• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New OCer, need some help

Joined
Jul 4, 2005
Messages
601
This is my first time doing this. I'm using nTune. Have Asus A8N-SLI w/ single 6800GT, Athlon 64 3500Win, 1.0Gb ram, and using Windows xp x64. When I open nTune I get a warning that PCI clock is set to track the HT bus, and to disable before preceding. I've looked through my Asus owner's manual, and through the bios itself. I can't see how to change this setting. I see PCI clock syncronization setting but not sure if it applies or what the right setting should be. I have it set to 33.3mHz. How do[Can] I make this adjustment to PCI HT bus tracking?
thanks in advance.
 
from what i have heard, using ntune isnt the best way to overclock, it causes all sorts of problems

going through the bios is still the best way to oc imo
 
In bios, set pci clock to auto, and set htt to 201. Then when you use ntune or preferrably Clockgen to oc, the pci bus will be locked.
 
SpoogeMonkey said:
In bios, set pci clock to auto, and set htt to 201. Then when you use ntune or preferrably Clockgen to oc, the pci bus will be locked.

Is there another name for HTT? because my bios doesn't seem to have that. A8N-SLI, Asus. I've been doing some reading on this, but why do I want to use clockgen as opposed to just going through the bios?
thanks.
 
What mobo do you have? My DFI calls it cpu bus I think, I will check when I get home. I would not use any software programs to oc.
 
runLoganrun said:
Is there another name for HTT? because my bios doesn't seem to have that. A8N-SLI, Asus. I've been doing some reading on this, but why do I want to use clockgen as opposed to just going through the bios?
thanks.

If you use clockgen, then windows will report a different clock speed than what you are actually using. This isn't a problem for most people, but for some programs (such as VMWare) it causes a problem.

Lyquist

P.S. Going through the bios is the best way in my experience.
 
ClockGen is fine for minor tweaking in Windows and finding the highest stable OC. I like Bios better also, but it does save some time when all you are changing is the HTT. You don't even have to restart Prime95 :).
 
runLoganrun said:
Is there another name for HTT? because my bios doesn't seem to have that. A8N-SLI, Asus. I've been doing some reading on this, but why do I want to use clockgen as opposed to just going through the bios?
thanks.

In bios, go to Advanced then down to Jumper Free Configuration. Set Overclock Profile to manual, which will make CPU Frequency available to change (this is the HTT).

Clockgen just makes it easier to find your limits. Be sure to change htt to at least 201in bios, or your pcie bus will be unlocked. Once you find a reasonable, stable oc w/clockgen, set it in bios. Then continue. Its just quicker than bumping things in bios a couple notices, reboot, make sure it works, reboot, back to bios, reboot, etc........
 
The only thing that ClockGen is a little quirky about is the voltage control. It worked on my Neo4 Plat SLI, it doesn't work on my Abit AN8-SLI. Also, if you're changing memory timings. Good idea to do that in Bios also as sometimes Windows based utilities (A64 Tweaker) will freeze when you change from say Cas 2 to 2.5 in Windows.
 
thanks guys.
If I do it with Clockgen though, not all the settings I need are available right? Like HT multiplier and Mem voltage? So do I have to go back and forth between? It does seem like right through the bios is the best way to do it. Just tons of reboots I guess. And PCI-E just gets left alone?
 
OK,
Settings in my Asus A8N-SLI bios.

HTT Frequency = CPU frequency
So does HTT multiplier = LDT = Hyper Transport Frequency?
DDR Voltage = Memory Voltage?
and PCI lock= PCI clock synchronization mode? (which should be set to
33.33MHz?)
What/where is Memory Divider?
Where is chipset voltage?

For RAM timings:
I've got CAS Latency
but does RAS precharge = Row precharge?
and Cycle time = Min Ras# active time?
command per clock (CPC) = ??

If I've got these in right the order, in the bios they're different than the way I've read about them. Can I just go ahead and switch to 1t for the whole process? I've got 1G Corsair XMS super low latency DDR400 RAM.

I hope that's not way too much, any help is appreciated.
 
Eclipse,

Thanks for the tip on the guide. I have a few question though relating it to my mobo/bios.
LDT/FSB frequency ratio: Is that the same as CPU multiplier?
Is CPU/FSB Frequency ratio the same as HyperTransport Frequency?
CPU VID Special Control: I can't find that one
Chip Set Voltage Control: I can't find this one either
So DRAM Voltage Control is going to be DDR Voltage, Right?

Thanks for any help.
 
LDT/FSB ratio is what sets the speed of the link between the cpu and chipset, better known at the HyperTransport link (HT link)

CPU/FSB is the cpu multi ;)

for the two VID options, your bios is probably different here. Vcore or something about CPU voltage is most likely it. time to hunt down some pictures :D
http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTEwNDM0MDc1NDdpTHh4S3dpRXZfMl8yOF9sLmdpZg==
in jumper-free configuration

DRAM Voltage is the memory voltage, yes
 
Yeah, I got the cpu voltage. It's chipset voltage that I can't find. Could it be that it's fixed on this board?
And it say's DDR not DRAM, but that has to be memory right?
Thanks!
 
There is no chipset voltage adj. on the asus boards (at least not on the sli-dlx board). DDR is the dram voltage. Let me know if you need more help as I still have the manual to my old sli-dlx mobo (which reminds me I really gotta send that, and get my neo2 plat manual back)
 
Back
Top