New PC randomly shuts down

Xelation

Weaksauce
Hi.. I'm new here and I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out.

I just recently built a new computer..

i7 930 cpu, X58A-UD3R motherboard and a 750W PSU with HD 5770 GPU. I am having random shut downs... It's usually when I turn on my computer (computer shuts down about 3 times after Windows fully loaded before it stops)

How can I troubleshoot this?

Basically the main thing is....

1. After using the computer for periods of time, something would randomly trigger a shutdown and computer would power off..

2. After #1, I would try to power the computer on, the computer would boot up, load windows, but shutdowns again.

3. This happens 2 more times before the shutdowns stops...

Last edited:
What kind of PSU do you have? Sounds like the PSU is bad/faulty. Is your 24 pin and 4/8 pin securely connected to the mobo?

Did you check your event log? Is it a event 41 task 63 error? I was encountering this and I solve it by disabling the onboard sound and up the voltage to the CPU

Check temperatures as well. Doesn't sound like a thermal issue but it doesn't hurt to check.

How do I check my event log?

Also I ran CoreTemp and while running prime95 full stress test, my temps are in the 60C.

- Things to check:
1. Check psu wires, make sure they are secured to mobo
2. Check event logs (where do I check this?) What does event 41 task 63 error mean?

Also, could my 750W PSU be too little for my motherboard? I am running X58A UD3R w/ i7 930, 12 gb of ram, ATI 5770 GPU.

Also I ran CoreTemp and while running prime95 full stress test, my temps are in the 60C.

- Things to check:
2. Check event logs (where do I check this?) What does event 41 task 63 error mean?

Also, could my 750W PSU be too little for my motherboard? I am running X58A UD3R w/ i7 930, 12 gb of ram, ATI 5770 GPU.

press your windows key and search for event viewer and open it to view event logs. Temps are good.

The PSU is actually overkill for your system. You could get by with 500 watts fine.

My rig had some bad ram. Would random reboot pc, blue screen sometimes. Seemed to pass the memtest that you run in windows, but I finally swapped ram into another pc, and after 1 day problem popped up in other pc. I just installed new ram, and has been ok since.

- Things to check:

what version of windows ? You could right click on "my computer" go to manage, then click event viewer. then look for everything in "RED"

Ok, I would like to remove the "random" in this topic. Its not random.

It is now shutting down before it can load up windows.. I can't get into windows to check my event log.. Could it be a bad motherboard?

Ok, I would like to remove the "random" in this topic. Its not random.

It is now shutting down before it can load up windows.. I can't get into windows to check my event log.. Could it be a bad motherboard?

how old is the computer ? have you downloaded memtest and burned to a cd ? see if it has bad memory. what about installing windows or download the live ubuntu 10cd and see if it runs with out problems. lots of things to do. never assume.

j'

I had the same problem where my computer would randomly shut off with no warning, stay off for about 5 seconds, and reboot. It would sometimes work perfectly after that or would maybe shut off and reboot again and the problem got worse as time progressed. I thought it was a bad motherboard but in the end found out it was my powersupply which I had for a bit over a year. My advice is to try swapping power supplies and try that first, especially if it's shutting off without giving bsods or anything.

My ud3r was a settings issue in the bios that made mine do it reset bios to default see if that straightens it out.

New PSU, New motherboard, New CPU, how do I test and see if it is defective ram?

PC would shut down before it can load up windows 7.

I am running MemTest 86+, will report back.

What other tests should I run from the bootable?

Quick question about MemTest86+, I am running it and so far for 2 hours it said Pass: 1, errors: 0, how long do I need to let it run for?

Last edited:
Ran it for 20 hours, 15 passes, 0 errors. Ram is OK.

What could it be..?

edit:

I found my problem. After doing the MemTest, I eliminated the RAM. I then thought it was the HDD, so I booted into safe mode and restored the windows to when I first installed Windows (its a new PC)... Then, it worked.. So I proceeded to install my GPU drivers (ATI Radeon 5770), and BOOM. It shuts down.

After knowing for sure it is the graphics card, I disabled it in safe mode, and windows boot up! I then uninstalled and installed the drivers again. and it shuts down again! Now I'm 100% sure it is the graphics card. After looking closely at the box, I noticed that it had an older sticker (the seal, that was cut) It turns out Best Buy gave me a fucking refurbished 5770 Radeon!!!! I'm on my way to BBY to own them now.

Is there a problem with this card and Win7?

Last edited:
Glad you found the fix. Be aware that the wrong pair of CAT's can make a seemingly good card work like junk. Never install drivers off a CD that comes with the card.

First, I didn't find a fix. I need serious help I can't figure out whats going on.

I refromatted Windows. FRESH new Windows installed. Installed 10.4 display drivers of the website, and it shuts down!!! Went to BBY and got the same card, NEW.

What the hell is going on?

Do I need to update my board BIOS?

Wait, did you return and get a replacement HD 5770?

So the PC ONLY shuts down when you install the ATI drivers?

Yes, I went and got a replacement HD 5770, same exact card.

And yes, the PC ONLY shuts down AFTER I install the ATI drivers. Once I go into safe mode to disable the card, will the PC works. I eliminated all my problems down to what is causing it but I don't understand whats going on and how to fix it.

Could it be the motherboard? I don't wanna update BIOS unless I need to. I already installed the chipset and everything on the motherboard CD.!

I'm seriously stumped, if anyone can provide any insight it would help

Last edited:
Install the latest drives for the mobo from the website, not the CD. As for the video card drive, only install the video card driver, not the whole package.

I only installed the display driver for the video card. Not the whole package.

What drivers should I install from Gigabyte's Website? Should I flash the BIOS or no?

