New PC build questions.

walwalka

2[H]4U
I'm looking to build a new pc or buy a new laptop, I haven't decided so I want some opinions for what I should look into for the build

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
PC will be used for light gaming: CS:S, CS:GO, LoL at 1080p or possible whatever the resolution of a 21:9 monitor is. I would like to play them completely maxed out or close to it. Other than than, MS office and web browsing. Other than that I will be using hyper-v for some virtual machines for school, so memory is a must.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1000-1200 depending on what I'm getting for the amount. Shipping and tax are not included

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
U.S. Wooster ohio

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, RAM, Motherboard, CPU cooler, Video Card, Power supply, case, SSD. That seems like everything, I don't need a DVD or blu-ray drive

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I'm not reusing anything

6) Will you be overclocking?
Maybe, mildly

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
23" 1920x1080 or 29" 2560x1080

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Black friday or around that time

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
USB 3.0 on back and on front, sata 6gb/s, crossfire in the future

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes I have a license and 64bit

I'm not going to be use it heavily, but I want a machine that is plenty powerful and is not going to let me down.

I currently have a laptop with an i7 3632qm and like the overall performance of it. I'm just not sure what I actually need.

I was also contemplating this laptop as well:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MMMMMX2...lid=3S9DZ5U52FPBO&coliid=I3LMH4TRFVNRUY&psc=1

Thanks!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you're fine with the existing performance of your laptop, why get another one? Also, why get a PC?

I guess I should have rephrased that, I'm fine with the CPU performance. But being a laptop without a dedicated video card, it does not game that well. I'm going to do some more gaming and upgrade for my virtual machines I have been running.

I would like to build something again, I'm tired if having to unhook and rehook my laptop back up every time I go to class.

Back