New PC or Keep Xbox 360

I was stating that now is not the time to buy a 7800gt.

QFT - Either wait for the new Nvidia cards and save up some extra cash for that, or wait until the new cards drive the price of the 7800gt down to save you some extra dough.

I'm a converted Xbox 360 Gamer here. About the only thing I have been playing on a PC has been MMO's anyway. The reality is that I don't have the time to dedicated to play those games anymore combined witht the fact that it costs so much to continually upgrade to get the best graphical experience. I fully expect the 360 to satisfy my gaming needs for the next 24-36 months.

OP keeps bringing up FPS games though. Sorry to be a !!!!!! but PC pwns consoles at them... sorry. I think even CoD2 being better on xbox360 is a bunch of hype. It might hiccup here and there but the textures look better and the multiplayer is much more robust. PC BF2 is also top dog in MP FPS out there too. Certainly nothing better on xbox360.

Yeah pc's are definitely better for FPS.

I say, sell the 360, buy a new PC, and then get a 360 in a year or two, because by then they will be more available, and you know the price is going to come down after the PS3 comes out. There will be more games for it by then as well.

PC can't be beat by some *obsolete-in-3-months-hardware-wise* console

LOL this is hands down the most backwards comment you could possibly make. If by "pc" you mean "360" and "console" you mean "pc" then wow, you nailed it right on the head. Id like to see that research of yours that shows game manufactures realizing this april that xbox 360 isnt powerful enough to develop for. Do you know anything about the hardware, or even the architecture of the 360? Build me a $400 gaming computer thats gonna run the newest games at full frame rate in 5 years and then maybe we'll talk. Im actually still laughing at that comment.

360 all the way, it costs just as much as a decent video card and still outperforms.

sitheris said:
PC can't be beat by some *obsolete-in-3-months-hardware-wise* console

To the people who have quoted this:

Am I the only one thinking that this was satire? ; /

Anywho, I'd keep the 360 and build a cheap PC. I have a 9800Pro and it's just fine. Hell, I'll probably use it for 1-2 more years before I upgrade. You'll be just fine with a 9800Pro, but you could probably afford to go up one notch. If you want some light gaming for the one's that you can't/don't play on the 360, you'll be perfectly suited with that. At least I am...

Build a treehouse...you can have all your friends over, and have a sign that says " NO GIRLS ALLOWED." :D

I had that choice, and went with a PC. I've enjoyed the PC a TON more than I would have any console, the gaming experience is so much better.

EarlMcFish said:
Build a treehouse...you can have all your friends over, and have a sign that says " NO GIRLS ALLOWED." :D

But then how would you come over?

Jeff

Keep the Xbox360. We are getting to a point in time where there is likely going to be a better game selection and level of quality on these next gen consoles. The publisher and developers know where their money comes from and will continue to pay less attention to the PC market.

playrh8r said:
Hi all,

Up until about an hour ago I was planning on building myself a gaming pc:

athlon 64 3700+
evga sli motherboard
evga 7800 GT
2gb corsair memory

Until I stopped by a local retailer and saw an Xbox 360 premium on the shelf. I bought it.

Its still sealed in my living room and I am trying to decide on keeping it and just building a basic computer for surfing the web, downloading, some minor html development, or selling it and build the above PC.

I don't have an HDTV, but I do have a dell 19" crt that can do pretty high resolutions, so if I kept the xbox I would do 720p via vga.

What do you guys think the best gaming experience would be if I could only choose one?

thanks,

Jeff

No comments from the peanut gallery please.

If it isn't on the topic, please don't post.

junehhan said:
Keep the Xbox360. We are getting to a point in time where there is likely going to be a better game selection and level of quality on these next gen consoles. The publisher and developers know where their money comes from and will continue to pay less attention to the PC market.

I don't see this happening. More likely, the publishers will realize that there's a fair bit of money to be made in taking their console games, adding a few graphic effects, and releasing them on PC. The future's in games like Splinter Cell that can be sold to both PC and console gamers, and in middleware technologies that help developers target additional platforms.

i would keep the xbox 360 and wait until vista to upgrade, unless your computer has trouble playing HL2 or equivalent

Molingrad said:
i would keep the xbox 360 and wait until vista to upgrade, unless your computer has trouble playing HL2 or equivalent

The computer hasnt been built yet.

Jeff

Wait until Vista, DX10, and the newer shader specs.

Then build a computer, all the while enjoying your Xbox 360.

Tiny said:
Wait until Vista, DX10, and the newer shader specs.

Then build a computer, all the while enjoying your Xbox 360.