I wanna try everything possible to make this work but if it doesn't I might as well save my time and buy a different card.

I only installed the display driver for the video card. Not the whole package.

What drivers should I install from Gigabyte's Website? Should I flash the BIOS or no?

I wanna try everything possible to make this work but if it doesn't I might as well save my time and buy a different card.

Don't need to flash the BIOs. Install the latest drivers for your motherboard from the website. All of the latest drivers.

Hmmm, try the whole package this time.

I tried the whole package the first time and it didn't work, so I don't think that matters.

I know it has something to do with my motherboard and the graphics card, I don't understand what else it could be...

I eliminated all known problems. Does anyone have the same setup as I do and if you do, do you have any problems similar to mine?

Does anyone have the same setup as I do and if you do, do you have any problems similar to mine?

I've recommended and seen that same setup dozens of times. You're the only one with this issue with the same setup AFAIK.

If you can try another ATI card, not a HD 5770 to rule out a ATI issue.

Well if installing latest drivers for my motherboard doesn't work, I am going to try and get the 5870, if I can't get that then I am going to open this GTX 470 that I got.

I'm downloading the latest driver for my motherboard, but theres SATA2 and SATA3 drivers, I'm not sure which one to get...?

Done installing drivers... Let's see what happens.

So far it is staying on longer than it usually does but I don't wanna take that as it being fixed.

Can I run anything to make sure its stable?

----

Ok, after 3 minutes it shuts down, lol....

---

Installed motherboard drivers, same problems. Anything else I should try?

When it shuts down, in event viewer it shows EVENT ID: 7001 and 10005

Last edited:
Hmm. all right. uninstall the drivers completely. Let Windows 7 only use the stock/generic GPU driver. Then try just updating via Windows Update.

Uninstall all motherboard drivers and display drivers? -- Then install every updates in Windows Updates?

Just uninstall the display drivers. Then install all windows updates
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Uninstalled the display drivers, used Drive Sweeper to make sure everything is wiped clean, installed 26 important Windows7 updates.

Now installing display driver again. Will report back.

Edit:

Installed display drivers, rebooted the computer upon finished installing and within 2 minutes of letting it sit there it shuts down.

I am running out of patience lol. Do you have any other suggestions or should I just buy a nVidia card?

Last edited:
I don't think this is a video card issue. It strikes me as illogical that a video driver would be able to be the direct cause of this. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but it's so utterly bizarre that I'd look elsewhere first. It's possible that the ATI driver is doing something that the board has a problem with-but if that were the case, than there would be widespread reports of people having this issue. And they're not. You've already replaced the graphics card once, which likely eliminates that as a cause (two failed cards in a row is EXTREMELY improbable).

It seems to me that you have a motherboard issue. Either a BIOS that has a problem with the 5770, or a bad board. There's a (slim) chance it could be the power supply flaking out, but given that the system runs fine otherwise I think that's rather far-fetched.

I know you don't want to flash the BIOS but I'd recommend giving that a shot, and if that doesn't work I'd RMA the board.

And just to clarify: Does it actually go through the whole shutdown procedure, or does it just power off? And does it go into standby or reboot, or does it turn completely off?

Ok, here is my full story on this new computer and how it gave me so much problems.

I bought all of my parts new, installed it and everything went fine for about a week. Everything working fine meaning all drivers were installed, etc.

Then, when I was at class, my computer died (PSU fried, smelled the burning in the PSU fans -- RMA'd the PSU and got a new 750W)

I installed the new PSU thinking that was the end, - wrong. The computer starts to power off instantly, it doesn't reboot or goes into standy. It just instantly powers off. So I'm wondering to myself whats happening, when I thought it was random, it started to shut down when windows boot up. After powering it on and having it shut down 2-3 times, it seems to stop, (this only happens once). Once it stopped I played the computer for 12 hours, and when I went to click shut down, it instantly powerrs off right when I click shut down - it doesn't go through the process.

So I turned on the computer, it went through the screen where it asks if you want to reboot into safemode, etc... Then I started windows normally and it shuts down again, and again and again.

Now, I went and returned the motherboard and when I took out the motherboard I noticed that the pins were damaged on the CPU, so I took both motherboard and CPU back to microcenter. Got NEW board AND CPU. Built the computer with the two new parts, computer boot up and after a few minutes it shuts down. So now I'm even more frustrated. Then I ran the MemTest86+ for 20 hours (15 passes, 0 errors). I ruled out memory as a factor. I then did a system restore on my OS in Safe Mode.. Computer boots up, I then installed Catalyst 10.4 drivers for Win7 64bit and rebooted. After 2 minutes of playing around in windows, it shuts down.

Now I eliminated and pointed all the problems to the HD Radeon 5770. I returned the 5770 and got the same one from Best Buy. Plugged the card in, reinstalled drivers, and AGAIN, it shuts down. Now it has something to do with the drivers, and this is where I'm stuck.

I have a GTX 470 card waiting to be open and try but first I am determined to find out why this is happening to my setup.

I literally placed all my parts.. PSU, Motherboard, CPU, Graphics Card, so what the hell could it be? My Intel SSD 80 GB HDD??

Try installing on an actual hard drive, not a SSD. See what happens.

I have a 1.5 TB HDD that I was gonna use for storage so I'll go ahead and use that.

I am literally trying to refrain from opening the GTX 470 but if all fails I have to do it.

If anyone has more suggestions, feel free to add in..

--

I don't think it could be the SSD, I found this topic on Toms Hardware..

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276896-33-radeon-5750-display-driver-stopped-responding

Its about the 5750 with drivers problems but could be similar to my 5770.

Last edited:
Back