New Partial Build

DarkStarr

Limp Gawd
I am looking at moving from my am3 setup to an i7. I just dont know if its worth it now or if I should wait. I can get a i7 950 from microcenter for $200 and an evga 3 way sli board for another $200 at microcenter. I can get ram to fill it and have some for whats left of this pc for $90 on here. Then I am looking at another GTX 275 maybe but that could wait. Thing is will a Antec Earthwatts 750 be enough for an OCed 950, 12gb ddr3 SLI gtx 275s (possibly a 3rd later) and several drives? I also would need a case, preferably a full tower but something not so pricey if possible.

1)What's the specs of your current PC?
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

The Earthwatts 750W will not be enough for that setup.

If you want even better help or actual help, please answer the rest of the questions (Questions 2-6, 8-10) in the sticky titled "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!"

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc Pretty much everything and some Folding.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included? Probably around $800 at most.
3) Where do you live? Kansas City, Missouri
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need. I need some ram, found some XMS3 on here for $125 so that and whats in my current PC could be pulled. What I really need is case, mobo, psu, and CPU.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model. I will be reusing all my drives and both my GPUs, the heatsink will be reused as well, CD drive will be reused and another probably added later.
6) Will you be overclocking? Yes
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have? I have a 32'' LCD
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Likely not till January.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc. SLI or Xfire anything else is extra.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Yes, 7 x64

Current specs are:

AM3 Phenom II X4 Black Edition 955BE C2 @ 3.9 Ghz (200 x 19.5)
8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 @ 1600 Mhz 9.9.9.24 2T
Asus M4A79XTD Evo
3x Hitachi 1Tb SATA-II
EVGA GTX 275 SuperClocked
MSI GTX 275 Twin Frozr OC
Antec Earthwatts 750 Watt
Antec Nine Hundred
Vizio 32" LCD

Not worth the upgrade at all. It's gonna be about a year or so before you really need a CPU upgrade. Maybe six months if you're that hardcore.

Well part of it is I am thinking about having 2 systems but I just was wondering about the costs of it. (Mainly the costs of the new parts not what I will need for the current PC) Also when the sandy bridge CPUs are released the prices should drop, so it should cost less at that point.

Well part of it is I am thinking about having 2 systems but I just was wondering about the costs of it. (Mainly the costs of the new parts not what I will need for the current PC).
Ok now you've confused me: You want two systems and you've mentioned pulling parts from your old system for the new system but you have not mentioned at all what parts you'll be using to replace those parts in the old.

So basically please explain very clearly what you want do. Upgrade? Build a secondary gaming PC with all new parts? Build a primary gaming PC with reused parts? etc

Also when the sandy bridge CPUs are released the prices should drop, so it should cost less at that point.

When Sandy Bridge CPUs are released, Intel will not dropping the price of their current Core i7 or Core i5 line. It simply does not make sense from a business perspective for Intel to do that. In addition, when the Core i7 and Core i5 CPUs were released, barely any worthwhile Intel socket 775 Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad CPU had a price drop. In fact the Q9550 is still the same price as it was two years ago when the Core i7 CPUs were released.

Sorry basically I was considering pulling my GPUs and hard drives from my current pc and just figuring out the cost of building the second and rebuild this one with a new drive and GPU later. Now that I figured some stuff out I see that the $800 would be gone extremely quick so probably not worth it unless I really need to upgrade.

Back