New PC build but having doubts

Moflo

n00b
So it is time again for a new PC, mi three year old i7 930 is getting a bit slow. This means a lot of reading and looking around to find the right components. I work in the 3D content creation, so it has to be something powerful.
And this is what I came up with:

Intel Core i7 4930K 3,4GHz and the Asus P9X79 mobo
MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti Gaming 3G, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL9 32GB (8x4GB)
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD
Corsair CX 750M 80Plus PSU
Corsair H90 liquid cooling

I wasn't aware that there where so many Corsair products on mi list :D
So in general I am pretty much sold on this set up. But there are some doubts about the PSU, I know that not every thing Corsair is gold. But I couldn't find anything negative on the web about this model.

And then there is the H90 sealed cooling. Everybody seams to have issues with me going for a liquid cooling solution. At first some one recommended the Noctua NH-D14 but after reading all about it hear on HardOCP I don't see it as an option. Just cant sacrifice 2 memory slots.So I took a look at the Noctua NH u14s, but since I can get the H90 for the same price I just don't see the point.

Than there is that Samsung SSD which should be alright for my needs. I don't have an SSD right now, so it will be my first. I took a look at some of Kingstons V300 or HyperX 3K but the software that comes with it is not that great. And as I am a first timer in the SSD department, maybe I'm better of with the Samsung??

So there you go. Sorry for a post that long but I like being thorough so you don't have to ask questions later on. It would be nice to get a little feedback on some of these components.
Thank's in advance and I hope I'm in the right Sub-forum :confused:

I promise that you will be just as happy with a smaller case, lian li case, matx board, 4770k, all in one water cooling and a super faster video card, R9 290x or 780 Geforce. Use onboard audio, don't get an optical drive. Get you a 240gb SSD and a mechanical 3tb harddrive for storage. Save a ton of money, get something midsized or matx and the speed will be there. Also, you don't need 16gb of ram, just go with 8.

Thanks, that was an option. But I'm not to happy with the Haswell because it has just 1 PCI x16 and I was going with 32 GB of RAM. Most people working in that business have about 16 o 32. Right now I have 12 GB and it's not enough, considering that windows wants 4 already. On top of that Haswel has 2 memory channels with 25.6 GB/s of bandwidths. Meanwhile I get 4 memory channels of 59.7 GB/s on the Ivy Bridge. Considering I do a lot of rendering and it depends all on the CPU and the memory I know my graphic card might be overkill.
Oh! and what is with that Haswell 8 core coming out this year, should I be waiting for that? I guess it will have an astronomic price tag.

But you might be right with that 240GB SSD and I do already have the mechanical harddrive.

OK figured out this should be in the General Hardware Sub-forum. Am a bit slow today, so I will go over there and start a new threat. :eek:

All looks good but your seriously going to want to get a bigger SSD than 120.

I have the Samsung 120GB 840 Evo... Its fast... its a beast but that 120GB limit SUCKS!!!!!

30-40GB ish for Windows 7, than by the time you get a game or two and some programs.. you got limited to no space... Its a hassle and a pain in the ass. 250gb model should set you quite well and will give you more program room.

I second that 120 gb SSD is too small. Especially if you play Battlefield 4 and want to load some other games. 240-256 gb is reasonably priced at slightly over $100 if you get a deal.

What video card are you on now? You might want to hold out for the new Nvidia cards this summer or fall. The 750ti makes them look really promising.

As far as the Haswell 8 core goes Maya does support more cores but it doesn't scale as well as you would think. Look at some benchmarks and see.

My new build, I just use the SSD for the OS and World of Warcraft, and it's okay.. I figured if the 750GB SSDs went under $300 I might snag one for games.. I got a 3TB HDD for my games.

My new build, I just use the SSD for the OS and World of Warcraft, and it's okay.. I figured if the 750GB SSDs went under $300 I might snag one for games.. I got a 3TB HDD for my games.

What model SSD you running? Was interested in how fast the load times are with one in WoW.

I know the feeling. I put together a list of parts for a new PC I'm building soon and it wasn't until the next day that I noticed it was nothing but Corsair and ASUS. The only thing that isn't is the Western Digital HDD. The SSD is Corsair though. ASUS optical drive, motherboard and GPU. Corsair case, SSD, PSU and RAM. I swear it wasn't intentional.

So it is time again for a new PC, mi three year old i7 930 is getting a bit slow. This means a lot of reading and looking around to find the right components. I work in the 3D content creation, so it has to be something powerful.

So in general I am pretty much sold on this set up. But there are some doubts about the PSU, I know that not every thing Corsair is gold. But I couldn't find anything negative on the web about this model.

And then there is the H90 sealed cooling. Everybody seams to have issues with me going for a liquid cooling solution. At first some one recommended the Noctua NH-D14 but after reading all about it hear on HardOCP I don't see it as an option. Just cant sacrifice 2 memory slots.So I took a look at the Noctua NH u14s, but since I can get the H90 for the same price I just don't see the point.

Than there is that Samsung SSD which should be alright for my needs. I don't have an SSD right now, so it will be my first. I took a look at some of Kingstons V300 or HyperX 3K but the software that comes with it is not that great. And as I am a first timer in the SSD department, maybe I'm better of with the Samsung??

So there you go. Sorry for a post that long but I like being thorough so you don't have to ask questions later on. It would be nice to get a little feedback on some of these components.

Dude, model my sig and you'll be all set... :D Here's the link for what I did - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1802295 Should help you out a lot

And your right, Corsair makes awesome stuff...

Last edited:
Does your X58 motherboard support 6 Core Xeon's? Might be a way to upgrade and keep the high memory capacity (and save some money).

Something like the Asus Sabretooth.

Don't use Kingston SSD, their nano flash tech isnt reliable; I had a bad experience with it. I'd stick w/ either a OCZ (Toshiba) or Samsung SSD. Also, having owned a Noctua NHU14S, it maybe too big to fit in your case so get the Noctua NHU12S. When it comes to PSUs, be sure it's modular so cable connecting is "a la carte". Corsair makes good stuff, their memory does the job and their warranty claim process is painless. I have a brand new EVGA 1000 G2 I'm willing to sell you if you want details.

Back