking.

Yeah time to RMA the CPU. But did you try RAM that's actually rated for 1.5V yet?

Back