I agree with Tiny.. keep the 360.. build a compter later

what's the point of building a computer later? with the way trends move in technology, if all you do is "wait for the next best thing," you'll be waiting forever.

build a computer, buy good hardware, and upgrade often, just like everyone else who tries to keep up with pc gaming.

I was a WoW player, once. I even got a 2405fpw for that reason alone. But I found out that WoW took up my time; TOO much of it. So I quit.

I wasn't going to pick up a 360, but I bought into the hype, and luckily, I was able to score one before Christmas. Glad I bought it. I have three games (CoD2, PGR3, DoA4), and those three games will wind up lasting me a LONG time... possibly even through the lean summer months where releases are far and few between. Of course, with the games I have, I can literally just pick up the controller, play for a few games, and just quit. Not so with WoW.

But regardless... it's worth it. Live, downloadable demos, Xbox live Arcade, streaming of music and movies from another PC, able to play games online and speak to people without 3rd party software (Ventrilo, Teamspeak), and most importantly...

A sense of accomplishment. Let's compare CoD2, for example, 360 vs. PC. The one major advantage is that the 360 gives the player the incentive to play at the hardest level - Veteran. The PC doesn't necessarily do that.

Anyways... keep it. Most people on here seem to agree.

playrh8r said:
The computer hasnt been built yet.

Jeff

i mean if the computer your using to post cant handle hl2 (as in the computer you are currently using)

what's the point of building a computer later? with the way trends move in technology, if all you do is "wait for the next best thing," you'll be waiting forever.

when DX10 comes out so will new DX10 video cards only what 6 months or so away?(this is based on what ive heard so far on the release of vista but who knows if it will get pushed back)) so my logic is why spend $400 on a DX9 card and a new rig if your current one can play the games of today just fine at a decent res. and fps?

While it's true that you have to jump in the pool to swim, I wouldn't jump in just yet if I were you.

Wait until vista and dx10. Sure you could build right now, but that would be like diving in when they were emptying the pool. Keep the 360 and love it, I do, more and more each day.

Alright guys, last warning. Please keep to the topic at hand, if you can't give the OP some good advice, then please don't post.

or you can do plan c

get a gaming gf. split the cost on a new gaming pc. keep the 360. and when the ps3 comes out, split the cost on that too!.

whaaaaat?.... its what I did... well I got lucky. She just so happens to play games as much as I do.

qbert3 said:
or you can do plan c

get a gaming gf. split the cost on a new gaming pc. keep the 360. and when the ps3 comes out, split the cost on that too!.

whaaaaat?.... its what I did... well I got lucky. She just so happens to play games as much as I do.

My fiance plays atari and nes games.. but the only PC game she plays is solitare. Not much stress for a 7800 GT :)

BTW I found the EVGA 7800 GT in a combo with the EVGA sli motherboard for $359, i'm pretty stoked now on my new PC. I'm sad that I will be parting with the sealed xbox 360. It has been so hard staring at the box, but I think its best that I sell it now, make a little profit and wait until more games come out.

For now I'll be enjoying Q4, Bf2, UT2k4, and maybe WOW.

Jeff

Sell the 360 on Ebay and build you a PC. I have Call of Duty 2 for the PC and can kick ass with it on my PC. I tried COD2 on the 360 recently and couldn't do jack shit with it with the 360's controller. Sports games would probably be a different matter if that's what you like but if your into FPS'ers then nothing beats the keyboard/mouse combo.

Just my 2 cents. I guess it all really boils down to what type games your into.

Woot! I just got $560 + $20 shipping on ebay for it :)

Time to finish building the PC

Jeff

You'll regret it. Every day I download a different demo and every day I am more and more amazed at how much better the 360 is than ANY pc I've seen.

playrh8r said:
Woot! I just got $560 + $20 shipping on ebay for it :)

Time to finish building the PC

Jeff

good man. Xbox 360 doesn't have any good games out, anyway. If for no other reason than Supreme Commander this year, you made the right choice. :D

</rigorous applause>

i sold the 360 made a lot of cash and did up the pc, im also getting a 1080p lcd tv and a ps3

Attean said:
good man. Xbox 360 doesn't have any good games out, anyway. If for no other reason than Supreme Commander this year, you made the right choice. :D

</rigorous applause>

Um, have you actually played the demos on the 360 with a HDTV? If you have, I doubt you'd be saying this. The only demo I thought was blah is pgr3. I jsut started playing condemed, and its amazing.

Dr. Who said:

build a computer, buy good hardware, and upgrade often, just like everyone else who tries to keep up with pc gaming.

...not really.

You get clock upgrades in the GPU world often, but getting a new DX system isn't something that happens ever month.

Back